Sign in to follow this  
Oldbritguy

Need a good lightweight baitcaster under $200?

I built a nice 5' med/light casting rod this winter, and am looking for a suitable lightweight reel to throw up to 1/2 oz crankbaits at least 100 feet, mainly for smallmouth bass in the rocks and shoals in very clear water.

There seem to be so many baitcasting reels out there these days, and such a variety of features, I'm just totally confused how to evaluate them.

I'd just like to find a nice lightweight ( 7 ozs or less) casting reel that casts and retreives smoothly, 7.0:1 or so retreive ratio, left hand crank, and (hopefully) less than $200. Any recommendations anybody???

I'm not partial to any manufacturer, but my other reels are Shimano and ABU, and qualitywise I like them both.

Any thoughts welcome. . .

i am the biggest Daiwa homer on this forum and im not sure about this reel. we spooled the reel at BPS and took turns messing around. after we were done my impression of the reel is: this one was packed full of grease or theyre just not very smooth.

id love to handle one thats been cleaned and correctly lubed.

as far as what the OP is looking for the only thing that comes to mind is a Curado E7.

i am the biggest Daiwa homer on this forum and im not sure about this reel. we spooled the reel at BPS and took turns messing around. after we were done my impression of the reel is: this one was packed full of grease or theyre just not very smooth.

as far as what the OP is looking for the only thing that comes to mind is a Curado E7.

x2

x2

x3

Revo Premier and Shimano Chronarch 50mg.  Both can be found under 200 dollars and are VERY light.

Just go to www.***.com and look at there reel section and pic the one you want.... Thats probably the main reason I like shopping at TW they don't sell crap

On auction sites, the Shimano Chronarch MG50/51 are going for aout $200. It weighs 5.9 oz and has a shallow, light spool. It feels perfect on my 5'6" MF rod and casts Senkos and Fat Ikas beautifully. From Daiwa, the Sol is also considered a finesse reel.

Newer reels with duel brakes that are also under 7.0 oz are the Revo Premiere, and on the inexpensive side, the new BPS CarbonLite (oops RH only) reel.

On auction sites, the Shimano Chronarch MG51 are going for aout $200. It weighs 5.9 oz and has a shallow, light spool. It feels perfect on my 5'6" MF rod and casts Senkos and Fat Ikas beautifully. From Daiwa, the Sol is also considered a finesse reel.

Newer reels with duel brakes that are also under 7.0 oz are the Revo Premiere and on the inexpensive side, the new BPS CarbonLite reel.

X2

X3

I have the right handed version, CH50MG.

The CH51MG is EXACTLY what you are

looking for.

Good luck!

8-)

I should have added that the MG51 also allows me to do quite well with 1/4 - 3/8 oz small, shallow cranks.  It is very forgiving for my skill level.  Admittedly, for the greatest casting distance with light crankbaits, I still resort to my spinning gear.

O.K. so it looks like a Cronarch MG51 might be the one I need.   But I cant seem to find one listed anywhere. 

Anybody know where I can get a new one, or an 'almost' new one in perfect condition?

I tend to check that auction site a couple times a month for the MG51.  They've gradually been going up in price over the past 6 months.  However, I think this is first time where I haven't seen at least one 51MG listed :)   They must be getting hard to find...

You might also want to check out a Daiwa SOl.  You can usually find a used one for around 200 or a little less.

I like to stick with one brand of rod and reel. I mostly fish St. Croix Avids with Shimano Curados. Love the E7. I suggest that you buy the same make of reel that makes your favorite reel that you own now. Every MFG has it's good & bad points but I like to be consistent with my equipment.

jmho