Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

Rod Comparisons

As many of you know, I'll be in the market for a new set of rods in the upcoming year. I wanted to do a little "survey" to see which you would choose for a given situation.

1. (Baitcaster) What rod would you pick for pitching jigs in and around cover, like docks, timber and laydowns.

A. Shimano Compre 7' MHF

B. Abu Vendetta 7' MHF

C. Abu Vendetta 7'3" HXF

D. Powell 705c Mag Heavy

2. (Spinning) Which rod would you choose for fishing 5-6" Senkos, small Texas Rigs, Flukes and finesse jigs? It will mainly be used for Senkos though.

A. Shimano Compre 6'8" MXF

B. St. Croix Mojo 6'8" MXF

C. Abu Vendetta 7' MF

D. Abu Vendetta 6'6" MHF

Thanks!

As many of you know, I'll be in the market for a new set of rods in the upcoming year. I wanted to do a little "survey" to see which you would choose for a given situation.

1. (Baitcaster) What rod would you pick for pitching jigs in and around cover, like docks, timber and laydowns.

A. Shimano Compre 7' MHF

B. Abu Vendetta 7' MHF

C. Abu Vendetta 7'3" HXF

D. Powell 705c Mag Heavy

2. (Spinning) Which rod would you choose for fishing 5-6" Senkos, small Texas Rigs, Flukes and finesse jigs? It will mainly be used for Senkos though.

A. Shimano Compre 6'8" MXF

B. St. Croix Mojo 6'8" MXF

C. Abu Vendetta 7' MF

D. Abu Vendetta 6'6" MHF

Thanks!

For the baitcaster I'd go with the Abu Vendetta 7'3" HXF.  For the spinning I'd go with the Shimano Compre 6'8" MXF.

Thanks, I heard the Compre's are whippy, which I hate >:)

Might have to go with the Mojo. Any other thoughts? I definitely want to feel them all before I buy one.

Might have to go with the Mojo. Any other thoughts? I definitely want to feel them all before I buy one.

Why would you list it then, I believe you have been misinformed. I had Compre in both BC and spinning and I would not consider them whippy at all.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1258865175

Given your choices, Compre in both areas. Of your choices, I have and only used the compre.

As for the whippy thing, it does not mean that all of the models in the Compre line are whippy. I can assure you of that. My compre spinning rod is no where near being whippy at all.

That is what I have and use and it can handle t-rigs and smaller jigs quite excellently. It has enough power to handle these guys with with ease. My dad caught them. His first time fishing for salmon and he lands two different species. 8-)

IMG_0229Large.jpg

IMG_0241Large.jpg

1/4 oz jigs and 10# line in the Compre 6'6" CPS66MH2B

Why would you list it then, I believe you have been misinformed. I had Compre in both BC and spinning and I would not consider them whippy at all.

Leo, I heard someone say HIS Compre was whippy. And I posted that before I heard that. Is the spinning 6'8" MXF a little stiff? That's what I want.

The Mojo on your list is "extra-fast", so it will also feel whippy.

Rod selection is a very personal thing, but if it were me I'd be looking for a fast-tip on a med hvy blank.

Roger

Rod selection is a very personal thing, but if it were me I'd be looking for a fast-tip on a med hvy blank.

Roger

Apparently we all have different terminology. An extra fast rod is the opposite of whippy. IMO.

Roger

Have you ever fished an Extra Fast St. Croix? They are anything other than "whippy", that is if your defination of "whippy" and mine are the same. When I think of a whippy rod, I think of something like an Ugly Stick that has no backbone and is extreamly moderate in action, so much so that it shakes like a noodle. An ex. fast St. Croix is quite the oposite, it's pretty stiff, and has just the slighest amount of tip action.

Roger

Have you ever fished an Extra Fast St. Croix? They are anything other than "whippy", that is if your defination of "whippy" and mine are the same. When I think of a whippy rod, I think of something like an Ugly Stick that has no backbone and is extreamly moderate in action, so much so that it shakes like a noodle. An ex. fast St. Croix is quite the oposite, it's pretty stiff, and has just the slighest amount of tip action.

THANK YOU! That's what I wanted to know. I can stand slow action rods, the amount of time it takes them to load up drives me insane. Thanks for all the comments guys! RoLo, do you think I should get a MH? I still have no idea. I'm probably going to go with the Compre 6'8"MXF.

Thanks again guys. Now what about the baitcaster? (considering I want a STIFF rod, not a lot of tip, but still sensitive)

I don't use spinning gear, but for baitcasting that 7'3" vendetta h/xf is going to be the one I use for the same application as you. I'm getting it in Jan.

Leo, I heard someone say HIS Compre was whippy. And I posted that before I heard that. Is the spinning 6'8" MXF a little stiff? That's what I want.

I have a 7 foot MXF Spinning and a 6 ft 8 inch MHXF Casting. Bith are suitable for Jigs and Plastices so I would not say they are too whippy.

I have a 7 foot MXF Spinning and a 6 ft 8 inch MHXF Casting. Bith are suitable for Jigs and Plastices so I would not say they are too whippy.

Cool deal. Thanks. I'll probably end up getting the 6'8"MXF.

I would take the Powell for pitching jigs. In my opinion, the Compre isn't even in the same class as the Powell. You'll have to move up to a Crucial to compete with the Powell.

For the choices you provide for the spinning rod, I would choose the Compre.