Sign in to follow this  
paul.

small tackle, big fish

we've had a bad cold front through here the past few days.  i got to go a little while today and i figured the tough conditions would be just right for the little ultralight bream buster.  got lucky and caught this nice 6-14 on a small live bluegill.  it's funny 'cause i didn't figure it was all that big at first. initially, it didn't put up much of a fuss, but i figure that's just b/c she didn't know she was hooked yet.  she sure came alive once she figured out what was going on though.  it was just an absolute blast on the ul rig with 6 lb. test.  made the drag on the little reel beg for mercy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  i just love using the small stuff every once in a while. :)

Nice fish! 8-) Is the spawn already over in your area? Looks like she's spawned out.

Another nice fish!

8-)

great job!  Using the light stuff can be a blast.

i thought the fish mighta been spawned out at first too, but upon closer examination, it looked like she hadn't spawned at all.  her tail wasn't tore up and her underside wasn't red from fanning so i think she was just a skinny fish.  probably explains why she bit on such a crappy day, b/c she was hungry.  there was a small wave of spawners last week but rain and cold weather rolled in and shut it down pretty quick.  i don't think the majority of fish have spawned around here yet.

with regard to the setup, it's an ultralight shimano reel i've had for years on a 5'0 ul rod.  whenever i use little bluegills for bait on this, i always use a super sharp gamakatsu treble - size 4 yesterday i think

the hook is so sharp it usually sets itself with minimum pressure.  i do crank down on the fish and pull back, but CAREFULLY.  you cannot go trying to jerk their heads off with this setup.  easy does it.

How long did it take to land?

when you are fighting a fish (especially on ul equip.) it's kinda hard to gauge time.  i'd say 3 minutes maybe.  

Fat head

Uh fish that is

I've seen Bobby Murray catch some hawgs on Toledo Bend with light line  ;)