Sign in to follow this  
Blues19

braided line

looking to buy some braided line, but was originally looking at getting it just for my frog rod.  Do i need it for my rod that will be flipping plastics into lily pads too? also, what does everyone recomend? I was looking at power pro and Sufix as of now.

There is several of these thread through out the board, just do a search and you will be overwhelmed with the information that is out there.

But while we are here, this is my favorite braids in order:

Daiwa Samurai Braid, outstanding line but a little costly

Fireline Braid, a very good line but it turns your thumb green

Power Pro Braid, great product and not to expensive

Suffix Braid. great product and not to expensive

Yes any time you are throwing into heavy cover like lily pads etc... you need to use braid. Some don't think so but I do.

Later, :)

I have been using fireline braid for a week now for all my soft plastics fishing and, although I cannot compare to others bc this is the first time I have tried braid, I can say that it has been a positive experience. I would say it will be an excellent choice for flipping plastics into pads. I find it to be pretty abrasion resistant. Also, if you have never used braid before, you will be amazed at the sensitivity, I know I was.

I would want it on anything I was throwing into pads.  That being said, it is a personal preference, Dan made some good points yesterday about mono being sufficient.

I have used Fireline Braid and recently tried out the Power Pro, so far I am prefering the Power Pro.  But its really like comparings apples to apples.  Never thrown the suffix braid.

As i said in th other thread, for pads you really want at least 50lb braid. I use FireLine Braid and it is by far the smoothest and strongest braid as of yet! You will regret not using it when a hawg hits your t-rig and immediately wraps you in the pad stalks and than, well.................................you know the rest!!!!!

im gonna go braid on 2 of my 5 rods.  one for frogs one for plastics. Still not sure which brand though  

I was using powerpro 50# for a long time this year and after a while of use the line seemed to dig in a lot making casts stop 3/4 way and so on. I then tried 50# Stren Sonic Braid and I can tell you honestly I can cast a lot further on that then the pp and its smoother overall nicer.

I am however using 20# PP on my spinning outfit currently but only because they didn't have the stren in stock that day.

Braid is the only way to go in the pads.

It cuts through the stems like a scythe.

I use 30-lb braid for everything, bar none.

I found Sufix too wiry, used PowerPro for a couple years, but strongly recommend Berkley Fireline Tracer Braid.

Roger

I was using powerpro 50# for a long time this year and after a while of use the line seemed to dig in a lot making casts stop 3/4 way and so on. I then tried 50# Stren Sonic Braid and I can tell you honestly I can cast a lot further on that then the pp and its smoother overall nicer.

I am however using 20# PP on my spinning outfit currently but only because they didn't have the stren in stock that day.

I was having the same problem with Suffix.  Switched to Fireline Braid and haven't had a problem since.

For techniques that require casting I highly recommend Fireline Braid.  I switched to it from Power Pro and haven't looked back.  The Power Pro dug in way too much leading to backlashes.  For flipping plastics, you would be fine with Power Pro.