Sign in to follow this  
ib_of_the_damned

How bad is it to use lures heavier than the ratings on the rod?

For example, Im interested in a couple lures that are 2/3oz-1 1/2oz. and my rod is rated 1/4oz.-5/8oz. How detrimental would it be to the integrity of the rod? Thanks in advance for your answers!

I would say a little over could be ok, but if you go too far it could hurt and possibly break your rod.

along with possibly breaking your rod, it will be very tough to move through the water.  Similar to getting snagged on a big stick, you can drag it back in, but it's a pain in the but.  Add any kinds of weeds or cover in there, and it will be brutal.  That being said, if you don't go too far over, it's usually not a problem.  But I wouldn't recommend it on a pole that you don't want to break.

I wouldn't do it, you'll be missing the end of your rod in no time.  As they say, "the right tool for the right job".

My biggest problem with using a lure to heavy, or with too much drag, for the rod rating is that it becomes a pain to fish. What happens is your rod becomes half to full bent when you are trying to drag in a big lure, if you get it caught up in some weeds its a bit of a nightmare trying to get it thru with no backbone. It all adds up to frustration and a lot of effort to work the bait. I don't have expensive rods, but they all do their job, including a 50 dollar flipping stick (there's always sales), pick up a cheap(er) rod with the proper rating if need be, it will make a world of difference with fish counts and your arms. Good luck bro!

If you go a little bit over the rating on the rod you should be OK, but if you put to much strain on the rod (especially when you put power behind a long cast) you have the possibility of snapping or damaging the rod. What I would recommend doing if you don't have a rod suited for the heavier baits then take the longest rod you have and instead of whipping the bait out when you cast try and just lobbing it. Usually with a heavier bait like that it is going to fly far enough out anyway with out a super powered cast.

You'll have a hard time getting a long cast..to heavy of a lure impedes the action of the rod, kinda like it wil over load the rod. I've tried to cast a lure that I knew was to heavy for my rod...it's not pretty.. ;D

I do it quite a bit (in saltwater)a little over is no problem, but there is a limit, for example I may use a rod rated for 5/8 spoon and I will throw a 1oz, that is the limit.  In big surf that heavier spoon will work better, but distance is lost and I get a sore back.  I have gone as heavy as 1.5 oz with no rod damage, but it's a gamble, make sure you use a rod with a lifetime warranty ;)

I wouldn't do it, you'll be missing the end of your rod in no time. As they say, "the right tool for the right job".

I won't work at all. The tip will snap in no time,

perhaps on the first cast. There is more "margin"

in heavier rods, but even then your cast must be

smooth.

I broke a rod throwing a heavy swimbait on medium heavy flipping stick. That was my way of learning things the hard way.

I agree for the most part on staying within the the specs of the rods. I stick to this with my soft plastic/jig rods which are combination of Loomis & Roque rods. The one exception I sometimes make is with my BPS crankin' sticks. I've been throwing baits like the SK King Shad on a 7' M crankin' stick even though it's rated for lures up to 5/8 oz. This particular bait doesn't have a lot of resistance as you wind it in compared to a deep diving crank like a DD22 and it seems to cast just fine with this rod. I also use their 7'6 MH for deep cranks with 12lb Floro & their 7' MH with 17 lb mono for heavier baits or baits with more resistance. Their MH rods are rated for lures up to 1-1/2 oz. which except for large swimbaits can handle almost anything I could ever want to throw. I have exceeded the weight limits somewhat on this series of rods with no problems, as long as there is not too muich resistance I tend to favor the M rod because it lets my baits swim with more wiggle.

Thanks for all the helpful and informative info guys! The lure im really interested in is 2/3oz. I did some math and found out that 2/3=.667 and 5/8=.625, I really dont think 0.042oz. will affect the rod too negatively, what do you guys think? Or just say screw it and look for a cheap rod that can handle heavier weights?

Thanks for all the helpful and informative info guys! The lure im really interested in is 2/3oz. I did some math and found out that 2/3=.667 and 5/8=.625, I really dont think 0.042oz. will affect the rod too negatively, what do you guys think? Or just say screw it and look for a cheap rod that can handle heavier weights?

You'll be ok as long as you don't go over the 2/3 oz.

depends on the rod.

most quality rods will handle a tad over the upper limits, especially with the softer lob casts...rod fatigue eventually comes into play if you consistently overpower it.

looking on the bright side, rearing back and humming a bait well over its rating will eventually get you a brand new rod.