Sign in to follow this  
basser89

Monkey off my back on the upper Potomac today!

No, not the Bait Monkey.  ;D  MskSlyr and I hit the upper Potomac this morning. Thankfully, it wasn't as cold as it was supposed be! We hit an area that holds smallies, walleye and an occasional musky. Water temps were right around 46-47 so I was expecting a slow day. We were out about two hours or so with no even a sign of a fish and I started throwing a jerkbait for smallies. I was working it rather slow (as the temps suggested) when on a pause the line went tight and the fight was on! Wasn't a smallie, nope, not a walleye either. I was surprised to see a musky on the end of my line! Not a big one, but a musky none the less. Thanks to MskSlyr for the heads up skills with the net!!!! Not sure if I would have landed it by myself on spinning tackle (or at least not as quickly as we did)! Here's a pic.

Potomac_musky_11_17a.jpg

I loaded it from my fishing pictures.com. Let's see what happens this way..........

post-161-130162970476_thumb.jpg

Hey Basser89, I noticed on your post you listed your location as Washington County, MD. Where is that at? I lived in Frederick for a couple of years when I was teenager in the late 80's.

Hey Big T,

Washington county is the county just west of Frederick county. I'm outside of Hagerstown.

Thanks T-rig! It's been a tough year for me so this helped make the year a little better.

Haha i hate that i keep asking you about all you spots but where did you launch from? And idk if you would know this or not but do you know what the water levels are like at cunningham falls? :)

The best I can give you on my musky spots is in Washington county. I have a deal with a friend of mine when it comes to the musky areas we have. Largemouth and smallies, I can help you when I can but I just can't with the muskies. Sorry.

I wish I could help you on Cunningham Falls. Sadly, I haven't been there this year at all. :'( I believe someone on the NE boards had said they have already drawn the lake WAY down for the winter.

man thats a shame cunningham falls has some quality fish in there havent been there in about 3 months though. Idk if you saw but i cuaght a 2 1/2 pound smallmouth out of down near pepco so that seems to be picking up a little.

That's a decent smallie Boett. When did you catch it?

Thanks LBH!

it was about an mile down from the water discharge area there is a really big log i was fishing off of got him on a kanami flash stick bait texas rigged

my fault basser i thought you said where ..i caught him last saturday

That makes sense Boett. The levels were on the rise saturday. I think that's why you had luck there. They're starting to drop again. If they go back down, I wouldn't bother going back til they come up.

Thanks Angler! I was fishing in about 5' when it hit.

That must have made the trip worth it!

mayassa, it definitely warmed me up some on that COLD day! The fight was over extremely quick (especially since it was on bass gear)! Props to my net man (MuskSlyr)! If the fight lasted a minute, it was lucky! He barely had the net out and that musky was at the boat!

Thanks rondef!

Nice fish!

8-)