Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Kingsnake versus Copperhead

Pretty cool series of pictures.

Kingsnake vs. Copperhead

Looks like it is a couple feet long.  

Micro, what is the best way to tell Virginia's venomous from non-venomous snakes? I see snakes a lot but I never know what kind they are and I figure it could come in handy to know the difference.

There are only three venomous snakes in Virginia (Copperhead, Timber Rattlesnake, Cottonmouth), and only two in your area (Copperhead, Timber Rattlesnake).  

There is no mistaking the rattler.  But it can be found in several color phases in Virginia - from orange/yellow to black.  The copperhead looks like the copperhead in that picture.

Here is a snake ID guide.  

http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/virginia_snake_identification.htm

Alright, well I think I saw either an Northern Watersnake or a Copperhead the other day, I'm not sure because I don't really remember what I saw well, and it was in the water.

that is a cool series of pics.

So from the snake identification guide, I need to get close enough to look in it's eye and see where it's nose is pointed to find out if it is poisonous or hamless -- I THINK NOT!!!

I can appreciate that snakes are cool -  but I don't like them anywhere near me :o

Micro,

Thanks for sharing those amazing pics.  I'm assuming that the Kingsnake is immune to the Copperhead's venom?

-Fisher

Micro,

Thanks for sharing those amazing pics. I'm assuming that the Kingsnake is immune to the Copperhead's venom?

-Fisher

Yes.  And also cottonmouth and rattlesanke venom.  Not so much coral snake venom.  

There are only three venomous snakes in Virginia (Copperhead, Timber Rattlesnake, Cottonmouth), and only two in your area (Copperhead, Timber Rattlesnake).

There is no mistaking the rattler. But it can be found in several color phases in Virginia - from orange/yellow to black. The copperhead looks like the copperhead in that picture.

Here is a snake ID guide.

http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/virginia_snake_identification.htm

Thats the nice thing about MN. No venomous snakes, because they cant live through the winter.

Awesome pics Micro. Our bass resource snake guru! Haha. I did not expect the kingsnake to pull that off until I saw the sheer size advantage. I was also unaware it was immune to those venoms. Kinda cool.wonder how often fights between snakes like this happen in the wild.  I guess if they are hungry enough and are provoked enough they can turn it into a boxing match.

Have you ever seen the pure black mexican kingsnakes that are on the snake market? I have seen some pretty cool ones for sale that people on my snake forum breed and they look stunning. I am debating whether to hold off on my cornsnake breeding project or gun for one of those.

That is definately an awesome link dude. Thanks for sharing!