Sign in to follow this  
tyrius.

Handpoured vs. "Regular" plastics

So, what's the real difference between the two?  When I'm looking at aisles of plastic baits in BPS what is the real difference between handpoured versus all of the other ones?

Thanks!!

hand poured are typically softer.  A hand pourer can match just about anything and can make a bait any way they want too.

I prefer injection molded and as far as I know no one but Gene Larew does it  :)

I prefer injection molded and as far as I know no one but Gene Larew does it :)

LOL,

Have you ever fished a true hand pour?

I prefer injection molded and as far as I know no one but Gene Larew does it :)

LOL,

Have you ever fished a true hand pour?

Yelp but don't know any that are injection molded  :)

handpours are great!  The pourer can make any bait in any color they want!  I love handpouring my own baits when I have the time, but I only seem to be able to have enough time on my hands in the winter.

That's a good question Brain maybe some of our sponsors could answer or maybe some of our guys who make plastic baits.  

Catt- What's the difference between the way GL injects them and how the other factories inject them.  

Educate a brother here please :)

Bass Pro does carry ,,,,

a hand pour by ...Poor Boys ( lure Craft )

not sure if they have any more hand pours,,

I believe I mite have seen a couple others ??

--------------------

this thread has some good info,,

I pour my own..

and the hand pours are awsome..

but I also have caught many fish on injected baits...

color and presintation are just as important as ,,

how they are made ..

Catt- What's the difference between the way GL injects them and how the other factories inject them.

Educate a brother here please :)

If I understood him right Catt was refering to thats the only bait he fishes for the most part.

Hand pours are typically flat on one side.  Some companies are coming out with handpours.  But from what I can tell almost all big manufactures are injected.  Its alot faster and you can make swirls/lam alot eaisier..  

All of the major companies are injected.  This is why they can offer their stuff at a lower price.  They can probably inject 1000 baits by the time a hand pour guy can do 50 pours.  They also are able to get core shot baits and the swirl effects that you see in some products.  Us hand pour guys can do this to a certain extent, but it is very time consuming and not very cost efficient.  I fish my hand pours probably 90% of the time. Mainly because I like my stuff super soft and I can make color combinations not available anywhere else.  About the only bait I fish that I don't make is the Yamamoto Hula grub.   It is a pain in the butt to make this bait so I buy it so I don't have the hassle.  Both style of baits are great in their own ways.  Some injected baits are hard as a rock, but a lot of them out now are almost as soft as a handpour.    

I like the fact that hand pours can duplicate colors no longer available but I don't like the flat side to me it kills a lot of the action.

There are 2 reasons I like Gene Larew, first is they are salt impregnated and secondly I love ring worms. I believe ring worm offer a larger profile yet there is less plastic for the hook to penetrate. I wish I knew someone who does custom injected ring worms because Gene Larew stopped making one of my most productive night colors. It was 7 ½ black neon with a clear tail that was filled with silver glitter; that dude was killer for both quality and quantity. I've won no less that a dozen night tournaments with that color and countless hawgs.  

BRENT!!! WHERE ARE YOU!? ;D

He was the reason for my question.  I didn't know why the * was designated as a handpour and what that actually meant.  It doesn't appear to have the typical flat side.

you are correct,, it does not have a flat side.. A lot of the hand poured baits are now hand poured into 2 pc. Aluminum molds,, just like the injected,,the * are hand poured into these 2 pc. alum. molds..

------

1st off,,

the * will be a bit softer than Brents other baits,,

2nd ,,,, the salt content may be a little higher..

(but Brents *** do have salt added),,

3rd.. the scent is mixed rite in the plastic on these.. most injected baits have scent on the out side only..

the skirts are heat sealed to the body by hand 1 at a time..Some companies glue the skirts on..The heat seal holds much better...

I hope this answers your questions for the most part,,,

Brent will be on shortly,, I think ? ::)

he usually is !!! :)

not sure what he mite be up to,,????? I see this bait has his mind deep in the gutter !!! :)

Catt has a very good point about less plastic for the hook to penitrate...

Now with these *.. Make sure you use a very large hook, EWG,, 4/0..5/0.... I would use the  5/0 if its not to long. The Gamakatsu hooks I have,, 5/0,, fit the Waynes just perfect.. Feed the hook through at either end just a 1/4 " down the bait or less,, then feed it back through the other end way at the bottom where the bait narrows..This narrow part of the bait allows the hook gap to open up  farther when you get a hit,,The bait is fat in the center and takes up a lot of the hooks gap.. so keep it to the end of these baits where its narrow..

Now having these softer also helps the bait to sqwish when you set the hook that helps open up the gap too,,

Now thats where the softness of the hand pours comes in handy..

Hey Bass_Boys,

I'm glad you and Brent hooked up, I think the guys will like the new bait.

8-)

Generally speaking I try to use handpoured worms and lizards in all sizes for all of their applications. The only injected baits that I use are creatures and some swimbaits.

I prefer handpours for their colors and softness. Well at least softness for finesse techniques. But my guy that does my giant night baits pours them for me just a little firmer than a power worm (which are pretty tough in their own right). Not all injection baits are cheap either, I have some 8"ers that are $35.00 haha.

Not sure how many sticks I could make in 4 hours,, ???

I like Brents Sticks ,,  :).

I can get lams.. swirls  & tails  much easier,,,

but it would take me 200--250 hours to make 10,000

Fat IK@$%^,, Type baits..  :)  :'(

Also some bigger companies at least berkley do have some hand poured baits to. I bought a couple of them and they are very soft and had good action. Not sure if they were actually hand poured or if they were just softer and they called them handpoured ? :-?

Well,, thanks RW..

:)

You guys got it goin' on!

8-)

Master of the hand pours: Paul Higgins, Worminator!

Master of the hand pours: Paul Higgins, Worminator!

Hey George, do you know what happened to Worminator?  I tried to go to their website the other day and it's not there anymore.  Do you have a phone number that I could contact them directly?