Sign in to follow this  
kingfisher85

weakest link or knot?

so i am hearing alot about the palomar knot being the best knot to use.. myself ive always used the ol fishermans knot (improved clinch) and never really had any problems.. is there really that big of difference between knots? i believe with rigging (ropes or cables) when the rope or whatever you are using it bent (such as around the eye of a hook) it loses up to 50% of its strength.. im assuming thats the same with mono fishing line, right?

I used to be a firm believer in the improved clinch, but after moving to braid, this knot slipped and lost a lure the first day using this line.  Been using the palomar with no problems on everything for about a year now.

There are lots of choices and most will work just fine.

Specifically, I use the Palomar Knot most of the time,

but for big treble hook lures, Sixteen-Twenty:

http://206.210.94.83/collaterals/pdf/fhf_knot_sixteen_twenty.pdf

8-)

Google "knot wars" and take the first link.

My own personal preferences:

I don't like the Palomar with braid, and prefer a Uni Knot.

Palomar is a good knot with fluoro, nylon, and copoly, though any knot with fluoro must be tied carefully.

When using a leader, I use an Allbright special to connect the two lines.

I've used an improved clinch with copoly and spinnerbaits for years, and have no issue.  Its easy to tie with such a bulky bait.

So with those exceptions, I generally use a Palomar.

Always lubricate the knot with saliva when dressing up and tightening the connection.

I broke off 3 times one day in a tournament using a regular cinch knot. That's when I realized there's a BIG difference between knots.

Now I use a palomar knot 100% of the time.

If you break off, you'll know whether it was the knot or the line, if your line that is left has curlys in it, it broke in the knot, if the line is perfectly straight like you just spooled it up then the line broke.  8-)

The palomar RULES!!!  now if I can figure out which is best for using a fluro leader with braid I'll have it knocked. any suggestions???

if you havnt already you can check that link posted above.. i didnt watch all the bends but it might have one in there that fits your needs.

you know, ive always worked in a shop and always worked with my hands so i had good motor skills but the last year and a half ive been welding and ive noticed a significant drop in my ability to do things with my hands as good as i used to as i welding i just hold a stinger all day. with that being said i tried that palomar knot and got it first try with relitive ease so ya, thats deffinately saying something about how easy they are haha.. i was going to try that trilene knot too but figured that both knots held up good in their head to head battle but only the palomar is good for braid so just stick with that one.

Same here I love the palomar knot! Never had a problem with it.