Sign in to follow this  
jb_adams

FIRST JIG FISH!  Finally!

Well, after almost two years of trying, I finally caught my first fish on a jig.  Yeah, I said almost 2 years.  My buddy catches fish all the time on jigs when we fish.  We'll use the same color etc.  I have just always missed the bite or the line broke.

So the curse of "no jig fish" is over.  Alas.....it was a small fish.

(how small was it?)

I was using 10lb Suffix braid and when added to a 6ft medium action Falcon rod and a 5/16oz finesse jig, I can feel a fish fart it's so sensitive.  So when I felt the bite, it felt pretty solid.  I reacted quickly and set the hook.  Got the fish to the boat and then I was disappointed.  Look what was on the other end of the line........

FirstJig-fish-15lbPerch-small.jpg

Well, at least the curse is over and things should really pick up now.  I hope..... ;D  Hey, this perch was about 1-1/2lbs!  She was a pretty fat little gal for her size and I could lip land it.  (yes, saying that makes me feel better)

WTG jb....Now that the ice is broken, go gett'em

Big O

Now you understand the feel of jig fishing. The whole idea is to get 5 quality bites a day instead of feeding off dinks. Keep at it and watch your line. Many bites you will never feel, just see the line jump or move to one side. Good luck, keep it up, it is worth the effort.

GREAT GOING! Last year I did the same thing, I fished and fished, mostly only using jigs for a little over a year, until I broke the ice. It is now my favorite bait, and one of my most successful.

Hey,

It has fins and gills so it counts!  ;)

Now, your homework assignment is to go back out and catch a larger one and then let us see the pics and read the story.

Great job!  You hit a single and how you need to go back to the plate and swing for the fences.  :)

WTG jb....Now that the ice is broken, go gett'em

Big O

Thought you might want to know that's a RAGE TAIL CRAW TRAILER in that picture! ;)

Congrats on catching your first fish on a jig.  I was unable to catch any bass on a jig until I started using the Rage Tail chunks this year.  I had tried numerous trailers prior to that and never caught any bass and was ready to give up..

Congrats on catching your first fish on a jig. I was unable to catch any bass on a jig until I started using the Rage Tail chunks this year. I had tried numerous trailers prior to that and never caught any bass and was ready to give up..

I love the way the Rage Tail craw trailer looks.  (I'm not trying to sell Big O's products here nor am I sponsored or on staff)

I typically use hula grubs or twin tail grubs but lately I've been using either Rage Tail (more colors selection needed I think) and T-rigged Lake Fork craws.  I like how the Rage tail has a different action than the grub.  It almost seems more aggressive.  It's just different, I'll say that.

Guys, I know how to feel a bite.  I have just never been lucky enough to get a solid bite until now and one that I reacted to fast enough.  I usually get a tug and then it's all over.  Someone told me this rule, First tug I'm here, second tug, I'm about to spit the bait, third tug means you missed me sucker!  If you don't react fast enough, you'll miss the strike.  I admit, I don't watch my line often enough but I do try to pay attention to it.  I usually fish with very little slack anyway.  Most of the ones I've hooked up, the line broke or something.  I've learned to tie better knots too.

No joke, with 10lb Suffix braid, I can't tell you if it's a Miller Lite or  Bud Lite can on the bottom but I can tell you it's a can and not a rock.  It's crazy how much more sensitive it is between fluorocarbon and braid.  Even a bite from a perch feels like a decent bass! ;D

are those eakins jigs? nice! those are my fav. as far as feeling a bite, a lot of times you really wont feel a bass "tapping" it, at least not the bigger ones. when a bigger fish takes a jig, its more of a dead wieght on the end of the line, or you cant even feel the weight of the jig. as soon as you feel a disturbance in the force, hammer it! swings are free!  :)

-j

I have learned that not only the feel of thwe bite, but watching my line gets me more hooksets. Do you watch your line also?

are those eakins jigs? nice! those are my fav. as far as feeling a bite, a lot of times you really wont feel a bass "tapping" it, at least not the bigger ones. when a bigger fish takes a jig, its more of a dead wieght on the end of the line, or you cant even feel the weight of the jig. as soon as you feel a disturbance in the force, hammer it! swings are free! :)

-j

It's a local supplier that makes the jig.  I forget the name but they are much like an Eakins jig except this one has red-dotted eyes and two cable-wire guards spread like a V instead of a single guard.  It's a nice jig and costs about the same.

I admit, I rely on feel too much vs. watching the line.  That's probably my hangup.  It's rather difficult to watch your line with 10lb braid compared to mono or fluorocarbon.  It's harder to see on the water in some cases.  I will be watching my line more

I was told that big fish feel like a dead weight or all the sudden you just lose your bait like it's not there.  My bud follows the Free-Swing rule too.

I sent Big-O the following PM and I'm posting it here to let everyone know that these baits are great!  Just in case you are not sold on them, I am! :D

"Big-O

I wanted to let you know that my long awaited fish finally took the bait this last Saturday all thanks to the Rage Tail trailer.  In the thread below, I was excited to have finally landed any fish at all on a jig.  For some reason,  I have not been able to catch a fish on a jig for about two years.  Either I have not fished it aggressively enough (big possibility) or not in the right places (maybe), or my flipping technique was not quiet enough.  Either way, I have a box full of various jigs in all sizes, colors, and combinations.

This weekend I managed to land my first bass and I give the credit to using the Rage Tail craw chunk.  The action that trailer has is unlike any other and I LOVE how it looks when it's swimming.  It looks like a Ninja throwing martial arts moves vs. a grub tail just swimming. (haha)

Not ONLY did I land my first bass.I managed to pull a 5-6lb monster from the same spot right after that fish.  It was easily 24 long and on my lake, that's not only a quality kicker fish, it's also the big bass winner in a tournament.

I immediately bought a new pack of trailers on the way home.  I can't wait to pick up a few more packs in various colors.  I'm sold on them.  THANKS!!"

congrats on the #1 dude.

congrats on the #1 dude.

Now that #1 is out of the way, the curse has been lifted and I'm catching lots of fish.  Strange huh! ;D  I really enjoy flippin' jigs.

Next phase JIG'a'MANIAC...... but it's a fun way to be  ;)

Kudos

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Is that a rocky or a green sunfish??? I'm pretty sure it's not a perch, congrats on the jig fish!!! I've always caught fish on jigs, but not very consistently, i gotta practice more.

Tight Lines

-Jason

It looks like a warmouth to me.

Is that a rocky or a green sunfish??? I'm pretty sure it's not a perch, congrats on the jig fish!!! I've always caught fish on jigs, but not very consistently, i gotta practice more.

Tight Lines

-Jason

I think it is a warmouth, goggleye.rock bass..whatever you call them.

Yes, I like using 10lb braid on finesse jigs because the sensitivity is way better than fluorocarbon.  I have my drag reduced down so if I get wild on a hookset, I won't rip their lips off.  I really do enjoy using Suffix braid.  No line memory and I loose less jigs this way.

This is an old thread that I resurfaced.  I thought it was relavent since the first fish I caught was a small rockbass.  I have since caught another rock bass before my actual largemouth bass as my first real bass.  Now that the first official bass has been caught, I've caught a walleye and several bass in the last two days on a jig.  The curse is lifted!