Sign in to follow this  
IntroC

Line recommendation question

Was curious what you fellas use for line when casting cranks? What pound test? Braid, mono, or flouro? Will be mainly fishing medium & deep diving cranks and rattle traps(both 1/2 & 3/4oz) with this setup. The lake I will be fishing has about 1 to 2 ft visibility, a rock, mud and shale bottom. And there are no weeds growing along the bottom to foul your lure. Thanks a ton fellers.

I personally use 8lb, 10lb, and 15lb fluoro depending on cover, depth I want my bait to run and water clarity. For rattlin baits I use 15lb. All of the above are fished on 100% Fluorocarbon by Trilene. When I fish the California Delta there are times I will use Berkley Big Game in 15lb test.

12lb fluoro or 10-12lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

Stay away from mono because it floats... I fish floro in 12# for mine.   If I wanna get them "reel" deep I will got as light as 8#.

I use 10lb CXX and 10-12lb Floro-clear.  I fish mainly near a bridge with alot of rock around so the CXX really helps out with snags and it can take some abuse

Stay away from mono because it floats... I fish floro in 12# for mine. If I wanna get them "reel" deep I will got as light as 8#.

Mono does not float. It simply does not sink at the rate of fluorocarbon. I throw some top water with mono and can tell you it does sink.

I have several bulk spools of Mustad Ultra line in 6-20lb test. I've been really impressed by the abrasion resistance, castability, and overall handling of the line. I don't like it as well for spinning reels as casting but it still fishes really nice of spinning reels. I pulled a 42lb flathead out from under a submerged bridge fishing for wipers last winter with 14lb test. Water was in the high 50s so the fight wasn't all it would have normally been but she still pulled me under the bridge and stuck for a moment before i got her moving out from under it again. That was really impressive to see and experience. It's become my line of choice for cranks, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, lipless baits, and topwaters.

I throw similar baits and use 12 # floro.

T

For standard cranks I have been using 100% Fluorocarbon from 8# to 12#. Invisx didn't work great for me... I'm gonna try XPS & Tatsu next season.

For fast moving spinners, traps and top water I always use 30 - 50 pound braid. Samurai is an incredible line.