Sign in to follow this  

Interested in what you might recommend given the following parameters:

For bass jigs 3/8 oz-1/2oz. (maybe a bit heavier, but rarely)

6'6" or 6"8" (no longer)

less than $200

Couple with 8.6 oz. reel

Also, maybe related or not: What do you think of the Daiwa Light and Tough rods as compared with Avids (of which I have a few)? What level of rod is it? I know it is an older line.

Thanks!

Shimano Crucial 7' MH/F or the 6' 10" MH/F, both are right around $150 or so.  I have the 6' 10" MH/XF and it is an excellent rod.

Later, :)

I own a few l and t's and love them, but they are flippin sticks. Why not over 6'8?  bought two carrost sticks that are 7'3 MH and they are awsome.

Cabelas has their XML 6'6" worm/jig rods on sale for $29.99. Recently picked up the worm/jig rod and the 6'10" pitching rod and love both. Great sensitivity and overall fantastic rod. For only $29.99(usually $139.99) you can't go wrong. Definentely worth checking out.

For jigs i would use nothing under a 7' rod. You really need the power to drive the hook home you know. I use a Powell Max 705C and a Kistler Argon 7' 1" for jigs. They are both under $200 and they are both SWEEEEET!!!

Use the length you're comfortable with and don't worry about what others say you 'need' in order to fish a jig.

You don't need a 7' rod to fish a jig.  A 6'6" rod will do just fine.  My jig rod is a 6'9 Kistler Helium II MH.  And as anyone who fishes with me can attest, it has plenty of 'power' to drive a hook home.  

I do my jig fishing with a 7 ft MH rod, and 50 to 65lb pp. Its a chore on a 7ft rod, I couldn't imagine dragging one out with a 6 and a half rod.

My most important requirement when selecting a jig rod is what type of cover?

Surface matted vegetation & buck brush:

TD-V701MHRB Team Daiwa-V

Length: 7' 0

Line: 10-20 lb

Lure: ¼ - 1

Power: Medium Heavy

Action: Extra Fast

Sparse vegetation:

Shimano Crucial CRC-X610MH

Length: 6' 10

Line: 10-20 lb

Lure: 3/8-3/4

Power: Medium Heavy

Action: Extra Fast

The Daiwa is an older model that I use as an all around jig rod when I want to use the Crucial for craw worms/worms.

Be patient and keep an eye on our Flea Market. You might find a

G. Loomis IMX MBR844C in your price range. This rod is a proven

winner and something you will fish your whole life.

If you want a shorter rod, the Avid AVC68MXF would serve as both

your soft plastics rig and light jig rod. The spinning version is the

AVS68MXF.

8-)

Cabelas has their XML 6'6" worm/jig rods on sale for $29.99. Recently picked up the worm/jig rod and the 6'10" pitching rod and love both. Great sensitivity and overall fantastic rod. For only $29.99(usually $139.99) you can't go wrong. Definentely worth checking out.

I would get this rod - don't be put off by the $29 sale price.  Then I would do what RoadWarrior suggested - monitor the flea market until something like a Loomis or St. Croix show up for you to pounce on.  You'll probably like the XML enough that you'll want a couple until you score the Loomis.

In my opinion you should choose the most sensitive rod based on your feel. A Jig at times can be hard to detect. I found that asking this type of question you will get a multitude of answers. Waht is most imprtant is the sensitivity and that can be very subjective based on personal preferance. I use two differant Rods based on size of jig and conditions. One is a Falcon Cara and one is a Kistler Argon. 6'10" and 7'1". Heavy and MH. Both can be used for a 1/4-3/4 oz jig. It is best to have a Fast or XFast action. Also keep in mind that Floro or Braid will help in sensitivity choose based on water clarity. My 2 cents.