Sign in to follow this  
Basstronaut

What do I have? What's next?

I have one rod/reel combo at the mo, I'm now in the market for another, but first need to figure out what I have, and what it's best suited for, so the next rig will compliment it.

Switching from a weightless texas rig to a carolina rig to a popper to a crankbait just takes too long, I need more time in the water  ;D and can't splash out at once on the 6 rigs I'd like to have.

So, the rod I have is a Shimano Convergence, power = medium, action = fast.

The reel is a shimano spinning reel, I'll definately be going for a bait cast, already have an eye on a 5 bearing shimano Bantam, any suggestions welcome tho.

The line I'm using at the moment is Trilene 10 pound, stick with this?

Here is my line up of rods i use for different lures. I use a 6'6" or 7" med/heavy action for my crankbaits. If you throw alot of light crankbaits a medium action is better. I use10 lb test line mostly unless i am fishing alot of laydowns then i beef it up to 14 lb test. For spinnerbaits i use 14 line and med/heavy action with a faster tip. For flipping and pitching i use a 7'10" flipping stick a 7' with 65 lb braid or 17 lb test if i am fishing sparse cover. My spinning rod is medium action with 10 lb line the rod is 6'6". / reels i use for cranking have 4 bearings and are 6.3 to 1 gear ratio/for spinnerbaits i use 5 to1 gear ratio/ flipping 6.3 to 1

Hope this helps you out? General purpose rod would be med/heavy action 6'6" or 7",reel would be 6 to1 ratio. (if i was to choose one for everything)

if ur looking for a well priced baitcasting combo that  definatly gets the job done

go with the BPS "pro qualifier" i like it in low profile with either fast or slow gear ratio. u can get the combo with a BPS extreme rod in several lengths and actions.

if ur looking for a well priced baitcasting combo that  definatly gets the job done

go with the BPS "pro qualifier" i like it in low profile with either fast or slow gear ratio. u can get the combo with a BPS extreme rod in several lengths and actions.

Thanks, I checked the basspro shop amongst others, they don't export to South Africa, and the one I found that does expects $75 shipping :D

I've now opted for a 6'6" Shimano Compre Medium Heavy and either a Shimano Curado or a Shimano Chronarch 100mg, I'm hoping for the Chronarch, depends on affordability, will find out today.

ouch, best I can get the Chronarch for is close to twice as much as the Curado, we already pay +- 150% to  200% compared to prices on US based sites, so that will wait until someday when I have money to burn. Seems like the Curado is a descent buy tho.

BTW, since the bearings are stainless steel, is there any reason I can't occasionally use the reel at the coast?

I noticed the chronarch said anti-rust bearings, no idea why they wouldn't say the same for the stainless steel bearings found in the curado, what am I missing?

im not possitve about this but i dont think u can use a curado in saltwater, but i think the chronarch is made for both fresh and saltwater, but not for sure

Salt water is very hard on any gear.  I would take care to do a very good job of rinsing with fresh water if I was to use my gear in salt water.  Fresh water gear will survive an ocassional use in the salt, but it is not something that I would reccomend for my best freshwater gear!

Nice reels I prefer Daiwa's my self but the Shimanos are just as nice. I would not recommend using the Curado in saltwater, unless you plan on tearing the reel down every time you do and rinsing all the small parts and oiling them. I think the curado has carbonized gears and parts these will rust very quickly!! The bearings would probably be ok for occasional use but the gears and other parts would rust like crazy. Try to get a 7' MH rod for this reel it will make it more of an all purpose outfit.

Tight Lines,

Fatdaddy 151

What's the deal?

You dug up a thread from 2004 and posted

a response that has nothing to do with the

question. The CI4 is a spinning reel.

::D