Sign in to follow this  
NateFollmer

Reel feels sluggish after oiling...

ok heres what I did:

Took my handle off my baitcaster, removed the drag adjustment then I stopped because I didn't feel comfortable trying to grease my reel before a big trip. I put it all back together the way it came out (i laid it out as I disassembled). I put a small amount of oil (I'm talking maybe a pinhead drop) into both sides of the spool. I cranked a few times to work the oil in. I also put a drop in the clutch.

Now the reel feels fine, but when I cast toward the end of the cast the reel slows. I really have to throw to get a decent cast. It's odd though because when I crank or let the bait fall under it's own weight the spool seems fine. Its almost like magnetic brakes are on lock down... I have to set the brake adjustment to 1 to get a decent cast with no resistance. Could I have moved something and put the brakes on overdrive? ;)

Its almost like magnetic brakes are on lock down... I have to set the brake adjustment to 1 to get a decent cast with no resistance. Could I have moved something and put the brakes on overdrive?

That sounds just like a mag dial has lost it's adjustment.

Sounds like it needs a trip to the mfg for service and readjustment (if still under warranty) otherwise contact Mike (DVT)....

Use to run into a lot of Daiwa's that did that very thing every time they were disassembled...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

I think I'll just buy a new reel. This was my cheap reel (it's my bill dance select quantum combo). Id probably have more money in the repair then the reel is worth. I think I can get one for around 30 dollars now.

DVT is what I said true? Ha ha If not I'll be sending this to you ;) its a quantum DS301CX. Quantum told me it's almost identical to the old Tempos. I think it's the 2007 model (pretty sure they made some changes to that model in 2009).

Sounds to me like the reel just need a good cleaning and proper lubing.

Too much oil in the (dirty?) spool bearings can and will slow down the spool. What oil did you use?

Too much oil in the Anti-Reverse Bearing can work it's way onto the drag disks which is also not a good thing.

I have some eagle claw oil and I also bought the grease. It was my intention to do the proper cleaning and greasing. I got the handle and drag star off (and all the washers behind the star) took the clutch adjustment off also. I then unscrewed the screws holding on the side, but it wouldn't pop off so I decided to quit (i didn't know how much force it took so I kept it wimpy haha). I put everything back together, put a tiny tiny drop of oil in the cap of the clutch. I then put a tiny drop of oil on both sides of the spool. It's getting better but still a little off (i keep casting it in the yard ha ha). I should just clean and grease it but I have a big trip planned tomorrow and this is my main rod atm...

After I oil my spool bearings about every month or two, I usually have to "break it in" so to speak before the hyper long casts come back.

I'd recommend cleaning the entire reel. You'll learn about it, make it mint again and use up some spare time (if you have any). It's really not difficult. i had my entire quantum accurist PT apart with no schematics. Well, i had them on my computer, but didnt use them. What i did was once i got inside, i took quadrants of the reel apart. I cleaned the right side first (non handle side for me) and did all that stuff, left the bayonet off and the spool out. Then took the left cover off and went to work. I did all the bearings i could see and put them back, then took the parts out piece by piece and layed them out how they went. i then went backwards cleaning and lubing until i worked my way back up to the top piece (first piece i took off, last to put on). Just need to be systematic. I do it like that for my spinning reels too, one section at a time. If you end up with any extra parts for your parts bin, you can either look at the positive and say you have extra pieces  ;) or look at the negative that you have to take it apart again haha. The handle i had layed out with the cap, then nut, then handle, drag, washers and so on and then grabbed em in order. You can do it! If you can, get better grease & oil and make it worth your while. I wouldn't want to do that everyday...

I'd recommend cleaning the entire reel. You'll learn about it, make it mint again and use up some spare time (if you have any). It's really not difficult. i had my entire quantum accurist PT apart with no schematics. Well, i had them on my computer, but didnt use them. What i did was once i got inside, i took quadrants of the reel apart. I cleaned the right side first (non handle side for me) and did all that stuff, left the bayonet off and the spool out. Then took the left cover off and went to work. I did all the bearings i could see and put them back, then took the parts out piece by piece and layed them out how they went. i then went backwards cleaning and lubing until i worked my way back up to the top piece (first piece i took off, last to put on). Just need to be systematic. I do it like that for my spinning reels too, one section at a time. If you end up with any extra parts for your parts bin, you can either look at the positive and say you have extra pieces ;) or look at the negative that you have to take it apart again haha. The handle i had layed out with the cap, then nut, then handle, drag, washers and so on and then grabbed em in order. You can do it! If you can, get better grease & oil and make it worth your while. I wouldn't want to do that everyday...

