Sign in to follow this  
iceintheveins

Frogs And Braid

Do you get a much better hookset with frogs on braid than on mono? I hooked basically every bass that hit my frog the other day but most of them came off. I was letting them have it about two seconds after they took it.

I used to use mono for all top water, and I think its the best line for anything that skims the pads. I don't have the patience for a top water bite anymore. Braid would be my last choice as a top water line.

Yes. you will get more solid hookups with superlines. With the large hooks on the frogs and the long casts that most tend to make, the low/zero stretch will get the hooks in past the barbs. Superlines are the best line for any top water.

Yes, mono is more forgiving than braid if you rush the hookset (it stretches) but overall, you are going to get much solider hooksets with braid than with mono. And once they're hooked, they usually stay pinned. Also like Wayne mentioned, the new frogs on the market are heavier so you can make really long casts. The no-stretch factor of the braid makes it alot easier to get a good hookset in bass that hit far away from the boat.

Go together like burgers and fries. Get a hit from a hawg at the end of a long cast and you'll be glad you have braid on. First, you'll have a much better chance at a solid hookset. Second, if you can get his head up you can hoist him in quicker and if he does bury himself in the junk, stay cool, keep tension on him and go in and get him. Had too many say bye bye to me like that with mono in the old days.

Nylon is great for bungee jumping

Roger

Braid has severe downsides as well. A lot of people tout its "cutting" ability. Given that it seems to find any nook and cranny that exsists between you and your frog, it needs great cutting power. Often times, it will cut into things on a retrieve that you didn't really want to cut into. There's rarely a cast that I've made into water lilies that braid did not cut into the "V" at the top of a heart-shaped lily leaf. Next thing you know, your retrieve has come to a stop while you pull your frog, and half the leaf, free.

Mono, and a good copoly won't do that. I use Yo-Zuri Hybrid 15lb test (breaks at 21.5lbs). This line slides through pads and vegetation without sawing into it. It has less stretch than mono - so you can get solid hooksets, but more than braid - so you can use it on stiff rod without having to back your drag down. I like it much better than braid.

For top water frogs use 65lb braid hands down! It's a no brainer IMO!

I will be using braid for frogs from now on. I hate braid on other topwater lures because it ruins the action IMO. But that was mostly with poppers. With the spro frog it's more just dragging it over the slop and weedstalks.

Yes, mono is more forgiving than braid if you rush the hookset (it stretches) but overall, you are going to get much solider hooksets with braid than with mono. And once they're hooked, they usually stay pinned. Also like Wayne mentioned, the new frogs on the market are heavier so you can make really long casts. The no-stretch factor of the braid makes it alot easier to get a good hookset in bass that hit far away from the boat.

I didn't have a problem waiting to set the hook so I doubt that will be a problem.

I will be using braid for frogs from now on.

You'll never go back

I hate braid on other topwater lures because it ruins the action IMO. But that was mostly with poppers. With the spro frog it's more just dragging it over the slop and weedstalks

Braided line floats, only a line that sinks could dampen the action of a topwater lure.

Roger