Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

Trimming Jigs

Yup, I trim them until they are about 1/4" below the hook. I like them as compact as possible.

I don't really trim the skirt of the jigs, but I do trim the weedguards, I like the weedguard to be BARELY above the hook point and if I feel the weedguard is too thick, I'll cut a few fibers out. That is unless its a heavy jig that I plan to use in the thickest of weeds, then I leave the weedguard alone.

I never trim skirts or weedguards, I don't think it is necessary.

8-)

I don't really trim the skirt of the jigs, but I do trim the weedguards, I like the weedguard to be BARELY above the hook point and if I feel the weedguard is too thick, I'll cut a few fibers out. That is unless its a heavy jig that I plan to use in the thickest of weeds, then I leave the weedguard alone.

I do the exact same thing.  I feel like most weedgaurds are too thick and too long.  If you push it down and it sticks on the hook then that might be a biggun you just missed.  I also fan out the weedgaurd a little bit.

I trim all of my jigs but I also make them. I like the skirt to be in 2 to 3 lengths depending on how many different layers or materials I am using to make it. i want a big profile most of the time.

I keep sissors in the boat in case I want to remodel a jig skirt while I am fishing. I find it easier to trim on the water than wish I had more bulk or length.

I don't trim fg 12 but do trim fg 30 and 40 and flare it.

Over the years I have figured out that a lot of "missed" fish were due to a too stiff weed guard.  I thin them out and trim them down so they are almost level with the hook point and are flexable.

I trim my skirts so the legs of the trailers I am using get full motion.  An example is when using a Berkley Chigger craw or a Netbait chunk.  If the skirt is too long the legs will not move properly or at all.  I trim the skirt down until the legs move freely, usually to just behind the hook bend.

it varys, on where I am fishing or what I will be thowinf into.

here is a video that will help out more

http://www.another site/fishing-videos/jig-fishing/

memo

Those two videos in that link are extremely informative on the all about of jigs, definetly recommend watching them if your new to jigs.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I also fan out the weedguards, it makes the "shield" of the weedguard larger.

I almost never trim my skirts. I will trim a weedguard though and thin it out if it needs it.

Hey no need to thank me, I have learned so much from this place. The least I can do is help out an teach others as much as I can. Just like the rest of the members here.

tight lines everyone

memo