Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Rick Clunn BC or Nitro BC, or Johnny Morris Signature Series BC?

I am in the hunt for a new baitcaster and I was looking at these. I know some are on sale but I just want to compare these 3 or any other input is cool too!

Short answer for me would be the Rick Clunn.

Longer answer is that there's some differences between these three reels and some may or may not be important to you.

The Rick Clunn on sale for $72 is a great deal on an all-around reel with dual braking. The Nitro has the highest line capacity and drag rating but doesn't have dual braking. The JM reel has a bit higher drag rating than the RC reel and a higher bearing count but is $48 more. The JM also has a wide-spool model with high lign capacity if that is important to you.  All these reels are in the mid 9 oz range in weight.

So, if want a good all-round reel, get the RC. If you need the power, go for the Nitro. If you have the bucks, the JM is a very nice reel. If you decide on the RC - act quick as they were sold out for a while and no telling how much longer they will be available.

Another reel to consider is the Pro Qualifier and many of us are hoping it will go back down to $80 during the BPS spring sale. The PQ offers dual-braking and 4 available ratios and is an ounce lighter than the other 3 reels.

id go with either the RC or the Johnny Morris.. def not the nitro.. the other 2 have pretty good track records..

I had the Nitro for a while.  It was an okay reel but I wasn't happy with the drag  There was basically 2 settings.........tight and really tight.

The nitro is basically an inshore extreme and is meant to be a tank to hold up to fishing for big bass in thick cover.  The others mentioned would be better suited for overall applications.  The RC is at good price right now.

Id go with the Clunn otherwise look at a Pro qualifier! Imo the pro qualifier is the best reel for the money! If you can wait till the spring classic with the reel trade in and other sales/deals BPS has!

I've had several JM reels over the last 10 or 12 years. They are good solid reels and I've never experienced any problems with any that I've had. The only down side to these reels is the weight. They are very heavy. It's amazing to me that 2 ounces can make such a huge difference! I can have a JM reel and a Revo Premier on the exact same model rod and the one with the JM feels 3lbs heavier!

Since so many companies are coming out with light (5oz-7oz) reels its just really hard for me to spend money on standard weight reels anymore. The down side here is that the lighter reels are much more expensive.

...Since so many companies are coming out with light (5oz-7oz) reels its just really hard for me to spend money on standard weight reels anymore. The down side here is that the lighter reels are much more expensive.

The new BPS Carbonlite is only 6.7 oz - and only $120...  :;)

Rick Clunnnnn!!! just wanted to give a shout out, that dude can fish. Ever noticed him and Stacy King look alike? lol