Sign in to follow this  
repper

which reel?

if you could purchase either a Shimano core 50, or a NIB Daiwa Aphas Ito for the same amount (and i can) which would you choose?

thanks

Bob

You are paying too much for the Ito.  I'd still choose an Ito, I have one, plus two Sols, and an Alphas.

Instead od buying 1, buy 2 abu garcia revo-s reels and still save 20 bucks. Check them out, I have 5 of them and love them.

Instead od buying 1, buy 2 abu garcia revo-s reels and still save 20 bucks. Check them out, I have 5 of them and love them.

second that

LOL, two Revos, I don't care what flavor <> either of the other reels in any regard.

And good price on those, get the Shimano, simply for the warranty.

The Core 50MG7 is my favorite reel.

8-)

I'm glad to hear that!!

If it was an Alphas R-edition, I would go in that direction... I'm just not a fan of the alphas ito unless you want it for a collection.  The finish on that reel is high maintenance to say the least.  It's a great performer on the water though...

The Core 50MG7 is one bad little dude though.  Easily one of the best reels by Shimano IMHO.  So between those two, the Core for me.

I'm glad to hear that!!

If it was an Alphas R-edition, I would go in that direction... I'm just not a fan of the alphas ito unless you want it for a collection. The finish on that reel is high maintenance to say the least. It's a great performer on the water though...

The Core 50MG7 is one bad little dude though. Easily one of the best reels by Shimano IMHO. So between those two, the Core for me.

Im wondering if my Ito is going to show water stains. not sure it will bother my if it does, it just looks like it would.

Im wondering if my Ito is going to show water stains. not sure it will bother my if it does, it just looks like it would.

If you fish with it and get it wet, it will show signs of "water stains" unless you polish it after each use.  It's a very unique looking reel - and beautiful in a display case.  Just too much work for me as I'd have to polish it every time I used it.  I'm just VERY particular about my gear! 8-)  Some guys don't mind and think it adds character  ;)

I fish my ITO hard. Right now its actually taped to my topwater/jerkbait rod, which I've been too lazy to trade in for a new one with a working reel seat, LOL. It looks like hell. Junk gets in the Lexan palm plate, and yes it has water stains. All of that goes away with a ultrasonic bath. It is by far the LEAST touchy reel, mechanically speaking, in my stable - always works perfectly.  Same for my Sols and Alphas.

Now if I actually had time to take care of my own reels.....

;)