Sign in to follow this  
Mich. St8 Spartan

Frog Rod reels...

Getting a new set-up for frogs.  After getting some good opinions on frog rod selection in another post, I was wondering what type of reels you suggest for frogs.  Price is not a huge issue but why spend the $$ if you do not need to?  I own some Abu Garcia, Quantum and Bass Pro reels and to tell you the truth, I like them all.  Not a stickler for an specific reels so I am open, just looking for the "best" product.  Thanks for the assistance!

Doesn't matter, as long as its got a reasonable ITP, a metal frame, and a decent drag. My two frog rods have a Zillion SHA and a TD-X.  Both are wearing Carbontex boots.

I have no idea which reel would be best. Just received my first frog rod yesterday. I have an '09 STX that should make a good match, but it is on another rod. I purchased a Cabela's Prodigy on sale. Only LH reels were available. Luckily that is what I prefer! :) It is going on the frog rod.

I've been told that this is a powerful reel, that does an excellent job of casting anything 3/8 oz. and over. Reel is based on the Daiwa Advantage. Supposedly not as refined as the Daiwa, but equal in other aspects. Definitely not a flashy reel if that matters to you.

I use the Pro Qualifier for froggin.

That thing is a work horse.

STX.  Great drag, same line capacity as other reels.

I really value a strong drag when fishing frogs in slop.

Curado e7

Same here although I wish the drag was better. I have a Winch too but that seems too slow for froggin'.

Oh and with the BPS Pro Qual on sale that would be a solid value.