Sign in to follow this  
RichF

New Powell 702 crank rod...disappointment

I just got my first powell rod in the mail today from ***. My first impression...awesome, I can't believe a glass rod could be so light. I put on my revo  premier so I could test its flex. Hardly put any tension on it and it snapped a foot from the tip! Has anyone had this happen to their powell?! I've heard so many good things.

how did you "test it's flex"?

I snapped a 704c because i pulled on the line that was already threaded through the guides. Learned never to test a rod this way again. TW replaced it right away though.

how did you "test it's flex"?

I threaded the line thru the guides, brought the the end of the line down to the reel and i pulled the line to make the rod bend. I didn't stress the rod to the point where it should've broke. It must have been a defective rod. I do that to all my new rods and this is the first time that's ever happened.

just checking, some guys try to flex their rods in ridiculous ways. I think you probably got a defective rod. I would return it.

I think you guys are right. Must be defective. I posted the same question on the tackletour forum and the owner of powell responded in a just a few minutes. He said he would be happy to replace it for me. Fantastic customer service! It's awesome cuz I really didnt want to have to buy different rod..the 702 felt so at home with the revo.

I'm thinking it was a little bruise or defect.  I don't know how many times I've done that little test without snapping a rod.

Oooops....should have read this thread first, I just posted on this subject. You have to admit, that is great service though.