Sign in to follow this  
BigMoneyGrip

The fishing gods hate me (UPDATE)

What am I doing wrong???

I have a new Saros F 2500 and a St Croix Premier rod. I use Seaguar Red Lable, 8 lbs test.

I got what I think was a "wind knot". It looked like a casting net between my rod and lure. I wasn't able to get it out so I cut, loosing about 20 yds of line. Thinking a swivel would help, I put one of these on, only to get another casting net yesterday. I was able to get this one picked out, though.

I use KVD line treatment when I'm finished. What gives? This is really frustrating and I don't have any children to sacrifice.

Thanks,

Scott.

I switched line to 8 lbs Stren. I went fishing yesterday and had a Zoom fluke rigged weightless. After a few cast, I had another "net" in my line. I was about ready to throw the whole rig in the lake but I got to thinking about it.....

I noticed how the fluke was twisting and twirling as I was working it back. All of this was adding twists to my line. I cut that off and just added a small crankbait to test. I "tested" for about 2 hours and it worked beautifully!

I got this combo to use for small plastics and now I'm not sure it was the best choice. I'm gonna keep it now that I know what NOT to do with it.

Thanks for your help,

Scott.

if that's happening on your spinning reel, you probably put the line on wrong, or you somehow twisted the line very badly.  I would try re-spooling, and make sure the line doesn't twist when you put it on.

Are you sure that's not a bait caster rod?

Troll your line out behind you, and the twist will go away. You probably spooled up wrong, and respooling wrongly won't fix anything. here's a nice tidbit from the Shimano FAQ that describes the process well:

To put line on your Shimano spinning reel place the reel in the reel seat on the rod. Take your spool of line (for recommended weights please refer to your reel owner's manual) and run the line through the smallest guide at the tip, then through all of the guides toward the reel. Tie the line onto the spool with the bail in the open position (there is no bail on the baitcasting reel), pull on your line to assure that your knot is secure and then close the bail. After the bail is closed, rotate your handle away from you until you have spooled up the desired amount of line. For best results, place a pencil in the center of the spool and have a friend hold either end of the pencil securing the spool while you are filling the spool on your reel.

Thanks for the help.

The guy at BPS put the line on and I asked about how to spool it. What he said made sense, so, I sure the line is spooled correctly. When I open the bail with the lure at rest, it doesn't try to unspool. I'd think with it spooled incorrectly, it would try to unspool by itself.

When I cast out, I can see the memory in the line. Would it hurt if I tied my line to something and walked off half the spool and let it sit in the sun for a while???

Thanks y'all.

If he did any other way than this, its wrong:

880738009_nezoX-O.gif

To fix, let out a 100 yards or so of line behind the boat (without anything attached) troll for a few minutes, and then reel in under tension.

x2 to J. Francho's advise. Also, after you cast close the bail by hand and NOT with the reel handle. This will help reduce some future line twist.

x2 to J. Francho's advise. Also, after you cast close the bail by hand and NOT with the reel handle. This will help reduce some future line twist.

Yup  sho nuff.

Yeah, I always close the bail by hand and make sure the line is tight before reeling.

What am I doing wrong???

I have a new Saros F 2500 and a St Croix Premier rod. I use Seaguar Red Lable, 8 lbs test.

I got what I think was a "wind knot". It looked like a casting net between my rod and lure. I wasn't able to get it out so I cut, loosing about 20 yds of line. Thinking a swivel would help, I put one of these on, only to get another casting net yesterday. I was able to get this one picked out, though.

I use KVD line treatment when I'm finished. What gives? This is really frustrating and I don't have any children to sacrifice.Thanks,

Scott.

Fishing gods no longer accept children sacrifice, all though if you will sent me any G.Loomis or Shimano you might have I will see if I can calm them down. Your Welcome

I switched line to 8 lbs Stren. I went fishing yesterday and had a Zoom fluke rigged weightless. After a few cast, I had another "net" in my line. I was about ready to throw the whole rig in the lake but I got to thinking about it.....

I noticed how the fluke was twisting and twirling as I was working it back. All of this was adding twists to my line. I cut that off and just added a small crankbait to test. I "tested" for about 2 hours and it worked beautifully!

I got this combo to use for small plastics and now I'm not sure it was the best choice. I'm gonna keep it now that I know what NOT to do with it.

Thanks for your help,

Scott.

A couple thoughts...you might try re-rigging your fluke so that the hook is centered and there are no bends in the fluke.  Or, you may just need to try a different batch of flukes.  The other alternative that is to add a swivel.  If you don't want a swivel snap right at the hook, you can attach a leader in-between the swivel and the fluke.

Leon

Are you overfilling the spool?

If the line flies off your spool and hits the bail you have too much line on the reel.

Try going 50% of line and see if that helps.

The increase the amount of line until you find out if this is the problem.

You may need a bigger swivel, too.  ;)