Sign in to follow this  
mja900

ultra light rod and reel

what are yalls opinions about using the ultra light 5 foot rods for bass fishing? have they worked well for you or badly from experience.

what are yalls opinions about using the ultra light 5 foot rods for bass fishing? have they worked well for you or badly from experience.

I don 't use 5 ft UL rods for bass fishing, it 's too short for my taste because you don 't have a lot of leverage the rod being that short, I do use those short rods for panfishing and I 've caught a lot of bass while panfishing but as I said, if you catch a relatively good sized fish ( 2-3 pounds ) you run out of rod length pretty fast.

If you are going to go UL for bass you better have a longer rod ( 6 ', 6 '6" ).

Last summer I caught my PB LM, 6.5 lbs, on a 5' UL with 4 lb mono. I was using a 4" Kalins Western Weenie worm with a 1/16 oz bullet sinker. It was the middle of summer and the fish fought very lethargically. Otherwise, I don't think I would have had a chance of landing it.

Short ULs are fun, and having fun is why I go fishing.

But even give that, I don't use my ULs very much. Usually only when I'm bored and looking to change things up.

i almost always use my 5' ul rod. ive cought 2-3+lb peacock bass with it ,a 4-5lb carp and tons of crappie/brim. and i can say that its VERY fun. but like raul said , its not enough rod for larger fish.

the main reason i do use it though , is because of the weight. its very comfortable to fish with all day and being a 2 piece can make it fit in anyones car.

Well, a lot of guys, including Chris Fish, will have a story about

landing monsters on ultra light tackle. However, for most guys

and "everyday fishing", UL is definitely the wrong gear for

bass fishermen. I consider Medium Power/ Fast Action most

appropriate for "all-around" rods.

8-)

I prefer a 6'6 med rod for bass, I don't care for a short butt on any rod. I never have never tried a 7' ul or med light but that might be fun. I don't see it for steady diet.

I just think it would be rediculous to get a nice hookset with something so light. Heck I picked up a berkley cherrywood M 6'6" and thought it was too light and hooksets were not as fast. Swapped over to 6' lightning rod MH and loving life.

I just think it would be rediculous to get a nice hookset with something so light. Heck I picked up a berkley cherrywood M 6'6" and thought it was too light and hooksets were not as fast. Swapped over to 6' lightning rod MH and loving life.

With razor sharp hooks and the bait rigged properly you do get very nice hooksets with a UL rod, besides, with a UL rod you don 't set the hook, you let the fish imaple itself on the hook.

Why would you even want to ?

oh ya,,,

and the other part of your question...

yes, it works just fine on bass.....

though i use it mainly for panfish,

i have caught some substantial bass on it as well.

Its a confidence thing. I don't have a lot of confidence fishing UL in heavy weeds.

Its a confidence thing. I don't have a lot of confidence fishing UL in heavy weeds.

BB, follow your gut on that. A little common sense goes a long way. "Heavy weeds" just added a very different element to the equation.  I frequently fish a small lake, mostly from the bank and don't fish the UL because of the heavy shoreline Veggies. BUT if I'm boating it, that's an entirely different ballgame.

Good post,

Exactly, it 's about context, I would not go bass fishing with a UL rod in this:

post-369-130162926989_thumb.jpg