Sign in to follow this  
Bass XL

winter lures

I am making a trip to bass pro tommorow, and I am wondering what lure I should get that will catch bass in cold water? 40-50 degree's. Thanks for all your help.

Craig

Guest Texas_Bass_Pro

I had made a post about lipless crankbaits here recently and from the responses there they should work well in that temp. range.

So I  would vote lipless crankbaits, jigs, and maybe some soft plastic baits.

There are generally 6 different types of lures that I will generally use when the water gets cold.

1) Jigs - By far one of the best winter producers. Refer to Ain't Texan' and GMAN's jig threads for techniques.

2) Lipless Cranks - Great winter time search bait. Use it to find the fish. I would recommend Yo-Zuri Hardcore Drums, SPRO Aruka Shad, or Rat-L-Traps. Once you locate the fish use a slower presentation to pick apart the area until you hit the motherload. Colors that work well in the winter time are shades of red, red/brown, orange...crawfish colors essentially. These baits also do well when trying to illicit a reation strike from lethargic fish

3) Hard Jerkbaits - Another great winter bait. I recommend suspending jerkbaits. Lucky Craft Pointers, sizes 78, 100, or 128 will top many peoples list for best jerkbaits. Rapala X-Raps are also excellent, less expensive options. Any size of those are also excellent fish catchers. Fish jerkbaits with slow jerk, jerk, long pause, quick jerk, jerk, jerk, long pause. I get the majority of my strikes on that quick jerk as soon as I move the bait. Another efective wintertime technique if you know there are fish in the spot you are fishing is deadsticking the jerkbait.

4)Tubes - Tubes are another great winter time bait. Again stick with more natural craw lookin' colors. I like to fish them on an inserted jig head and fish them by dragging them along the bottom and over and around structure very very slowly. Very small hops can alos be used here. Use smaller weighted jigheads to slow down decent to the bottom, but use enough weight to keep good contact with the bait. Be sure to refer to bassleo's thread on tubes for more techniques.

5) Jigging Spoons - This is by far one of my least favorite lures and techniques to use. However in the winter time it can be very effective if you know what depth fish are holding at. Simply count down the bait to the depth the fish ar holding at and jig it back to you as slowly as you can taking care to try to keep it as close to the target depthas possible. Spoons can also be used vertically in the same fashion. This bait and any technique used with it is my absolute last resort though.

6) Senkos - Senkos are one of the greatest year round producers and still produce well in the winter time. I normally fish the 5" senkos. If the fish are being finicky and don't wanna bite, I will go down to the 4" size and try to finesse 'em into biting. If I am fishing for hawgs, I will go for the 6" size...you don't catch many fish on this size, but when you do they are normally quality fish. I always fish these weightless, on Gamakatsu 3/0 Wide Gap hooks for the 4", 4/0 for the 5", and 5/0 for the 6". If I want to slow down the fall speed then I will use one size smaller hook on each size senko respectively. Fishing these in the wintertime will make you redefine the meaning of slow. I normally cast them out and let them sink on semi slack line. when they hit bottom I will slighty tighten up the line then deadstick it for as long as I can stand it. Then I will lift it off the bottom and let it sink again and repeat the whole process. If you are fishng an area that isn't horrifiyingly snaggy, then wacky rigged senkos could be a good bet. I use a Gamakatsu 1/0 Finesse hook for this application.

Those are all pretty good winter baits and what I would focus on getting on you BPS trip.

Black hair jig--1/4 oz with a 101 Uncle Josh pork frog in black,dark green or blue.

Tube---insert 1/8-1/4 jig head, Slooooooow drag or 2" hops at a time. Dark Melon/Purple Flake, Green Pumpkin/Red Flake, Black Neon, Smoke/Purple Flake.

Silver Buddies.

5" grub slowly dragged along the bottom or following the contours along creek channels. Bluegill,Green Pumpkin, Brown/Purple Flake, Smoke/ Blue Flake.

Well this has been getting nice fish for me (bigger than i have ever caught in 40degree water) A terminator 1/8th oz. jig, and a yum crawtube for a trailer. The tube really slows the fall, and adds bulk. The hollow body floats and the claws rise on the bottom.

Wow, im surprised that somebody got to these besides me, but an absoloute killer (and i mean killer) cold water bait would be silver buddies.

Silver Buddies and Cicadas are awesome baits here in Maryland in the winter ( 38-42 ) as well as early pre-spawn when they are first moving up the deep creek channels and are at the end of the deeper points or when they are suspending along those steep 45 degree bluffs. I have yo-yoed them, as well as, just let them hit bottom on a vertical fall and snapped my rod in a spoon jigging fashion. I have had good days on both brown and green bass with these baits.

My goto lures in that temp range are jigging spoons (Kastmaster 1/4 oz), silver buddys, and suspending jerkbaits.

With respect to yo-yoing bladebaits in coldwater (NJ, NY), my vote goes to Cicada

Roger

6" Senko

In water that cold, I like Norman Deep Little N's, Lucky Craft LV500max's,  5/8oz white Zorro short arm spinnerbaits, Pointer 78's or 78DD's, and football jigs.  

well I went, and I didnt get too much, but heres what i got:

-Rattle traps (many dif. colors)

-swim senko (by gosh they were hard to find)

-gycb kreature

-stand out hooks (gonna learn how to drop shot this year)

-drop shot worms

-drop shot wieghts

-Finnesse jigs (black/blue)

-crawdad trailor

-FISHING LISENCE (dont no how to spell that)

Thanks for all the reply's,

Craig

Sounds like you made out pretty well. Good luck.

And its LICENSE.   ;)

Wayne

I would use a jig and pig around dropoffs.

Use t-rigs in deep water in cover.

Slow role spinnerbait and off points.

Bounce a rattle trap off the bottom. (works fantastic)

Swin worm over grass.