Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Backplay

Why is it a bad thing?

would you want backplay(reverse backplay) in your car or truck transmission when your driving down the road??its bad cause its not supposed to be there in geared equipment.gears are ment to have a tight tolerance and no backplay.just my .02

Why is it a bad thing?

would you want backplay(reverse backplay) in your car or truck transmission when your driving down the road??its bad cause its not supposed to be there in geared equipment.gears are ment to have a tight tolerance and no backplay.just my .02

Every vehicle I've ever serviced had 'backplay' in the drivetrain.

Before ARB's, all reels had backplay.  Lot's of it as compared to todays reels.

Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?

Ask those who seem to think that the minute amount of 'backplay' in Shimano reels make them inferior.

I know what you're talkin about with the backplay with the shimano bc reels.  The "backplay" on the citica and curado is so minimal it is barely there, really, and by no means makes them inferior.  Both are excellent reels.  That being said, I personally prefer a reel with no backplay at all.  It feels more "solid" to me, I guess you could say, on the retrieve and when fighting a fish.  Just a matter personal preference, really...

You should post this on the: Shimano Product Support Forum

where you She Man O lovers can get all the reassurance that you need ;D

Why do you ask?

Ask those who seem to think that the minute amount of 'backplay' in Shimano reels make them inferior.

Shimano Possee members are getting defensive and the head Flooger Mook resigned? What's the world coming to?? ;D ;D ;D

Who cares what anyone else thinks??  If it doesn't bother you and causes no problems (and it doesn't seem to) who cares?  If they want to cry about it, let 'em.

When I started baitcasting 10-15 years ago I used to buy sportmart specials.  Abu Garcia Black Maxs and Shimano Lexicas.  Both of those reels had an enormous amount of back play in the handles to the point of where you'd actually start to backlash if you reeled it back.  

2007 was the first year I bought a baitcaster in 10 years and I wanted a Curado and the 200d had a little backplay in the handle so in my mind it felt cheaper than the Revo which had absolutely no back play.  The Curado 200e series has no back play.

A little bit of backplay, IMO, is a good thing.  IMO, a little back play provides a little more feel and compliments a sensitive rod.  My Daiwa Zillions have almost zero back play.  My Revos have the tiniest bit.  I swear, I can feel ticks and bumps on a rod better with a Revo than with a Zillion.  

im no expert but backplay when it comes to close tolerances can mean 15 yrs down the road more backplay .metal hittin metal long enough has to have some kind of efffect even if it is only 1 or 2 mm.Like rings on a piston if they anit tight you get more wear and of course oil blow by and many other things,lost compression my 2sense

Why do you ask?

Steady son, steady.

You haven't been drinking your daily koolaid have you?

You better stay off this board for awhile, you're extremely vulnerable until your She Man O hype levels have been restored to normal.

I'd suggest getting over to the Shimano Customer Self Esteem ..... er.. I meant the Customer Support board for a quick intravenous injection.     ;)

If I might interject here.......  8-)

The back play everyone is talking about doesn't mean a reel is inferior, just means that particular reel is using a one-way bearing with less/lighter tolerance's. Most of the older Shimano® & Daiwa® (since both MFG's were mentioned) reels were using 6 pin one-way bearing packs.

They were upgraded to 12 pin one-way bearing packs which were tighter tolerance's and had less back play.

If ya don't believe me then open an older green Curado next to a newer E series reel, you will see two different bearing packs, same way between the higher/lower end Daiwa® reels...

Just my observations over time...... ;)

Good Luck & Tight Lines All!!!! [smiley=fishing1.g