Sign in to follow this  
tallydude

Caught this oscar today

I caught this fish about and hour and a half after I caught my personal best today. It's not the biggest one I've ever caught, but I took some pics anyway. The weirdest thing was that she hit a big spinnerbait (see pics).

meandmyoscar.jpg

myoscar.jpg

Good fish...a spinnerbait?  That's odd!  Several people I know have oscars as pet fish in their aquariums, but I don't really know of any fish that are wild.

Dude, they are EVERYWHERE down here. At first I didn't like them, but that was before I caught one. They put up a fantastic fight (similar to a bluegill, only bigger and stronger). I've never eaten one, but I understand they're delicious.

Very Interesting!

Though I've heard about the oscars in Florida, I've never caught one.

They look a lot like tilapia, but you'd never get a tilapia to strike a spinnerbait.

That's really kool 8-)

Roger

that dont look like an oscar. i have an oscar and a Jack dempsey in my aquarium and my oscar looks black with red

cool non the less

Its different in an aquarium. The fish is always getting all that light. It promotes the best colors and most fish flakes have vitamins and what not to enhance color.

Very nice fish man!!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not an oscar.

Though I've heard about the oscars in Florida, I've never caught one.

They look a lot like tilapia, but you'd never get a tilapia to strike a spinnerbait.

Thats what I was thinking, hmmmm.

There are lots of cichlids out there but Oscars are not native.  These are fish released by people who didn't want them as pets and just don't know any better than to introduce a new specie to their water.

Scott000-  That's an Oscar but you are thinking of the "red tiger oscar" like mine.  That is only 1 of the many different types though.

thats pretty cool, i had an expeiriance like that once with spinnerbaits. i went to kansas to visit my family and my cousin brought me to this friend of the familys farm. it had 3 ponds. the first we hit had catfish then the second had a little boat still only the size of a baseball field but we had a blast. we had large sunnys slamming 3/8oz spinnerbiats left and right probably cought about 30 of them. never had anything like this before in my life. the sunnys were a little weird tho same colorings pretty much but they had larger mouths sorta like a cross from a sunny and a bass's mouth but with the sunnys body. i cought them here in nj but never like this and never on a a spinnerbait. anyway it was really cool. the 3rd pond had bass but we couldnt realy get to it. i got 1 small one but if i knew what i knew  now i would did what i had to get out there probably lunkers in it.

Evolution is one thing...Filleting is another, this is a situation that demands filleting! ;D Evolution is a situation that I am not equipped to deal with.

Let's cut 'em up and eat 'em.! The rest can swim.

There are lots of cichlids out there but Oscars are not native. These are fish released by people who didn't want them as pets and just don't know any better than to introduce a new specie to their water.

Scott000- That's an Oscar but you are thinking of the "red tiger oscar" like mine. That is only 1 of the many different types though.

AH HA!

I knew you must keep fish, from what you had said about keeping a LM bass as a pet.

you got me. im a cichlid freak and a bass fisher

flag cichlids look a like that but so do all cichlids

Do you keep South American, or African?

That is a species of Tilipia, and yes they do hit lures sometimes. I have caught a few using

beetle spins. Oscar's are in the same family.

Scott

I had caught one much larger than that one a few weeks earlier. I didn't have my digital camera with me so I used my backup disposable camera. I'm getting it developed next week so you'll see how big they can get.