Sign in to follow this  
warwickforlife

My line keeps breaking

I have a Daiwa XiA 3000, and it's spooled with Stren Original mono 6lbs.

Should I be able to just break it with my hands?  I run my fingers over it, and it's pitted...I have no idea why.  I just spooled it on there like three months ago, so it's not like I've had the same line for five years.  Is that lite a line ULTRA  susceptible to wear?  

Thanks for the help guys.

How far into the spool is the pitting?  Is it pretty much on the whole line or is it just on the 10 or so feet of the end?

It shouldn't break so easily so it would seem you got a bad spool if it's only 3 mo's old.

Hmm..."Pitted"? What do you think?

Three months can be an eternity.

Try another brand, too. P-Line CXX

or Yo-Zuri Hybrid #6 is much stronger

line.

;)

Don't forget just because you bought line 3 months ago( lets say at Walmart) does not mean that the line is fresh. It could be a lot older than that. I am not sure how quick it goes from production to store shelves. But I pretty sure some stores that stockpile the stuff still sale old line.

Is it possible that you have a bur on one of the rod eyes causing this pitting? I'm thinking it's something mechanical causing the problem.

I don't use mono anymore but Stren is hardly junk, I've caught countless fish on it in years past. CXX or Sufix are both better in my opinion though.

Is it possible that you have a bur on one of the rod eyes causing this pitting? I'm thinking it's something mechanical causing the problem.

That's very likely, especially if the burrs are past the first few feet

of line. Use a Q-Tip to check the eyelets for cracks or breaks.

Do the same with the reel.

8-)

I purchase bulk spools of line ( 1,000+ yds ), some last me a good couple of years and sometimes more, so let 's assume that the line is fresh when I bought it, after a couple of years if stored not properly line like nylon should have degraded and break easily. But stored properly the line lsats a very long time and that includes the line in your reels.

So if you stored the line in a cool, dry and dark place the line should be fine.

If that 's the case then you have to look carefully at your line guides on the rod and the levelwind on your reel where your line can suffere from scratching ( abrassion ).

I had the reel on an older rod, but I don't use that rod anymore.  I suppose that is quite possible that the guides had some burrs in them.  I'll have to check and make sure.  

Don't forget just because you bought line 3 months ago( lets say at Walmart) does not mean that the line is fresh. It could be a lot older than that. I am not sure how quick it goes from production to store shelves. But I pretty sure some stores that stockpile the stuff still sale old line.

No kidding, I bought a spool from K-mart one time( not sure of the brand) but it had a marketing packet inside of it to sign up for something. The last date to mail your entry in was in 2003-04, I bought the line in 2007. :;)

Needless to say it never went on the reel.

Had a big snag, and lost a lot of line.  I took off the rest, and respooled....must have been a bad batch of line.  I could break it all along the spool, and new stuff is just fine.  Did'nt know that shelf life could effect line like that.  Thanks guys!!