Get the Ardent Reel Clean kit, it comes with Reel grease and Oil along with other essentials in a neat box. I got one and its well worth the $20  8-)

Should the side be that hard to get off though? I ran a splitter around the side that I use to get cell phones apart with at work (its just a plastic wedge with a handle). It just wouldn't pop off. I just picture pulling to hard and parts fly all over the place ha ha. Thanks for the tips everyone. After my trip ill dig into this baby. If I can't fix it, I guess I'll need to buy a quantum smoke ;)

Should the side be that hard to get off though? I ran a splitter around the side that I use to get cell phones apart with at work (its just a plastic wedge with a handle). It just wouldn't pop off. I just picture pulling to hard and parts fly all over the place ha ha. Thanks for the tips everyone. After my trip ill dig into this baby. If I can't fix it, I guess I'll need to buy a quantum smoke ;)

Thats the spirit  ;D And I took apart a $25 Quantum and it was a little hard to get off. All you need is to wiggle it up and down slowly to get it off, atleast in my case. Make sure to take it off slowly because sometimes a spring will say bye bye!

Thats the spirit ;D And I took apart a $25 Quantum and it was a little hard to get off. All you need is to wiggle it up and down slowly to get it off, atleast in my case. Make sure to take it off slowly because sometimes a spring will say bye bye

you have no idea how many phones I have taken apart and saw springs and connectors fly all over the place... Sometimes you need them, sometimes they were just extra ;)

If the side doesn't lift off easily, then you probably missed a screw. Most reels have hidden screws. Take the brake side off first, remove the spool. You will probably see a screw on the back side that was hidden by the spool. There also may be a full length screw across the front of the reel that you get to with the brake side off also. Even though you only used a drop of oil, if it was kinda thick and it got on the spool shaft and then in the pinion gear, that could slow it all down. Wipe the shaft off and then peel a little cotton off a Q-tip until it's small enough to slide in the pinion gear. wipe the gear out and put it back together.

A lot of reels have a screw inside the frame, beside the spool that also has to be removed to take off the side plate.  Remove the spool and see if there's a screw head on that side.  If so, that's probably it.

Theres a screw that took me a while to find on my quantum. It's kind of a screw. It's the top rod to the line guide on the reel. It's thin and spans the entire reel, the guide runs along it. It's on the opposite side of the handle.

I have noticed if I really don't clean the bearing out entirely adding oil, slows the spool down during cast. So when doing reel maintenance I go through a 3 step process.

1. Remove bearings from reel. Clean thoroughly with a soft bristle brush and water based degreaser.

2. Soak in acetone overnight or if I am in a rush 2 hours, use "air in a can" to blow out bearing, wipe clean with micro cloth and air dry until completely dry.

3. Oil lightly with a drop of high quality oil, I like Shimano's or Daiwa's factory lube, have tried other lubes like Rocket Fuel and Rem Oil, but didn't notice improved casting performance.

Thanks gents, had a great trip! The reel was very sluggish at the beginning but after about 20 minutes on the water, it opened up again. I'm going to clean it this week and see if I can fix it up ;)

Thanks gents, had a great trip! The reel was very sluggish at the beginning but after about 20 minutes on the water, it opened up again. I'm going to clean it this week and see if I can fix it up ;)

EXCELLENT!   8-)

Me thinks that the oil you used in the bearings may have been a bit thick which initially slowed down the spool. After fishing a while the oil came out of the bearings and freed things up.

that's my wild-azzed guess   ;)

On the quantums...once you remove the three screws from the reel side cover and remove the palm cover, make sure to remove the shaft which runs through the reel frame. You will not be able to remove the gear cover until you remove that shaft. The head of that shaft is a phillips head and will be visible inside the reel frame from the palm cover side.