Sign in to follow this  
scrutch

Light lure baitcaster

Any recommendations on a baitcaster that EXCELS at casting lightweight lures like #6 rapalas and the like.  All the stuff I have is on MH rods and doesn't load up and cast lighter lures very well.   Need to add a medium setup to the arsenal.  I'm thinking (but not limited to) Shimano or Abu. 

If there's a crankbait rod that EXCELS at this too, I'd like your opinion.  Thanks.

guess I shoulda read a little first...

"New Shimano or Abu Garcia Bait Caster"

The rod is at least as important as the reel.

Suggestion: Avid AVC70MM/ Shimano CH50MG

8-)

The rod is at least as important as the reel.

Suggestion: Avid AVC70MM/ Shimano CH50MG

8-)

I like your style RW... I'm a st.Criox kinda guy.  Never had a chronarch though...

What are we talking for the whole thing... $350 - $400?

Yep:

Rod ~ $180

Reel ~ $190

chronarchs went on sale last year for about $180 if i recall correctly. might be kind of hard to find them now, but im not sure.

great little reel by the way, have one on my light jig baitcaster and couldnt be happier. my other one will be for my small/medium crank setup...

avids go for about $180 retail. i didnt have trouble finding them for about $150 last year. reeds sports had a couple sales...

edit:

RW beat me to it.

do a search on avids. cant go wrong

I agree with the TD Sol and Core (But I think mg51 is the right choice :)). I agree with the AVC70MM, too(even though i don't own it); they are very good rods.

A #6 rapala almost begs for a Med-Light power rod, but it would be kinda tough to find one in CB taper at reasonable price. It's a bit more difficult to cast a 1/8 crankbait than a weightless plastic because of the aerodynamicity(sp) issues.

My only question would be: "why use a baitcaster?"

i have a curado that throws weightless plastics and light lures with no problems.

supertuned??

I agree with the TD Sol and Core (But I think mg51 is the right choice ;)). I agree with the AVC70MM, too(even though i don't own it); they are very good rods.

A #6 rapala almost begs for a Med-Light power rod, but it would be kinda tough to find one in CB taper at reasonable price. It's a bit more difficult to cast a 1/8 crankbait than a weightless plastic because of the aerodynamicity(sp) issues.

My only question would be: "why use a baitcaster?"

No REAL reason I guess... other than accuracy. I've got several spinning combos that'll do the job.  It's no fun taking a combo out of my arsenal and not replacing it. (read my other post titled "what the heck". Its about my Quantum with a 3 cast lifespan)

I might just add two new combos :) :)