Sign in to follow this  
Kingbass43

Shakespear Spreva reel

Well i have this reel and rod i liked it but ive been really mad at it lately it been getting tangled around the spool and the handles comin loose i know the handles fixable but im not sure whats wrong with the reel could it be somethin im doin thanks! http://www.bassresource.com/fishing-forum/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

I don't want to hurt your feelings, however Shakespeare reels are widely known to be of not very good quality. I have a Shakespeare Excursion spinning reel here at home that proved that to me also. One day I went into Walmart and noticed they had these on clearance for $15. Original price had only been $20 but I figured why not, they looked decent so I got 2 of them. Within a week one of them begin making a popping noise as I cranked it so I returned it and just kept the one I had left. I fished it for a year and it was alright, but it begin making that same popping noise as the first one had done soon after. However my 90 day return period had already went out so I just kept it. Then the T handle started coming loose from the shaft. Then the reel REALLY started making more noises than just the popping, and finally the gears began grinding so bad it wasn't even pleasurable to use anymore.

I liked the overall design of the reel, I just hated it's quality. Still I kept looking at them and eventually went through 3 more Shakespeares, 2 Tempest reels and one Intrepid. They all without exception had problems right out of the packages so I just returned them all and swore off Shakespeare. I still liked the design though so I noticed that Pflueger reels use the same basic design but costed a little more. I got two of those and they are of much higher quality build. After 1 1/2 years of owning them, they are solid and not coming apart to this minute.  The Trion is exceptionally slick feeling.  I also got one of the Presidents, a grade up over the Trion.  Only problem I've had from the President reel was that for some reason I can't seem to find one that doesn't have a slight grind to the gears, though many people have them and love then and I see them recommended on here constantly. I've had 2 of them and they both did this. However the cheaper Trion ($40 vs. $60 for Prez) has never had these problems. I've had it now for 1 1/2 years and it's slick as glass. Best $40 I ever spent on a spinning reel.

Aside from the slight grind in the Prez gears it was still a very solid reel, and the Trion is too. I figured the Prez might have had a bad batch or something, I just know I'll pay closer attention if I get anymore of them.  Maybe I'm being too picky cause my brother in law sampled it and said it was smooth feeling to him, but to me it could be a good bit better.

Still though, both reels are worlds better quality than the Shakespeares I had prior to this.

I would have to agree that Shakespeare doesn't always make the most durable reels, so you might just be better off getting a new reel rather than try to fix one that has just been used too much for its quality level.  I've tried looking up this combo, and I have never seen or used it but for 80 dollars (I'm not sure how much you actually paid for it), which is what it looks like it mainly sells for, you could get a much higher quality rod and reel, like a Pflueger President reel.

Geez...What do you expect for $15?

This pricing point, for all manufacturers, is targeted

for kids or the guy that goes fishing once or twice a

year. "Disposable Equipment" might be the category.

:B)

In the past I would have just said Shakesphere = junk. I did see one that seemed to be almost a clone of the pflueger Medialist ( one step up from the Pres ). I did not use the reel just looked at it in the store.

Based on Rooster's post I'd have to lean toward staying away from Shakesphere.