Sign in to follow this  
skunked_again

my DT Sol is killing me.

ive been playing musical bearings with this thing for a week or so and tonight i notice theres some back play in the handle. i took the thing apart again and id swear everything is where it should be.

any ideas on why the anti reverse is not anti reversing?

When you say not anti-reversing, is the crank turning a complete revolution in reverse?

If so then your One-Way bearing has let go, or you have lubricated the One-Way and you shouldn't have....

If the crank has just got a couple of millimeter reverse play in it, that is the tolerance that the one-way bearing is built with, no biggie....

Tight Lines!!!

ive been playing musical bearings with this thing for a week or so and tonight i notice theres some back play in the handle. i took the thing apart again and id swear everything is where it should be.

Yup, put that SOL in a box and send it to jfrancho, he runs Reel Smooth Reels, this guys like a Houdini when comes to tuning ;)   

When you say not anti-reversing, is the crank turning a complete revolution in reverse?

If so then your One-Way bearing has let go, or you have lubricated the One-Way and you shouldn't have....

If the crank has just got a couple of millimeter reverse play in it, that is the tolerance that the one-way bearing is built with, no biggie....

Tight Lines!!!

the handle spins backwards 1/4 turn easy, sometimes 1/2 turn .the one way bearing? this is the baitcaster, i didnt know they have a one way bearing. it could be backwards, or even in the wrong spot...heh. which bearing is the one way bearig? i assume its part #85?

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_TD_SOL.pdf

If it's overlubed it can cause a fair amount of back play. I would try and clean it and then lightly lube it with a oiled q-tip. Less is best with anti reverse bearings.

If it's overlubed it can cause a fair amount of back play. I would try and clean it and then lightly lube it with a oiled q-tip. Less is best with anti reverse bearings.

tonight im going to re-clean everything. then assemble the thing dry and see if there is back play.

the handle spins backwards 1/4 turn easy, sometimes 1/2 turn .the one way bearing? this is the baitcaster, i didn't know they have a one way bearing. it could be backwards, or even in the wrong spot...heh. which bearing is the one way bearig? i assume its part #85?

Nope the one-way is part ref.#84 and, the sleeve is part ref.#83. The ref. part #85 is the crank support bearing pack.

You will need to brake the reel down if the one-way will come out then remove and soak in a good de-greaser super hot water and simple green (no alcohol or acetone or the likes)..

This bearing pack is mostly poly/graphite with pin bearings do not use anything that will eat up the pin bearing frame.

Clean it and dry it well then use an oil saturated q-tip and swab the inside only a couple of time that's it.....

re-assemble the reel and you should have a solid  AR...

Yup, put that SOL in a box and send it to jfrancho, he runs Reel Smooth Reels, this guys like a Houdini when comes to tuning ;)   

Thanks for your support... :-?

Good Luck & Tight Lines All!!! 

I see some guys using way too much grease on the crankshaft or on the drag washers themselves. Once you tighten down the drag, the extra simply oozes out, and sometimes fouls up the AR roller bearing. That bearing is a tight fit, so be careful removing it. A cleaning and very light lube per RM's instructions should make it new, assuming there is no damage.

the handle spins backwards 1/4 turn easy, sometimes 1/2 turn .the one way bearing? this is the baitcaster, i didn't know they have a one way bearing. it could be backwards, or even in the wrong spot...heh. which bearing is the one way bearig? i assume its part #85?

Nope the one-way is part ref.#84 and, the sleeve is part ref.#83. The ref. part #85 is the crank support bearing pack.

You will need to brake the reel down if the one-way will come out then remove and soak in a good de-greaser super hot water and simple green (no alcohol or acetone or the likes)..

This bearing pack is mostly poly/graphite with pin bearings do not use anything that will eat up the pin bearing frame.

Clean it and dry it well then use an oil saturated q-tip and swab the inside only a couple of time that's it.....

re-assemble the reel and you should have a solid AR...

Thanks for your support... :-?

Good Luck & Tight Lines All!!!

ok. theres the problem. i assembled the one-way like i would any needle bearing. i held the thing together with grease after the bath then re-installed.

oops

One note, after cleaning the ARB, DO NOT use compressed air to blow it out!

The needles will be lost forever...don't ask how I found that out  ;)

ok. theres the problem. i assembled the one-way like i would any needle bearing. i held the thing together with grease after the bath then re-installed.

oops

Yup there is the prob. Had done one-way bearings like that for years when they first came out (middle 90's).

Do not know what changed but all of a sudden the one-way packs didn't like the grease and when I switched over to a light oil swab things really got a lot better..

The needles will be lost forever...don't ask how I found that out

I blow my one-ways out with 60psi on my compressor, the only time I have ever had the pin bearings come out is if the pin bearing frame is damaged. You can see the pressure point that keeps the pin bearing in place, if it is damaged the pin will fall out no matter how you try to hold it during re-assembly...

BTW none of this should be done on the dinning room table, you need a well lit work area with room to do it right...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

oops

Yup there is the prob. Had done one-way bearings like that for years when they first came out (middle 90's).

Do not know what changed but all of a sudden the one-way packs didn't like the grease and when I switched over to a light oil swab things really got a lot better..

I blow my one-ways out with 60psi on my compressor, the only time I have ever had the pin bearings come out is if the pin bearing frame is damaged. You can see the pressure point that keeps the pin bearing in place, if it is damaged the pin will fall out no matter how you try to hold it during re-assembly...

BTW none of this should be done on the dinning room table, you need a well lit work area with room to do it right...

the plot thickens. the needles ALL fell out durring the soak. thats why i used grease to hold the bearing together. looks like a call to Daiwa is in order.

oops

the plot thickens. the needles ALL fell out durring the soak. thats why i used grease to hold the bearing together. looks like a call to Daiwa is in order.

I did that a few days ago by mistake, I dropped a few pins and knocked the rest out trying to put them back.  It's not impossible to fix, just very frustrating and tedious.  Good Luck

This thread just confirms for me why I need to have my reels done by skilled professionals. ;) I am confident I could do it, but I just don't want to.