Sign in to follow this  
Paul Naj

My best day this year...

... for size not quantity. Although I landed only 4 fish they weighed 2lb 10oz, 3lb 10oz, 4lb 14oz and 5lb 4oz. I also lost one bigger than the smallest one I caught.

I was going to try and get out on the Upper Potomac again today for some smallmouth action but I couldn't find anyone to go so I decided to chase some LMB and try to exercise my demons of not being able to catch fish in deep water. With a little coaching from Brian (Plan B on the Pacemaker site), I set out with a game plan.

In trying to find one of the pieces of structure we discussed I ran across a nice secondary point to the north of my original target. I started marking the point with the intention of leaving it to find my original target and coming back to this one later. Before I could leave the area I started marking bait and some awesome structure with fish on it so I decided to fish it. On my second cast I hooked up with a decent fish but lost it at the boat when it jumped. My guess was that it was just over 3#. I stayed in the area and had a slow pick but was happy to stay for the quality fish. After my 3rd fish, the 5lb 4oz, I tried a bunch of other areas and did nothing. I made one more pass at this point and got the 4lb, 14oz fish.

I spent about another hour or so finding some interesting structure but only had 2 more hits and no hook ups. Mental notes were made for the future and I was back in by noon.

Thanks for your help Brian! And thanks for not being able to fish today Andrew. ;-)

2lb10oz.jpg

3lb10oz.jpg

4lb14oz.jpg5lb4oz.jpg

LOL, YOU JERK! I'm glad you're taking advantage of me not being able to make it out  :'(.

Very nice set of bass. I'll talk to you about getting together next week. I need some tips in fishing deep water too, but I guess that will be for another outting. Great job out there!

On a side note, I thought Plan B moved? Did he just give you tips or was he fishing too?

Wow!

Nice fish, great day!

8-)

Super outstanding.

Keep it up and sending us those pics.  :)

Thanks guys. Not only was it fun but it was personally satisfyng to be able to catch that quality of fish with a method that I have historically been weak on.

Andrew, sorry that shot was too juicy to pass up. :-) Yes, Plan B moved a short time ago but he was kind enough to spend some time on the phone with me last night. Even though I didn't catch on the exact spots we discussed it really helped my confidence going in and I knew what to look for.

Paul man, those are some chunks buddy.  Good job out there.  Next time my dad and I go out to either the Occoquan or Potomac River I want to spend some time working on my deep game because I am pretty horrible at it and I know if you can find those summer haunts on the right structure and so forth you can find the quality size fish.

I am definately jealous man.  I got a few 3 lb chunks as of late and some 2+ smallies... but nothin' NEAR that big.  Keep learning that spot man, soon you're gonna be the go to guy for knowledge at that place (if you aren't already)  ;)

Great job Paul!

Amazing fish!! I need to go out and learn the deep structure too, I'm pretty weak there also, but the new kayak should help.  Once again, awesome fish!

I think Paul's already a pro at that place!  ;) I don't remember the last time I've heard/seen him fish there and not pull out atleast a 4lber.

Those fish are beautiful, especially compared to that nasty one eyed smallie you caught. Almost threw up my lunch looking at that thing. :o

Paul, I'll have you know I'm having an awesome day at work. ::) ok fine, not really. >:(

i love how his smiles get bigger in each pic...  great job paul... send me an email and let me know some more details as i'm interested in where those fish came from

Great fish. I was this close to heading down there today to throw some swimbaits, but I was just to tired. Congrats man.

Wow -- nice fish! Congrats! I recognize the location and I've always struggled there in the deep water. What depths were you catching at?

Wow -- nice fish! Congrats! I recognize the location and I've always struggled there in the deep water. What depths were you catching at?

The fish were on a secondary point in 15 to 20 feet of water.

It looks like I may get another shot out there next week if my schedule stays clear. I can't wait to see if this past week was a fluke or if I can reproduce the pattern. If I can even come close to that success I may need to take a few days off. :-)

The fish were on a secondary point in 15 to 20 feet of water.

It looks like I may get another shot out there next week if my schedule stays clear. I can't wait to see if this past week was a fluke or if I can reproduce the pattern. If I can even come close to that success I may need to take a few days off. :-)

haha -- yeah, no kidding! I hit that place one day when the fish were going nuts and I wanted to stay there for a week! Problem is, you can go back 2 days later and there's not a fish in sight...

How do you fish the deep water? and what kind of baits do you use?

The lake I was on today is spring fed and 30+ in the middle, I've always been curious if there was anything in that hole, just not sure how or what to fish it with.  Great fish btw.

beautiful fish!

sorry to be off topic but i wanted to ask about the kayak. is that an ultimate? how do you like it?

im working overseas and ill be moving back to the arlington area next spring and plan on buying a kayak. was looking at either the ultimate or the manta ray. ill probably hit you guys up to see if i can tag along sometime.

reading posts like this sure make me homesick :)

BF,

It is a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. I love the boat. It's easy to get on and off my roof, fishes nicely, I can easily stand in it and get a great vantage point to structure and it has great mojo. :-)

Paul

Keep the heritage redfish 12 in mind too!!  We should start a thread with pictures of fishing kayaks~!  I got a depthfinder/ff, 3 scotty rod holders, 2 flush mounts.. so far.. hehehe.. but seriously.. the wife has just about had it...  and i've only had this thing for 3wks!  hahhahaa..  Between rigging up this yak and getting new freshwater lures etc...  it's a wee bit expensive...  8-) :o