Sign in to follow this  
packman

What rod and reel for red fish

Not real sure where to post this scene it is not about bass.

What wold be a good baitcasting rod in reel that you have experince with for saltwater fishing for reds and trout.

I will be going to Port Aransas Texas for a week Monday.

My choice is a G. Loomis MBR844C/ Shimano CTE200GT.

8-)

The Abu Garcia Revo Inshore was designed for saltwater fishing. The Fenwick Techna AV series rods are a good choice as well. I recommend this because it is one of my brothers set-ups for Reds. The few times he drags me out for Reds and Snook i use my Powell Max flippin stick and Revo SX spooled with 65lb braid.

IMO any of the Abu Garcia or Shimano round reels would be great. They hold a lot of line, cast a mile and are very strong(you will need strength for Reds)!

You may want to check a saltwater board and get if form people that fish for them everyday. Redfish are not much different than snook, which I catch daily. I don't know what's popular in Texas for them but I do in Florida. IMO b/c or spinning,( most use spinning in this part of the world) a 17 or 20 lb class rod, 4000 spinner or b/c equivalent 15-20 braid, all you need.

Backbone is way more important that sensitivity, you get a strike believe me you will know. I see many tarpon and snook fisherman using ugly sticks very effectively.

Tackle is easy, you can get it all in your pocket, don't need much. Plastic flukes on jig heads, feathers, xraps, spoons, and a top lure. I have my favorites but they all work fine.

We use mostly real bait but also some lures like tiny torpedo works good for trout and those betel spin redfish magic lures.

I am thinking about putting this on an allstar flipping stick.

Texas Tackle Factory (TTF) Red Tamer, Laguna rods,Allstar,H&H,Wright & Mcgill (kevlar)                                           Reels I use C4 and C3 only. forgot to mention that the red tamer is in the Lone Star supreme series on the website

Posted by: packman      Posted on: Today at 10:40am

I am kinda on a budget would this reel work good?

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/fishing/r...

it will work perfect for you......

i have a much older model that i used to use all the time, and its held its own against most all inshore fish around.....

although it doesnt get much use anymore since ive switched to all spinning gear in the last 10 yrs or so..

and you wont go wrong with the allstar either.

Same as my worm set up

Shimano Crucial CRC-X610MH

Length: 6' 10

Line: 10-20 lb

Lure: 3/8-3/4

Power: Medium Heavy

Action: Extra Fast

Shimano Calcutta CT100A Gear Ratio: 5:8.1 Weight: 8.8 oz Bearings: 2+1

Berkley Big Game 15# Mean Green

¼ oz lead head Norton's Sand Eel Jr in Glow/chartreuse or an Original Corky®.