Sign in to follow this  
Grubber

Live Bait; Bad or Good

Not as much as fried foods or pastry ::)  There is nothing wrong with using live bait, but the challenge is to catch 'em on artificals.  Not to say that live bait is not a challenge, but figuring out the patterns and the behavior makes it more interesting for me.

Only thing i use nightcrawlers for is when i pinch them into little pieces and catch some bluegills

I can't remember the last time I used live bait-I prefer lures, but there is nothing wrong with using live bait.  

Depending on where you are, things are different I guess. In Florida you can't beat gold river shiners for large bass. It does kind of take the challenge out of it but it sure is fun to pull in 4-5 pounders one after another.

I like catching real big fish and lots of 'em.

I fish artificials exclusively for largemouth bass. I catch my share and some of them are pretty nice, occasionally huge. I don't know how challenging it is, I mostly fish ponds that hold big bass. That' how I like to fish, I fish where big fish live.

So, when I'm fishing on the Tennessee River, whether it's for giant striper or monster smallmouth, I want to catch 'em, all of them. In order to catch lots of big fish it really helps to feed them what they like to eat and they really like minnows!

I see lot's of what appear to be very good bass fishermen throwing tubes and jigs all day long. We stop and talk with them everyday. They usually catch one or two, 2 or 3 lb smallmouth. Some of the striper guys catch 8 and 10 lb stripers on sassy shad lures. Everyone's having a good time and I'm not making fun of anyone, it's just not what I do.

Live bait? It works for me.

depends on time of year, late fall or hard water the way to go. 4 to 5 inch shiners on a slip bobber the ticket for me in cold weather.

Ive hardly ever cought a bass on live bait  i catch catfish on nightcrawlers.. dont know where yall fish but  crickets work best for bluegills and i ahve cought some bass on minnows but msotly crappie and catfish..