Sign in to follow this  
SuthernHaze

decisions on ultralight set up

I am going to set-up an ultra light rig and need some help deciding on rod and reels. I am  going to list everything in consideration and see what you would pair. Granite i know there is some pretty big price differences between some of the things but still i am stuck

Reels

1. Shimano Stradic FI 1000

2. Pflueger President 20 - micro ultralight

3. Pflueger President 25 - ultralight

4. Abu Garcia Cardinal 501

5. Abu Garcia Cardinal 601-

(Not sure of differences between the 501 and the 601. And if these are not the ultra light versions then do not consider please. I use abu baitcasters so i figured i should include these)

*I did not include any daiwas because even though some are listed as UL the line capacity makes me think bigger than UL

Rods

1. Falcon Original 5'6'' UL

2. Allstar team series 6'4'' UL

3. St.Croix Avid Series 6' UL

4. St.Croix  Avid Series 6'6'' UL

5. St.Croix Premier Series 6'UL

6. St.Croix Premier Series 6'6'' UL

If there is just something amazing you feel should be in my list then you can throw it in there

Well its not listed but the Daiwa Tournament SS series would be the last reel you would have to worry about buying. The 700 size in particular. They are awesome bullet proof reels. Great drags in case you hook a big un. They are just great solid reels.

I don't think the line capacity (Daiwa) needs to be a major consideration as long as the reel is compatible with the rod, line and lures you're planning to use. My UL rods are 5'6", but if I were using them to strictly target bass, I'd go longer.

you need to define what you are calling UL.  If you are looking for a strickly bass set up a Light rod may be what you need.  And for bass the action of the rod needs to be fast. 

Ultra light for me is a Shimano Symetre 500 reel and St. Croix  5' UL moderate action rod. The reel is spooled with a max of 4lb line.

I have a Light rod that is a Symetre 1000 and st croix 6' light rod spooled with 4- 8 mono or braid. This is what I use for UL Bass fishing.

I have a Gander Mountain UL rod that is 7" long and has a really good action to it. I have caught some good sized Bass on it. It is not one of the typical "buggy whip" rods either. I have a Mitchell Avocet reel on it, but I would look into one of the U.S. Reel Co. spinning reels, as their spools are large diameter and help keep the line from coiling up and casting better.

if it is for bass , forgo the UL and get a LIGHT powered , ex-fast rod . i would suggest a shimano clarus 6'6'' L , ex-fast spinning rod with a shimano stradic ci14 2500 , spooled with 6# p-line cxx .....

had a president 6725 and i loved the reel , but i would take the 20 size over the 25 just for the rubber grips.

i now have an abu garcia 801 on a 6'6" L/F rod that is a beast but it is a bit heavier in weight to be on a UL rod imo. the 300u would be a good option as well. iirc , ffo-tackle has some reconditioned abu cardinals for cheap.

maybe a shimano sedona?

I do mean UL in the since of UL. I am going to be using it primarily for crappie and small inline spinners for little bass in a few ponds around here.

I do mean UL in the since of UL. I am going to be using it primarily for crappie and small inline spinners for little bass in a few ponds around here.

i have the shimano clarus 6'6'' L XF  , i use it for crappie , blue gill , and trout . this rod is perfect for those species . has a soft extra fast tip but has suprising backbone . if you can handle one at a store , you will really like it . it also has shimano's life time warranty and they cost around 60-70 bucks !!!! btw , i also drop shot with it , a very versatile rod for sure  :)

You forgot the Pflueger Supreme :( The 25 size would give you some good line capacity and still be very light. You didn't mention Daiwa, so I won't tell you about may favorite spinning reels :)

When going ultralight, you really need to think about the baits you are using and the type of fish you're going after. Coming from the Northeast, I had a couple very nice Trout rods. Although they were great for feeling that little nibble around the creek bend and then softly setting the hook, I could seldom set the hook on a bass. If you are after bass, use sharp hooks and a rod with enough backbone to set the hook appropriately. Also, if you are only going for bass, you may want to think "finesse" rods rather than ultra light :)

Panfish are a blast on ultra light gear :)

I recently placed my order which was limited by price but of the reviews and everything else I read from pros, amateur tourney fishermen and weekend warriors the Pfluegers were rated very high across the board regardless of which reel...

I myself bought the Pflueger Trion GX-7... I got the 4740GX rod and 7' Med rod combo ($70)

I also would recommend the Trion GX7 reel. However the 4740 is not a UL reel. The 4520 and 4725 is. Of these two I would go with the 4725 as it has seven bearings vs. only four on the 4720.

I have had both the 30 and 35 models and caught fish from slab crappie to 10lb. striper on them. They have on of the smoothest and easiest to set drags I have ever encountered on a spinning reel. In one day I caught five striper one right after the other that went over 28" on the 35 model with no problems. These reels are reasonably priced too.

As far as a rod goes, I agree with the others who have recommended a "light" action rod with an XF tip for bass fishing. Would work equally well for panfish.

What are you fishing for, and what will you be throwing.  "UL" is sort of a genre of its own.  it could mean tossing 1/16 oz. roadrunners, but to someone else it might mean 1/100 jigs, and yet another it could mean slip corking small bugs.

I don't know much about all those specific reels and rods you mention. But, in general:

What you want in an UL reel is retrieve speed. I'm sure you'll get that in most nowadays. But avoid tiny spools that only offer 20ipt.

As to rods, man...once IM6 hit the racks, good ULs were everywhere. Expensive high modulus is nice to have, but IMO not as important in a short light power rod, than in a longer stronger power rod.

As in any rig, decide on the line rating you want: 1-4, 2-6, 4-8. The line ratings differ in the hook sizes you'll be using, and the fish you'll be fishing for:

For soft mouthed fish in open water the 1-4 is dyno. I use this for trout with little in-lines and tiny jigs -1/64 to 1/16 w/light wire hooks.

I like a stronger rod for bass, bc I will be using slightly larger lures with heavier hooks, and may need to steer a fish from cover. Also, going too light for the fish is not as much fun a fight as one with scaled tackle.

Some stuff to think about.

Then, if you can, go to a store and try the rigs in hand. See what you like best; I'm sure all you mention are good reels and rods.

I love crappie fishing. I occasionally like to fish stream trout as well, although my legs don't hold up much to it anymore. I have a few dependable UL rigs I use rather frequently.

My top combo is a B n' M rod: It's a Sam's SuperSensitive, 7' UL. This is matched with a Symetre 750 size reel. Loaded with 2# test mono. Have been using this combo for serious crappie fishing now for about 3 years. Works really well for me.

I also have two BPS "Micro-Lite" rods; one graphite and one fiberglass. Both do the job adequately when matched with a small, inexpensive Diawa reels. Can't say enough about the rods; not crazy about the reels though.