Sign in to follow this  
SuthernHaze

crankbait

7' M/MF Kistler MgAJCBSGGM70 Alton Jones Crank Bait Special graphite/glass composite. Great rod, light and sensitive.

The only negative (for me anyway) is the split grip. I just don't like 'em. If this thing had a full cork grip it would be absolutely killer. As much as I like the blank, the split grip really is a deal-breaker for me and I'll probably wind up getting rid of it a little later in the season.

http://www.tackledirect.com/kistler-mgajcbsggm70-alton-jones-crankbait-casting-rod.html

St. croix avid avc70mm. you can find these in good used cond for 90-100 dollars

7' M/MF Kistler MgAJCBSGGM70 Alton Jones Crank Bait Special graphite/glass composite. Great rod, light and sensitive.

The only negative (for me anyway) is the split grip. I just don't like 'em. If this thing had a full cork grip it would be absolutely killer. As much as I like the blank, the split grip really is a deal-breaker for me and I'll probably wind up getting rid of it a little later in the season.

It's funny how people have different preferences. I'm just diving into the split grip pool. So far from playing in the basement, I really like the split grip, no foregrip design of my new spinning rod. Monday, I should be getting the casting rod experiment ;)

I'd actually considered starting a thread about split grip Crankbait rods :) I'm running out of excuses for new rods, but I don't have a dedicated Crankbait rod yet ;)

I don't have strong feelings either way about foregrips, but after owning a couple split grip rods, I just prefer a full cork grip. The whole black foam grip thing isn't my style either. Reminds me of Ugly Sticks. 

I typically cast lipless and deeper cranks with two hands, so a full grip cranking rod is definitely more comfortable to me.

Funny, I had an EVA grip trout rod 15 years ago.  Ever since then I've wanted rods with "foam" grips.  Even so, virtually all of mine are still cork (until Monday ;) )  With different tastes & needs we can keep the manufacturers in business ;)

It does sound as though you liked the Kistler glass/graphite composite blank.  Do you think that is the way to go over all graphite rods?  Thanks

I really like the feel and response of the blank. It's soft enough to keep a fish on without being "whippy" like many of the glass rods I had handled. If it had a full cork grip, I'd see no need to get rid of it.

It'll most likley be replaced with an Avid AVC70MM later this season. Spending all of my extra money on fly fishing gear right now. ;)

so looks like one kistler and a couple avid series right now... am i to assume that the avid series is just a great series since it is used by all different applications

so looks like one kistler and a couple avid series right now... am i to assume that the avid series is just a great series since it is used by all different applications

After a reading a couple years of posts about the Avid, I think its safe to say that the Avid series has the same reputation for quality, consistency and value that might be attributed to a Toyota Camry Honda Accord or Ford F150.

For most crankbaits and especially lipless lures,

Avid AVC70MM. For bigger lures and deep divers,

Lamiglas SR705R.

8-)

I'm using a GBlanks 7'6" MH crankbait rod and I love it. It's light, strong, sensitive, and you can have one made with whatever type of handle you want. By the way, I have the exact same Kistler rod that Stasher1 is talking about for sell in the flea market forum.

Bird dog, what do you like about the GBlanks vs the Kistler composite for cranks?  Thanks!!

Two BPS Crankin' Sticks: a 7' MH and a 6 1/2' M.

man just go ahead and get them GLOOMIS crankbait rods lol ;D. naw but american rodsmiths makes a david friths crankin series. i got the 6'6" and as far as light an accuracy its pretty good. as far as deep cranks i like my falcon 7 mh

i have a 6 foot 6in g.loomis cranking rod.  with a 5.0:1 shimano calais paired with it.

So for shallow to mid. cranks (2-8ft) you should use a medium power, medium/moderate action rod?  For deep divers (10ft and deeper) you should use a medium heavy, medium/moderate action?

Also, is a 5.?:1 really nessasary for shallow to mid. cranks?  I have a Bantam Chronarch 100 that is 6.2:

1 that seems to work well for me with my traps and shallow cranks.

2 BPS Crankin Sticks, really like them, I've not had a fish come unbuttoned since I started using them.  But then again I don't use crankbaits a lot, but they double as my topwater buzzbait rod and spinnerbait rods.  Both are 7 footers one Medium and one MH.

I just picked up one of these.  7' M/MF Kistler MgAJCBSGGM70 Alton Jones Crank Bait Special graphite/glass composite.

Haven't used it yet but it feels great.

madd 5.0:1 lets you crank all day if you want to without getting tired, if you start going up in the gear ratios it gets harder to crank which tires you out faster.  also 5.0:1 gives my cranks a great speed i feel.

Bird dog, what do you like about the GBlanks vs the Kistler composite for cranks? Thanks!!

Brother, you just have to hold one to appreciate it. I have owned all sorts of Kistlers, Diawas, Shimanos, All Stars, etc...and I'm slowly replacing them all with GBlanks rods. Not only are they lightweight and sensitive, but you can customize them however you want. You choose the handle, guides, spiral wrap, whatever and they don't cost any more (usually less) than comparible rods from other rod makers. Check 'em out. www.imaginationbassin.com

for deep crankin....

i have a quantum iron ir300c  (not sure of the gearing... its slow) on a 7' m/h fast bps gs series rod. its big and kinda heavy. good tip though. im actually thinking of making that my frog rod because i also have a quantum classic 1420mgc 5.1:1 on an allstar 7' m/h that i got at the end of the summer last year that i just love.

Also, is a 5.?:1 really nessasary for shallow to mid. cranks? I have a Bantam Chronarch 100 that is 6.2:

1 that seems to work well for me with my traps and shallow cranks.

You don't need a low gear ratio for shallow/medium diving crankbaits.

madd 5.0:1 lets you crank all day if you want to without getting tired, if you start going up in the gear ratios it gets harder to crank which tires you out faster. also 5.0:1 gives my cranks a great speed i feel.

So you think a 5.0 is a must for all types of cranks? Even shallow?

You don't need a low gear ratio for shallow/medium diving crankbaits.

I think I'm gonna use my 6.2 for my shallow and medium set up and at some point buy a 5.0 for the deep divers. I know it's not a good idea to use a high gear ratio on the deep divers, but I didn't think it was as big of deal to use a higher gear ratio for the shallow and medium divers since it's a matter of tourqe and not speed.