Sign in to follow this  
Cephkiller

Tiger Muskies are Tenacious!

I was bass fishing today with a 4" shaky head and hooked up with a 36" tiger.  Boy, was I surprised!  What in the heck was a muskie doing biting on that bait    This thing ran me all around the boat twice, wrapped around a couple trees, stripping drag and diving like a bat out of H-E-double hockey sticks.  I fought the beast for 3-5 minutes and got it up to the net.  It thrashed around and swam away  :(  When it did, it coughed up a shredded 8" rock bass that was attached to my shaky head.  The muskie was never even hooked!  I can't believe it fought that long and hard and refused to give up its lunch.  WOW!

i cought one the same size...on a 10" walleye.....at one point he totally let go then came back and hit it again...buy the time i landed it my 1/8 oz jighead was actually stuck in the muskies lip..cant believe it didnt cut my line...was using 6lb XL on a light setup.....bad pic but here it is

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8403/muskiekm4.jpg

That's a great story. I have never caught a Muskie, but it sure sounds like fun!

It happens here on St. Clair all the time. I always hear people say there is nothing more heart-stopping than a top water strike. That's because they haven't had a muskie grab a bass or walleye as you're about to put a landing net under it. They will grab the fish and thrash on the surface, you'd think you were watching a scene from "Jaws"......................then you go home and clean yourself up.

Falcon

Great story.

I have just recently taken up Musky fishing.

It is getting a bit late in the summer to start, but I figure we will have a nice collection of baits, rods, reels and what for fall.

Now to keep to thread...

As a young boy I remember a trip to Minn. on which my uncle fought a huge Musky for several minutes, only to get him within fet of the boat and see him open his mouth to release the 10' lure of which NONE of the hooks were set. That fish fought like the blazes and was never hooked. :o

Great story Ceph!

You're a better man than I am fightin that fish as long as you did on 6lb test!

Best I've ever done with a tiger (on a lake) was a 33" I landed several years ago on a Risto Rap on 10lb test. Talk about a test tryin to keep up with that fish using a 4.3:1 gear ratio reel! If I'm targetting muskies, I prefer to fish for them in a river. Much better fight in my opinion.

I think Ceph got the better fight and memory Basser...

I've been in that same situation before and was able to land it, but the fun is always the fight.. Yea, once you get it in thats a good memory as well but if you didn't that memory of fightin' a beasty of unknown size and weight, stripping line and slicing thru the water and getting airborn will stay with you longer than just holding it up after "towtrucking" it in... It's the tough battles that stay with us the longest..

Just my 2 cents...

Congrats again Ceph !!

What was the best part of the fight for you btw ??

I think Ceph got the better fight and memory Basser...

I've been in that same situation before and was able to land it, but the fun is always the fight.. Yea, once you get it in thats a good memory as well but if you didn't that memory of fightin' a beasty of unknown size and weight, stripping line and slicing thru the water and getting airborn will stay with you longer than just holding it up after "towtrucking" it in... It's the tough battles that stay with us the longest..

Just my 2 cents...

Congrats again Ceph !!

What was the best part of the fight for you btw ??

First of all, I think you're right.  If I had landed the fish I might not have known it wasn't hooked and I probably would have never posted about it.

The best part of this fight and most others for me is the final surge when it sees the boat.  The drag stripping speed is awesome!

Ceph, I know that was fun! Sad that he got away.

My buddy and I had the same thing happen to us while bass fishing. He hooked into a 14" walleye and brought it next to the boat to scoop it out of the water, then a huge muskie surged up and stole the walleye right next to the boat! Had my buddy been going for the walleye a second later, his hand would've been toast. We estimated the muskie to be around 50". He fought him for 6-8 minutes, we didn't have a net, unfortunately. Then, the muskie just let the walleye go. Poor walleye, he was a mangled mess and still alive... somewhat...

Hey Ceph,

Great musky battle you don't see that every day. Being the ultralite guru you are true to your roots Tuxdad. I would have to add my two sense and say that when it comes to a 40lb plus Gnarly river muskie I want success. Basser89 on the other hand noodles them but I prefer heavy gear and to beat them into submission quick.    8-)

Hey Ceph,

Great musky battle you don't see that every day. Being the ultralite guru you are true to your roots Tuxdad. I would have to add my two sense and say that when it comes to a 40lb plus Gnarly river muskie I want success. Basser89 on the other hand noodles them but I prefer heavy gear and to beat them into submission quick. 8-)

Only my fishing partner would come up with that line!!!!! LOL

I have only caught a few very small tigers in my youth.  However, I learned early on to use a fish basket while pan fishing rather than a stringer.....pulled up several fishheads.