Sign in to follow this  
Low_Budget_Hooker

Fishing kids

I just read cjbass's post about the joy of fishing.  Every time I hear about a young gun catching fish, it brings me back to my first days in the sport with my dad.  One of the greatest things about fishing isn't just the fact that it never gets old, but the fact that the memories don't either.  

We all have so many great memories of fishing, and now many of you get to pass that along to your kids and start building memories together.  I don't have any kids of my own but  I am very involved with getting kids into the sport.

Anyway, I figured I would start a post where you can all show off your junior champions.

So let's see 'em!  

BTW, parents, be sure to share this post with your kids, let them know you are so proud of them that you want to share it with all your fishing friends!

Here's my little one with a 4'6" rod and a spinning reel. It was his first fish on a lure. He was using the strike king bleeding spinnerbait.

post-3520-130163004359_thumb.jpg

Well heres another one I got of Gavin.Wish he would of caught that one but he did an excellent job weighing it for me.

g-man2.jpg

You didn't catch those at Universal Studios did you?LOL

Have any of you guys seen the gills  there?Take a look if you go there huge!

My daughter Dawn and her first pike (The pike was 27" long and blind in one eye).

Dawn was apprehensive about those teeth :o but a good sport just like her mom

Roger

Pike27Dawn.jpg

I am going to start taking my 5 year old nephew fishing this year, so far he has only got to watch bassmaster and His dad has an olod fishing game on PS2 that i help him play.

I am going to start taking my 5 year old nephew fishing this year, so far he has only got to watch bassmaster and His dad has an olod fishing game on PS2 that i help him play.

Nick take him out in the yard and give him a casting lesson. It will make taking him much easier.

One point to make,when you take a kid fishing make it fun.I like to act stupid,talk funny,anything to keep a smile on their face.That way if we don't catch anything we still had fun.In the summer give them time to swim if they want.And always,hand a kid the rod and ask them to hold it for you if they didn't see ya set the hook!Not trying to preach it,just thought I would add that.

One point to make,when you take a kid fishing make it fun.I like to act stupid,talk funny,anything to keep a smile on their face.That way if we don't catch anything we still had fun.In the summer give them time to swim if they want.And always,hand a kid the rod and ask them to hold it for you if they didn't see ya set the hook!Not trying to preach it,just thought I would add that.

CJB, RIGHT ON!

And here's the best part, that same evening you'll realize

that it's been a long time since you had that much fun fishing.

Roger

WeakfishDawn.jpg

Here's my little girl! Like CJ said, keep it fun for them! That day she spent about 15-20 minutes total fishing, that evening I asked her if she had fun. Her reply? When are we going again Dad?   :)

post-161-130163004362_thumb.jpg

She's darlin' B89!Little girls love to fish.I have taken my neices.Our" lil'sissy" is only 4 months old.She does have a wiggle wart for a rattle.Gotta start em' while there young.

RoLo, I'm with Tenka, i've never seen a fish like that before. :o  The head kinda looks like a Bass', the body is slender, but i've caught Bass that thin before.  It's the markings that throw me off.  If you could tell me what it is I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks CJ! We're quite proud of her! Surprisingly, I never pushed her towards fishing. She came up to me one day and ask me to take her. That was an awesome surprise! Wiggle Wart at 4 months? Hmmmm, wish I had thought of that one! Although, I don't think Mom would have approved! LOL!

B89,that's cool she decided for herself.I never pressure the boys to go.Sometime I have to sneak out on Gavin(when its real windy,etc.)

Yep,started out with a Wiggle Wart,gonna wean her to a DD22.My wife was alright with it after I disinfected it and took the hooks off.Gotta remember to take the hooks off!

B89,that's cool she decided for herself.I never pressure the boys to go.Sometime I have to sneak out on Gavin(when its real windy,etc.)

Yep,started out with a Wiggle Wart,gonna wean her to a DD22.My wife was alright with it after I disinfected it and took the hooks off.Gotta remember to take the hooks off!

I know what you mean about sneakin out! I don't have any problem taking her for bass, but if I get the itch for musky..... well, that's a tough one to try and explain why she can't go!

RoLo is that a trout or a weakfish? Kind of looks like a speck trout body but the markings are right. So, what is it and where did you catch it?

I'm not Rolo but that is a weakfish.

the fish in rolos pic is a Squeteague (weakfish). One of the best eating saltwater fish there is. Our bay was loaded with them before I was born. They are slowly making a comeback, I caught 2 in my life, both around 7 lbs. Beautiful when you first boat them,..covered in purple and red hues.

Now, back to the kids!

Here is my little buddy.

He is 6 and loves fishing.

I have realized the Evil Bait Monkey does not discriminate based on age.

Sometimes when we go out it's a toss-up between fishing or running the boat. :)

post-2142-130163004365_thumb.jpg

My little fishin' buddy only 11 months old and already take her with me to some of the more tame places I fish. She likes to help me serenade fish out of smaller ponds by being loud enough to make her voice echo (then she gets confused by the echo.). One day I wasn't catching anything at all. The air temps were in the upper 30's, no clue what the water temps were...I just know cold. The wife came down with her to see how I was doing and the little one started serenading them and lo and behold...caught three within 10 mins. ;D Can't wait to start teaching her when she gets enough coordination to do it. It's gonna be great. :D If I can find a pic that is smaller than the 150 kb limit, I'll post it. :P

Rolo,

What type of fish is that, i have never seen one before with those marking?

That's a "weakfish".

We were over a school of 7-lb weaks while drifting dead spearing off Sandy Hook, New Jersey.

My daughter caught one, my wife caught two and I got skunked (it was one of my happiest days).

The weakfish is a cousin of the spotted seatrout found in the lower 48.

They're beautiful fish, and are called weakfish because they have weak mouths like a crappie.

In New York and northward the weakfish is known as a "squeteague".

Roger