Sign in to follow this  
Dan-K

Cumara MH/f or mbr843?

I'm in the market for a new worm/light jig rod. I had my eye on a Shimano Cumara MH/f, but I found a used mbr843 in gl3 for $115. I don't want to waste money on this purchase and I'm looking for a rod that I won't have to upgrade later down the road. I know they are both great rods and the Cumara is better than the gl3 but factoring the initial price difference I can't decide. Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

if you shop, you can find new cumaras for around $180.00, give or take.

add a lifetime over-the-counter warranty and the cumara becomes the better value, imo, than a used gl3.

ymmv.

have an 844 and cumara and like my cumara better

between the cumara and gl3 take the cumara all the way but if you step up to an imx or glx then id take a glx but between an imx and cumara its a toss up

X2, Having used the GLX and Cumara, a GLX beats the Cumara but if a gl3 the Cumara would be best.

G.Loomis IMX and GLX series are great rods.

Below those grades there are a number of

alternatives as good or better and generally

cheaper.

Thanks for all of the input and advice. I am now considering buying both if I can swing it. The MBR843C for most of my light to moderate cover jig fishing as well as C-rigs. The Cumara for most other bottom plastics. My question now is do I get the Cumara in 6'8" M/F, M/XF, MH/F, or MH/XF? I want a well rounded arsenal so this rod would basically need to fill the gap between the Loomis and a spinning outfit where plastics are concerned.

I forgot to stress this.... Keep in mind the Loomis is half price at $115! I can also save money on the Cumara by going through eBay stores, the 6'8" goes for $199 shipped.

That is a good price on the MBR, but you can find a like new Avid/Powell/Crucial for that price in a 7ft. MH/F and then get the M/XF Cumara for the in between rod you mentioned.

If you decide you are 100% going to pick up the Loomis then I would still go with the M/XF cumara in the length you want. Just my .02 cents :)

That is a good price on the MBR, but you can find a like new Avid/Powell/Crucial for that price in a 7ft. MH/F and then get the M/XF Cumara for the in between rod you mentioned.

If you decide you are 100% going to pick up the Loomis then I would still go with the M/XF cumara in the length you want. Just my .02 cents :)

Please excuse my ignorance, but why the XF? what advantages or disadvantages does it have over a fast for plastics? I'm not questioning your advice, I have simply never fished with an XF rod and would like details so I understand before I make a purchase.

Check out this link.

http://www.***.com/rodselection.html

Extra Fast rods are primarily used for applications that involve bottom contact baits. Some have even said that it makes a rod more sensitive; of course this is subjective. A fast action rod will make a good all-around rod while a moderate action is preferred by some for crankbaits. I hope this helps.

Well I ended up buying the GL3 MBR783C which was in like new condition for $115. I also went to a tackle shop two towns over and was introduced to dobyns rods (until then I had only read about them on the web). I intended to walk out with an MBR843C IMX, but after comparing the dobyns champion to he IMX, the champ was lighter, more sensative, looked nicer and $40 cheaper! I walked out with the dobyns champion 703c. I hope I made the right choice!

I forgot to update my earlier posts; the gentleman selling the loomis had a large collection of them for sale as he is building an arsenal of customs. At the time of the original post he thought he had a 843. After checking what was left he realized it was a 783.

Check out this link.

http://www.***.com/rodselection.html

Extra Fast rods are primarily used for applications that involve bottom contact baits. Some have even said that it makes a rod more sensitive; of course this is subjective. A fast action rod will make a good all-around rod while a moderate action is preferred by some for crankbaits. I hope this helps.

great link , thanks......Does *** have any more articles like this ?  cant seem to even find this without this link

great link , thanks......Does *** have any more articles like this ? cant seem to even find this without this link

Go directly to their home page, scroll about half-way down on the right side - "Fishing Guides"

http://www.***.com/

great link , thanks......Does *** have any more articles like this ? cant seem to even find this without this link

Go directly to their home page, scroll about half-way down on the right side - "Fishing Guides"

http://www.***.com/

Thank you