Sign in to follow this  
Blade-Runner

Good All-Around Spinning Rod - River Ready?

Hello, I am looking into a new versatile spinning rod for an assortment of applications and am seeking opinions. While I've gradually moved up through the years in terms of quality/prestige on most of my baitcasting gear, I've yet to really step into the light with a good spinning rod. I am seeking something to fill such a wide range of applications: a "truck" rod for having around in case of pits/ponds, something to live bait/bobber with, river smallmouths, vertical jigging for crappies/gills, possibly a marble-eye or two, and misc. applications on the boat for light lures for bass-fishing (soft jerks, small cranks, plastics, etc)...

I would prefer something shorter than 6'6", which seems to have severely limited my options. The best spinning rod I have right now is a 7' ML/F St. Croix Premier (which is a good rod). I would like something in the 6 - 6'6" range that can handle panfish to bass.

Of particular specificity is that I spend a great deal of time floating the river, where smallmouth is the game. My part of the Midwest doesn't see a whole lot of "whoppers" - typically 12-14" smallies. I need that shorter rod length for canoe/yak/john fishing and for portability and in-cab lock-up in the truck.

I've spent over a year thinking about that "tennessee-handle" Bronzeback Loomis (SMR 750) but cannot find much online nor any warm body who has fished it. I'd really like a "hybrid" or newfangled length (like a 6'2", 6'3") M/ML rod with a lot of versatility. I'm sure many of you have investigated this rod option with similar parameters - any ideas? Thanks and all the best. May ice-out be sooner than later.

I would check out the Loomis Bronzeback SMR 751S.  This is a very fun little rod that will work well for your intended purposes.  I use mine as a jerkbait rod and it's done a fantastic job with some bruiser brown and green fish, but has also handled a vareity of panfish.

You might consider a 721 gloomis. I've used it in the IMX, it's a great 6' light action rod.

SJR783S is a great "all around" rod, but you

might find the Avid AVS66MLF the perfect fit

for what you have described.

BTW, 6 1/2' and 7' rods are the most popular

lengths for freshwater fishing. Your choices are

not limited.

8-)

A rod shorter than about 6'6" makes it more of a specailty rod to me than an "all around" rod. Do you want shorter to fit in the truck? If so, there are good multi-piece rods out there, and even three piece travel rods that are pretty good if you look.

I have a 3-piece Browning "Safari" spinning rod (7' medium action) that goes almost everywhere with me, like my 8'6" 6-weight 4-piece fly rod.

If the only reason for a shorter rod is transporting it, I'd consider a two piece. Performance and reliability shouldn't be a problem, especially since you're looking at quality tackle. If you want a special length one piece, you might consider a custom builder.

check out the avid series from st. croix. i find the 6'3" rods perfect for kayak fishing. 6'3" mlxf is extremely fun to fish, the mxf is more versatile...

Thanks for the suggestions...

Yes I am looking for a one-piece rod.

No, transport is not the only reason. A 6-6.5 ft. rod fits the bill a little better for the small flows I fish on a regular basis.

Late-spring into mid-summer finds much more overhanging vegetation, a tighter "canopy" within which to cast/work, and 2 guys on a 13'6" RamX Canoe w/ 7 ft. spinning rods is a little anti-ergonomic.

The 6'3" St. Croix MLXF looks like a good little rod. I'm a little more used to their rating systems relative to power/action, so it makes thinking about a 0 vs. 1 power SR in Loomis difficult...