Sign in to follow this  
confusedSea

"Professional Overruns" with heavy mono?

Guys... i have two of the new black max compact baitcasters. One of them is spooled up with 30lb PPro line, while the other has 17lb test Trilene XT. I've done pretty well managing the backlashes with the braided line, spooled up pretty full on the spool. However, I have had a devil of a time with the mono :-[ even with going through adjustments on the spool tension, the mag braking, and being sure to thumb the spool prior to splashdown. When it goes wrong, I get a huge "expansion" on the spool while the bait barely on its way.

I am looking for some expert advice. Do I have too stiff a mono on this reel (is there a more limp line to use instead)? Do I have it spooled to full (pretty much up to the edge of the spool flange)? What else might be going on here. Primarily, I planned to use this as a flipping/pitching reel (I've had decent luck practicing this after turning "off" the mag brakes and loosening the spool tension), but it would be nice to be able to really cast a Trig worm with it without spending 10 minutes to repack the reel!

Thanks

jtz

Several factors come to mind but lets reevaluate the problem.

17 pound mono is too heavy for that reel, it's rated for 12 mono.

Respool it with 10, 12 or 14(max) but I would use 10 Yozuri. 10 yozuri will have a thin diameter but higher breaking strength.

Fill spool to about 1/16-1/8 inch from edge of spool. Make sure you spool the line on TIGHT.

What kind of rod are you using? Length/ power and such?

Tie on your worm and a 1/8th ounce worm weight. Loosen the spool so the worm free falls on it's own but doesn't backlash when it hits the ground. (Don't use your thumb to stop it when it hits the ground.)

Once you've established the spool setting then you can tighten the spool knob about 1/16 inch until you get used to casting. When you feel comfortable, go ahead and loosen the spool to the setting you had when the worm falls on its own and doesn't backlash when hitting the ground.

I adjust my brakes by pulling every other one out. (one in, one out, etc)    If you still get backlashes then try adding more brake.  Refer to the owners manual for proper settings and troubleshooting.

If you insist using heavy line for flipping then stick with braid.

[movedhere] Fishing Tackle [move by] five.bass.limit.

The reels are not "rated" for any size line. It only shows the capacity in yards of how much regular 12# line it will hold. In higher pound test lines, it will hold less, in lower pound test lines, it will hold more.

Then lets put 30 mono on it and go snapper fishing.  Or better yet, see how well it will cast #4 or #6 mono.

Did you spool the mono to were the line went on the reel like it came of the spool? Also 30 pound braid is alot thinner than 17lb mono so if you are casting lighter baits the 30lb braid is going to cast it better.

17# XT should not be a problem. Think about the rod and the lures you are trying to cast. Years ago I moved from an area with lots of cover n the lakes, wood, weeds and lilly pads  to a placew where most of the cover are rocks. I switched to XL and find I like it a bit better.

A bit of KVD conditioner migfht help.

I'm with Wayne on the rating. When mono was the only resonaible choice I fished 30# for musky and pike with no problem but you are generally throwing heavier baits.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

So lets try to answer some of the questions that were raised.

Did you spool the mono to were the line went on the reel like it came of the spool?

Not quite sure what that means... if you're asking is the line level on the spool higher than the levelwind eye, the answer is probably yes (I'll double check). Otherwise, I can't envision what it was you asked.

What kind of rod are you using? Length/ power and such?

The reel has primarily been tried on a Fast Heavy 7.5' rod (Cabelas ProGuide) with a 5" YumDinger and 1/2 oz bullet staked to the front of it. It has also been tried (much less time) with a Fast 7' MH rod (again Cab's ProGuide) with a one oz sliding weight C-rig.

I was also hoping to run that reel on a 6' MH rod with a walk-the-dog presentation since I had read somewhere that the heavy mono tended to "push" the bait side-to-side after each twitch.

Regarding the process for setting the spool tension and mag brakes... did that just as Bassn Blvd described.

Don't know if any of that helps or just confuses the issue more. Again, I appreciate the collective wisdom (and occasional controversy)!

Regards

jtz

Wiry lines do have a lot more tendency to fluff up and finally backlash than silkier lines, in this case 17 lb test XT is pretty wiry, so tighter brakes setting, more tension and thumbing help a lot reducing the tendency of the line to fluff up ( and backlash ).

I 've been a XL, XT and Big Game user for years and I don 't recommend heavy XT unless you really need it, Big Game is a much better option beacuse it 's not as wiry as XT. However XT in the lower ranges ( 6-8 lbs ) is a great line for fishing, doesn 't coil much and it 's very abrassion resistant.

You should be able to cast that combo very well. So I would look to the adjustments in the reel. Go to Reel Mechanic's site for a good way to set up your reel.

If I am having a bit of trouble with over runs I'll set the cast control knob a bit tighter than the normal. I have one out fit (can't remember the details of which rod and reel) but I often tighten the cast control knob so the bait/sinker comb won't fall at all when the spool is released.

Re line going on the reel like it came off the spool. I think this means if it came off the top of the spool did it go on the top of the reel. With a bait caster I can't think this means a twit but then that is the way I always fill  my baitcasters.

I should have read Raul's post before my reply. He could well be right on. Currently the reel I have with 17# line is spooled up with Sensation so I don't have a good comparison with XT.

The combo you are using should cast flawlessly. The only thing I can think of is the spool tension knob or brakes.

The line coming off the line spool upside shouldn't cause backlashes.

What they are referring to is when you hold the spool of line, make sure the line comes off the spool from the top as apposed from the bottom when putting it on your reel.

Does the backlash occur at the beginning or end of the cast?

What they are referring to is when you hold the spool of line, make sure the line comes off the spool from the top as apposed from the bottom when putting it on your reel.

Well, with very patient help (and a few pictures) I think I can say that I've proved Murphy right again. I'm relatively certain that I spooled the line against the bend it had while on the storage spool. So I'll be trying a few things...

1.) removing at least some of the line so it's not full right up to the edge of the spool - a rookie mistake and I'm guilty as charged.

2.) trying the "let the line out behind the boat" trick and seeing if re-filling the reel without forcing the curve the "wrong way" doesn't reduce the tendency for the top three layers of line on the spool to just "fluff" as was described by Raul

3.) If that doesn't fix it... then I'll have to try respooling the correct way from scratch.

After making these changes, I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks again for all the patient advice.

jtz

Trilene XT, over 12 lb test starts to get a bit stiff.  I imagine 17lb would be tough too cast on a regular baitcaster.

I wish I could help you, but I never have any professional overruns,

mine are all "dufus" overruns

Roger

Primarily, I planned to use this as a flipping/pitching reel (I've had decent luck practicing this after turning "off" the mag brakes and loosening the spool tension),
Question if a flipping reel why not just tighten the CC and you don't have to worry about,
Professional Overruns
if using the reel for pitching I would tighten down as before and not worry about overruns.

But just like any of the other anglers here, I get goodies myself when I get in a hurry and don't pay attention to what I am doing..

Think maybe you might have the reel over filled with the size mono (17lb test Trilene XT) your using, if so back it off to within 1/8 of the spool lip.

Just a thought..

Tight lines!!