Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

The Fishing Line System

In case you missed this on our Home Page:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/fishing-line-system.html

I found the article very interesting. What do you think?

8-)

I also think it is interesting and has potential.

In the case of tying on 10 to 12 ft of mono for treble hook situations, will there be enough additional line stretch versus a shorter leader, or just using all mono?

I've been toying with the idea of using the 40lb PowerPro I have on the shelf, but I frequently fish from the bank of a rocky quarry with lots of brush on the sides.  I suspect that even with a 10 foot leader of Gamma/Yo-Zori Copoly, the braid will get pretty beat up since I'm constantly reeling line over rocks and through brush.  However, the FLS may give me a reason to break open the PowerPro :)

It nice to see it in writing and I too have employed this system in the past. The one minor thing that peeves me is the occassional occurrence of the knot getting caught up in the guides during a cast. Not a show stopper, but just irritating.

That culprit is using a leader longer than 3'. A 3' leader for my fishing needs was simply too short a length and therefore impractical if not inconvenient for the high potential of reties I encounter. As a result my leader length is closer to 15-20'.

Another plus is that the spool's capacity is kept closer to optimum since the line lost or cutoff (unless going full braid) is only the leader. In addition, keeping it near optimum enhances casting distance and keeps the reel's retrieval at its advertised line recovery rate.

I'm not really a braid fan.  I used powerpro for a while 8-10 years ago and seemed to lose more fish with it.  I can't seem to slow my reaction down when setting the hook and I rip a hole in the fish's mouth large enough for the hook to fall out.  With copoly the hook just pierces through.

That said, I just got in some new Daiwa and Suffix braid to try out.  My vision is getting worse so I needed a hi-vis line for jigs & plastics.  The Daiwa has really shocked me at how quiet and smooth it is.  I haven't got to fish with either of them yet so I'm not sure which I will like better.  I hope that a good stretchy mono will offset the braid enough for me to get comfortable with it.

Maybe this time next year I will have braid on all of my rigs, and this system will work for me also! :)

I have been an avid fly fisherman for years and have recently started bassin with traditional tackle. When i read the article i realized i had been doing the same thing for years with the fly rod.  So last night i spooled up some power pro 8/30# and addedd a 8# flouro leader.  I didn't take into account the zero stretch of the braid and broke off three fish on the hookset before i realized i was fishing with zero stretch line.  Once i got that figured, i think i am sold on the idea.  Seems to work well and cut down on the number of rods i tend to carry.

Whats crazy is I was sitting here earlier today thinking about doing that on my jig/worm rod.  In the last Bassmaster magazine theres an article with Kim Bain-Moore and they mention that she has braid  with a fluoro leader on a lot of her rods.

Didn't know it was anything special! Been using that method since I discovered braided line

x2

But it's not for everyone.

:)

A-Jay