Sign in to follow this  
Topwater_Popper

Accuracy of the Fish Weight Calculator?

How accurate is the fish weight calculator that is on this web site?  Do you need to subtract a few pounds or add a few pounds?  I do not own a scale mysel, so I would like to know the ability of the calculator.  Thanks.

Topwater Popper

on my big fish, my x-tools said 14.9, and the fish weight mesurments said 14.7.  so i am guessin pretty dern accuarate

Most calculators are good for small to big but are poor for realy huge bass. I am suprised that it was so close to your 14. once you get over 16 the caculators are usualy off by pounds not ounces

does that have to do with how distorted the girth of a huge fish can get??

It can be pretty accurate...its more of a baseline, in my opinion..but I haven't really looked into how the formula came about or anything like that.

According to the weight calculator my PB weighed in at about 11 lbs.  According to my Berkeley digital scale I had at the time ..... 10 lbs. 8 oz.  You look at some of those Texas Share-a-Lunkers ..... the weight calculator is way off.

So my opinion is it's a descent estimate, but not accurate.

Optional weight estimate based on TL*TL*G/1200:                              10.6

(Rough estimate for torpedo shaped fish like bass)                        

Optional weight estimate based on TL*TL*G/1000:                              12.8

(Rough "California" estimate for full-bodied fish like gravid bass)                        

Optional weight estimated based on TL*G*G/800:                              10.3

(Rough estimate for bass, per Outdoor Life and Hal Schramm)                        

The above are based on a length of 27 and a girth of 17.5. From this centerpoint of approximately 10 pounds, the formulae wander grossly.

The simple solution if you wish to know the weight of a fish is to get a scale.

Log (weight in grams)= -4.83 + 1.923 x Log (total length in millimeters) + 1.157 x Log (girth in millimeters). This is the formula used by Florida Fisheries Biologists with adjustments made for abnormal shape.

... and that's exactly how it's designed - to give you a close ballpark figure.  Due to endless variations, it's impossible to be dead-on accurate.  

The variation between what the weight calculator says and the actual weight is minimal, so you can trust it.

It 's a whole lot better than the eyeballmeter for shure.  ;)

It makes it a lot harder to catch 7 or 8 lb bass, that's for sure.

Guest avid
The variation between what the weight calculator says and the actual weight is minimal, so you can trust it.

It 's a whole lot better than the eyeballmeter for shure. ;)

Yeah, but using the eyeball meter always gives you bigger fish  ;) ;D