Sign in to follow this  
zelmo

Finesse - Spinning or Casting?

Although I like casting setups, I have always considered spinning gear more appropriate for finesse and other light applications.  Yet I see many posts relating to using casting gear for these, and the rod manufacturers certainly have enough offerings to indicate a good demand.  Am I missing something?  I know I am more accurate with casting rigs; is that the point?

You would have to start by having to define "finesse", for many finesse means light lures, light line; for others finesse means not exactly fishing with teeny tiny baits and hair thin line but a slow methodical approach with regular baits and line ( ex: deadsticking a 7" inch senko with 12+ lbs test ).

To me the first is UL/L fishing and the second would be finesse.

Best way to find out, get a casting rig and give it a go.  I stick with spinning for most all my light tackle presentations and always will.  When you have to question yourself, it's time to experiment and see if it works better for you, if not, hey....you gave it a fair shot.  If it does, then you just improved your game.

The only time I use a spinning rod is for weightless Fin-s-fish and split shot rigs.  I just prefer using casting gear.  You just need the right setup for casting 1/8 oz and less on baitcasting gear.

To each his own.

If you are right-handed, and I am left-handed,

would you let me talk you into being left handed?

Roger

Without trying to define what constitues finesse fishing, I'll say that it comes down to the line and bait you're using.

As you progress down the scale towards lighter lures and lighter lines, you will come to a point where spinning gear becomes the choice.

That point will be at a different place for each of us.

For me, #6 line and < 1/8oz baits have crossed over into spinning territory.

Accuracy has nothing to do with what type of gear you're using. It has everything to do with practice.

That about covers it for me too.  :)

Without trying to define what constitues finesse fishing, I'll say that it comes down to the line and bait you're using.

As you progress down the scale towards lighter lures and lighter lines, you will come to a point where spinning gear becomes the choice.

That point will be at a different place for each of us.

For me, #6 line and < 1/8oz baits have crossed over into spinning territory.

Accuracy has nothing to do with what type of gear you're using. It has everything to do with practice.

As my baitcasting skills improve, I find that I can cast very light weight baits like  wieghtless sinko's just fine. I really never thought I would be able to do that.  

It may be coincidence but that new level of skill seemed to coincide with upgrading my reel to the Chronarch.  All of my casting got easier after that.

That's one reason I usually recommend folks just starting with level winders to buy a good one.

I find that I can cast very light weight baits like wieghtless sinko's just fine.

Senkos aren't exactly lightweight, they weigh about 3/8 oz.

I find that I can cast very light weight baits like wieghtless sinko's just fine.

That's what I was going to say.  I use spinning gear for weightless plastics, jerkbaits, shakey head, and dropshot.

That's what I was going to say. I use spinning gear for weightless plastics, jerkbaits, shakey head, and dropshot.

Hmm, then that's probably why I can cast them :)  I'll have to try some really light baits and see what happens.  I'll give a wieghtless little worm a go this evening and see.  Plus the wind is blowing directly into me from where I'll be casting, the reel test. haha.

My noobness still shows for sure but I've come a long way for six months.

As my baitcasting skills improve, I find that I can cast very light weight baits like wieghtless sinko's just fine. I really never thought I would be able to do that.

3/8oz = 164 grains

5" Senko = 163 grains (without a hook)

First question to myself would be, can I cast it farther with spinning gear?

Second question to myself would be, then why am I using baitcasting tackle? :)

Roger

I really like fishing with a spinning rig, I have many baitcasters and only one good spinning outfit but that one spinning outfit is my workhorse and goes with me on every outing. I can fish as small a 1/16 oz baits on my Sol/Carrot Stix Gold without much of a problem, and do sometimes, but I prefer spinning.  I've actually fished yo-zuri snap beans with my sol, if you have ever used them, they are SMALL, not sure how much they weigh.  

zelmo, I think you can see that the choice is yours.

RoLo and I seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum. If memory serves, he uses spinning gear almost exclusively. I use casting gear almost exclusively. I'd be willing to bet that I use a spinning rod a bit more often than Roger uses a baitcaster.

Which of us is wrong? Neither of us. We're both right. We do what suits us.

Up to a point, (or should I say down to a point) Casting distance has very little to do with it. I toss a 5" Senko, unweighted with a baitcaster, using #10 line and a medium-fast rod. I can throw it a lot farther than I can get a hookset.

If I put a 1/16oz jighead and 2" grub on the same rod, I can barely cast it out of the boat. But, I could easily bend or break the hook. That doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

At the other end of ridiculous; I could tie a Suick onto the end of my #10 line, spooled on a Revo StX, mounted on a St Croix LT 6'9" MLXF rod and go muskie fishing. That would be stupid, even for me.

It's all about balance. Every rod has a line and lure weight rating, and will have a "sweet" spot, where everything just feels right. That's what to strive for. Doesn't matter a bit if it's casting or spinning. If it feel right, then it is right.

I have a good friend who will not use a baitcaster. He pitches with an 8' saltwater spinning rod, a 40 size reel, and #65 braid. He can put a 1/2oz jig in a teacup from 40-50 feet away, every time.

Balance, my friend, balance.

Ghoti nailed it. To each his own.

I've used baitcasting gear extensively (both fresh & saltwater), but have evolved to where it's almost all spinning gear now.

For instance, both stripers in my avatar weighed more than the world-record largemouth, but both were taken on spinning tackle.

Roger

I enjoy both casting and spinning gear.  I love throwing small, light crank baits on casting gear.  Fortunately, there are options available that make this not only possible, but efficient as well.  If spring winds are particularly bad, for example, spinning gear is just more efficient in that circumstance.  I like to have both options available depending on the specific situation...