Sign in to follow this  
Stasher1

Would you find this acceptable?

I bought a rod at the end of last month from an online vendor and hadn't really used it until the other day. When I did, I noticed this...

crooked_guide.jpg

The manufacturer's website says that I have to pay for shipping it back to them and pay another $30 to cover shipping a replacement rod.  :-/

This is a fly rod and that crooked guide is the first stripper guide. It doesn't appear to effect the function of the rod, but it's all I see every time I pick it up.

It's not an expensive rod (retail $60-$80), so knowing that, would you eat the shipping both ways (~$40) to exchange it or just deal with it? I'm going to call their customer service dept. on Monday and see what they have to say, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

I don't like it. You shouldn't have to spend money on a manufacturing defect. But if that's their policy and it was made available to you prior to purchase, I guess you don't have much choice, but I hope they will make an exception when you talk to them.

Only you can decide if $40 shipping is worth not having to look at that guide every time.

Let us know how you make out.

no.

id also ask them if their reputation is worth the shipping charges.

It's a fly rod?

If so, then then it's almost certainly supposed to be like that.

Some fly rod companies build the guide with a slight offset to the side under the assumption that it will make stripping with your left hand easier. Your elbow moves back and forth at your side, which is naturally to the left of where the rest of the guides are aligned when holding the rod with your right hand. That style of wrap guides the line from your right hand towards your left.

Yeah I don't even know what I am looking at. It looks normal.

I don't think you can expect perfection out of a $60 rod. I would just use the rod as is. It would be a different story if we were talking about a high dollar Scott, Sage, Orvis, etc.

Hmmm, low cost spinning  and baitcasting rods don't have crooked guides...do they..?

Hmmm, low cost spinning and baitcasting rods don't have crooked guides...do they..?

YES!!

Each time I've ever bought a rod that was in the $20 -$50 range (or any other rod for that matter too) I have had to check several of them to make sure the guides all line up and are straight, and sometimes this isn't enough either. They may all be straight with each other but not be aligned with the reel seat.

I have seen $100 and above rods have the same problems though, but it's MUCH more rare. It's quite common in cheaper rods though.  Go to Walmart and just grab several of their rods and you'll see right away that a lot of them have crooked guides.

To the original poster, I do not know if the rod is SUPPOSED to be that way as suggested by someone else, but if it is not then I most definitely would not like it. And the suggestion to ask them if their reputation is worth $40..........that's priceless!!! Also valuable advice too because that's exactly what I'd do if it came to that.

It's a fly rod?

Some fly rod companies build the guide with a slight offset to the side under the assumption that it will make stripping with your left hand easier. Your elbow moves back and forth at your side, which is naturally to the left of where the rest of the guides are aligned when holding the rod with your right hand. That style of wrap guides the line from your right hand towards your left.

Thanks Dan#. I never new that about fly rods. Great piece of information.

Dan is right, not all fly rods but I have seen some slightly off center.  I would use the rod as is, you won't even notice the difference after a few minutes of use and rod will function normal. A fly rod is one area where I would spend a serious buck.

Dan is right, not all fly rods but I have seen some slightly off center. I would use the rod as is, you won't even notice the difference after a few minutes of use and rod will function normal. A fly rod is one area where I would spend a serious buck.

As I said in my initial post, it doesn't appear to effect the function at all, as it's just a stripper guide. It just doesn't look right. I have since bought two more expensive rods, and neither one have crooked stripper guides. This rod will primarily be used for bream and bluegill on a local pond, so an expensive rod would be a waste of money.

I don't think you can expect perfection out of a $60 rod. I would just use the rod as is. It would be a different story if we were talking about a high dollar Scott, Sage, Orvis, etc.

It's a Redington, a subsidiary of Sage.

So did you call customer service? I'd like to hear what they said about your complaint.  ;D

As a general rule, calling customer service on a weekend is a waste of time. The time to call CS is when the upper management are in their offices. As a wise man once said "Never accept a NO from someone who lacks the authority to give you a YES."  :)

It's entirely possible that it's supposed to be that way, but from a manufacturing perspective it make very little sense. Since the company can't be sure that the buyer will mend with their left hand, it makes no sense to offset the guide to the left.

It's a fly rod?

I don't agree. I have owned a handful of flyrods and used many more, including mid to high-end Sage and St. Croix rods. The guides on these are straight as an arrow.

When stripping line, the line is held against the cork handle by the index finger of the hand holding the rod, and stripped straight down with the other hand. This is the flyfisherman's "anti-reverse." Holding the line next to the reel would negate any advantage of off-center guides.

It's a fly rod?

I don't agree. I have owned a handful of flyrods and used many more, including mid to high-end Sage and St. Croix rods. The guides on these are straight as an arrow.

When stripping line, the line is held against the cork handle by the index finger of the hand holding the rod, and stripped straight down with the other hand. This is the flyfisherman's "anti-reverse." Holding the line next to the reel would negate any advantage of off-center guides.

Ok, then don't buy a rod with an offset stripper guide.