Sign in to follow this  
kms399

what would you have done differently

we had a t storm last night and had partly cloudy turning clear blue sky today. the temp was 78 degrees with a 6-10 mph wind. the water temp was 69 degrees the lake is fairly shallow with the deepest spot being 33 feet and it is a decent sized lake. I launched the boat at 5:00 AM. I started by throwing topwater zara puppies and a few other walk the dog type lures and had a few strikes no hookups. I then moved to a part of the lake where I usually do pretty decent. I started there by fishing in about 6 feet of water where the weeds come up to about 2 feet shy of the surface and I was throwing a baby 1 in blue and yellow, I then switched to a storm sub-wart which got me a few smaller bass. after about an hour working this area i moved up and fished frogs in the lilly pads for another half hour or so. with zero luck, by now the time is about 7:00 and I grabbed my senko and started skipping docks and throwing the subwart in good looking spots I had marginal success there. I fished in this manner until about 10:00 when I switched to a rapala dt 3 which was running a bit deep I thought and I was casting to the top of the weeds and working off the drop off down to about 8 feet with a sand bottom so we had a weed to sand transition. and periodically I would toss out a texas rigged worm with a large split shot 2 feet up the line and try to work it off the drop off.

I got off the lake at 11:00 this morning and I caught roughly 20 fish the biggest being 3lbs 13oz caught on the sub wart next to a dock.

I am curious what others would have done differently. this lake has a decent bass population and most people fish walleye on this lake. the lake has a few steeper drop offs down to about 18 feet from maybe 5 I haven't found any rock piles or brush piles. there is one hump from 10 to 5 feet and it is all sand there is another hump from 25 feet up to 12 feet I have not fished that yet. the rest of the lake is pretty much flat and most of the shore line is docks with pads and milfoil between them.

I hope that is enough information to give people an idea of the lake maybe offer some advice, sorry it is such a long post.

thanks in advance

Ken

What would I have done differently?  Well, unfortunately I probably wouldn't have caught 20 bass, and I probably wouldn't have caught a 3-13.  Sounds to me like you did a pretty good job of figuring them out and catching some nice bass.  Good job.

Sounds like things went well.

When your crankbait bite dies and you think there are still fish in the area, try a hard or soft jerkbait.  I think they're a solid choice for fishing over emergent grasses.  They're just too versatile not to throw after an aggressive bite fades.  Start with small twitches and longer pauses and work your way to a more aggressive approach.  A spinnerbait ticking the tops of the weeds would be another lure I would try before moving in shallow.  After those, throw your slow down game.  I've been really working on changing up lures and presentations when I find fish with a crankbait and the bite dies, instead of moving to my next "spot", so far so good.

Also keep an eye for a second wave of spawning/cruising bass.  They don't all spawn at once etc.

It sounds like there is ample shade, oxygen, and food in the shallows and a lot of the bass population probably doesn't go far.  Especially if there is competition with walleye in deeper waters.  I'm assuming this is a clear lake somewhere north?  You could target your key dock/pad/transition areas sooner and places that fish holding there might prowl earlier in the day when they might be more active.

If you're interested in bigger fish, lose the zara puppy and try and jr. or super.  Fish the frog more, skip with larger plastics, pitch and flip jigs or creatures into pockets/irregularities/the likely places.  Make longer casts.

As said, you seem good on the numbers.  

I got off the lake at 11:00 this morning and I caught roughly 20 fish the biggest being 3lbs 13oz caught on the sub wart next to a dock.

I would have changed clothes after a nice hot shower knowing I had a pretty good day on the water. ;)

I would have to agree with "Cory N" Spinnerbaits on top of submerged grass!!!! They will slam it hard if the bite is slow, try jerkbaits too!!! I fish the tidal water of the Potomac and when the tide is in and the bite is slow with a senko or a finesse worm I always put on a spinnerbait or a good flashy jerkbait. Make sure you let the spinnerbait smack the grass. Yea you will bring some grass in sometimes but it will be well worth it!

With the deep bite Try a t-rigged senko they are a very versitile bait!!

Another bait to try is a curl tail type worm about 10-12" and make sure you "match the hatch" BIG BAIT BIG FISH..... Some people may disagree with that but Im am hell bent on that saying because it always seems to work for me.

Another thing that I would have done differently is don't leave the lake so early. I fished a tournament on Sat and I only had 2 fish in the live well by 11:00am. The rest of the fish came about 12-1:30pm on topwater over top of submerged grass.

As for your topwater bite dont always use a frog!! Try the new strike king rage shad!! They are a terrific topwater bait. They helped me make a 2nd place in a tournament this past Sat. I know I don't live near you and a lot of areas fish different but I have learned a lot on this site and if you need any more info just pm me I'm always willing to help anyone out.

Good Luck the next time you go out'!!!!!

20 fish and you are wondering what you could have done different? Well, you could have stayed home, or taken the wife out for dinner.

Sounds to me like you had it going on. Congratulations.

I guess I am happy with the day I just would have liked to put more big fish in the boat. so many of them were around a pound.

and the reason I left the lake is because the jet skis and water skiers were out in force.

I would probably have looked for a spot farther up the lake away from the jet skiers, on my lakes that's an option if you have a bigger engine that can get you there faster so it doesn't take all day to get there.  I like fishing water that is shallow enough they can't really run in it, and loaded with stumps and/or rocks so they just avoid the area totally anyway.  No wake zones are great for that.  They can't go very far in there unless they idle and they don't seem to like to do that much.  

Otherwise, what I'd have done differently is NOT caught as many fish as you did, I'm lucky to pull out over 5 decent ones in one trip.  Usually none are over 2 pounds though, most are only a pound.  You had a great day it sounds like.  

Just curious why you ask.

Were you catching mostly smalls? Was this a poorer showing for you on this lake?

yeah the average on this lake is probably around 1.5 lbs and man a couple barely broke 1 lb. the carp are really getting thick on this lake too so I wonder if that has an effect? it seems that last year I caught a couple over 3 .5 lbs per trip and now just one in 4 times fishing it. I guess i am looking for a new game plan to tip the scales. I know they are there and I want to catch them.

Your in MN. My guess is you are post spawn? The big ones are the females. Fish slow for them, near spawning banks. They'll reappear in your catches soon, when they get more aggressive again.

You mentioned there is an offshore hump.. I would use spinner baits / crank baits around this area, it has potential to hold big fish with the access to deep water and bait fish always in the area. Chances are you will find a good mix of smallmouth and largemouth here if your lake has both species. Otherwise you did a good job by the sounds of it, it sounds like the fish are schooling in your area, which is typical post spawn behaviour after the female leaves and the male is finished gaurding the fry. Or you may be hitting the gaurding males, which are usually smaller than the females, who at this point are recouperating in deeper water, so they require a slow presentation if you want to get bites from them.  When bass school usually you will find fish the same size in one area. So don't be afraid to change things up.