Sign in to follow this  
steezy

Broke my G.Loomis GLX

Broke the tip off yesterday hooking one and he went into a cover of cattails.  Made the mistake of try to pull it loose, grabbed the rod near the tip (that was stupid) and it snapped.

Is there anything about the Loomis Xpeditor service that I should pay attention to so I avoid any hassles when getting the rod replaced?

It is very simple to use, just make sure you have your rod model number ready for them. The next question is how fast do you want your rod 1 week or a couple of days. Which equates to either 50.or 60.bucks, its just that simple..............

always always always reel down, point your rod at the snag, hold your spool so it doesn't turn, and walk backwards.

Dan, thanks for posting this tip , you've probably saved me a rod .

Just follow the on-line instructions.  I've used it twice and it is VERY easy.  Easier than fishing.

always always always reel down, point your rod at the snag, hold your spool so it doesn't turn, and walk backwards.

Ive told people the same thing a hundred times.  I guess a had a brain fart when I grabbed the end of the rod.  

Guess I panicked thinking about loosing the fish.

I "almost" feel guilty getting it replaced so cheap.

(but thats part of what I paid for buying a loomis rod)

Super service.

Go on-line and fill out the form.

Get the special double secret number from the Loomis people.

Put a $20 bill with your form.

Mail in a large tube.

The biggest problem is finding the tube.

The Loomis people will send you a brand new replacement rod with the price tag on it.

Great people at G. Loomis.  I hope the Lowarance people would see the Loomis business model because Lowrance's customer service sucks.  :)

Nothing to it, no issues at all.

8-)

Just follow the on-line instructions. I've used it twice and it is VERY easy. Easier than fishing.

Yeah this is the best way to do it. Recently broke a St. Croix and got everything fixed. Just look at the website or call sure they will be very nice

About 25 years ago I broke 4 tips within a short period of time, then I changed my procedure and have not snapped a tip since.

I open the bail on spinning or put my reel in free spool with a b/c taking all the tension off the tip, then I work it loose by jiggling the line.  My  recover rate is pretty good as far as getting my lure back and have saved  fish that way too.

Most of the time I just see line snapping with this method.

About 25 years ago I broke 4 tips within a short period of time, then I changed my procedure and have not snapped a tip since.

I open the bail on spinning or put my reel in free spool with a b/c taking all the tension off the tip, then I work it loose by jiggling the line. My recover rate is pretty good as far as getting my lure back and have saved fish that way too.

It depends on what line you are using. With braid, it usually results in getting your bait back, but the idea is for the line to snap instead of your rod. In some situations you are going to lose your bait, you can't really do anything about it. Your method might work for easy snags but if you get stuck into wood, under a rock, or pierced into lily clumps then that isn't going to work.

I open the bail on spinning or put my reel in free spool with a b/c taking all the tension off the tip, then I work it loose by jiggling the line. My recover rate is pretty good as far as getting my lure back and have saved fish that way too.

It depends on what line you are using. With braid, it usually results in getting your bait back, but the idea is for the line to snap instead of your rod. In some situations you are going to lose your bait, you can't really do anything about it. Your method might work for easy snags but if you get stuck into wood, under a rock, or pierced into lily clumps then that isn't going to work.

just be very careful if your bait is not in the water... ie trees or such.  i was fishing a night tourny got in a bush and did this and wack  crankbait in the forearm . the bait hitting me hurt twice as bad as the hooks did... lol

just be very careful if your bait is not in the water... ie trees or such. i was fishing a night tourny got in a bush and did this and wack crankbait in the forearm . the bait hitting me hurt twice as bad as the hooks did... lol

true. I was about 4inches from catching a 3/8oz jig with my nut sack one time. Just hold the rod to the side or even stand sideways and sidestep, just as long as you keep the rod straight by pointing it at the snag.

It's surprisingly easy. I did it a few weeks ago. My rod was discontinued so they gave my a similar replacement that retails for $50 more and I like even better. I had a telescopic 7' 6" GL3 MH flipping stick that I used for pitching and jig fishing and they replaced it with a 1 piece Mossyback 7' 5" Medium action stick. It has great backbone like a MH but a nice soft tip. Much better for pitching light lures.

I was so impressed that I bought a new GLX rod yesterday.

The object is to not break the tip and hopefully get your lure back.  This method positively works and does so with any kind line, braid is better because of the non stretch factor, but you will have success with mono.  It makes no difference what you are hung on, you have a real good chance of success, if one doesn't it's only because they haven't practiced it.  Charter boats captains always pull the line not the rod, works the same from shore.

You're slackin'....I average 5 broken rods a year, but have never broken one during use.  I step on them, shut them in car doors, tangle them in the trolling motor, etc.  I must hold some sort of record.

I average 5 broken rods a year

The Loomis warranty is your best friend.

BTW, I called loomis and the replacement GLX will be here in 2 days.  Now thats service!

The object is to not break the tip and hopefully get your lure back. This method positively works and does so with any kind line, braid is better because of the non stretch factor, but you will have success with mono. It makes no difference what you are hung on, you have a real good chance of success, if one doesn't it's only because they haven't practiced it. Charter boats captains always pull the line not the rod, works the same from shore.

I'm talking about in situations when the lure is stuck without a chance of getting it back ie: a heavy jig hook stuck into a piece of wood. Your jiggling thing is fine and all, but like the line plucking technique, it doesn't work all the time so sometimes the bait has to be sacrificed in order to save the rod and as much line as possible.