Sign in to follow this  
worm

YES!!! Permission Granted!  Plus a ?

Hey all.  Second post here.  I posted this in the BPS forum but I have a question as well.

1st.  Here is what I posted.  I just get giddy thinking about it.

Just got back from the Dr.'s office who also happens to be a personal friend. I knew he owned some property S.E. of the city with some farm ponds on it. He gave me written permission to fish it and directions on how to get there.

He said there are 4 ponds on it, all of which are too small for a boat but you can cast to any place from the shore.

The ponds were stocked regularly with LM for the last 10 years. He also said that when they bought the property about 3 years ago they went fishing and caught about 30 LM all 2 1/2 lbs or larger within about an hour.

They have pulled some of the smaller one and relocated them to some other ponds on some friends property but anything they have caught 4lbs or larger has stayed in the ponds. The last time he went was last fall and they caught a ton then as well.

Can't wait to check it out. Will have to be the weekend after Easter since I have plans between now and then.

2nd.  My question...I have never fished a farm pond.  Is there anything special for this time of year since these fish do not get pressured hardly at all?  What type of lure would you use?  Spinner, Jig, Wacky worm, T-rig, C-rig.

Just want to be able to have a great time.

Thanks,

Worm

You could probably catch fish on about any type of lure in any color in a situation like that. I have a small lake where I can catch bass until I get tired and quit. Normally I will fish a black/brown jig and trailer for bigger fish and a pearl slug-o for smaller fish. Early mornings, late evenings or overcast days with water temp 70+ it is topwater time. If the surface is choppy go to a buzzbait or prop bait, calm water calls for a popper or Zara Spook walking the dog. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

8-)

Guest bigtex

Pond fishing is mainly what I do.  This question is just too easy.  If it was me, and I wish it was, I would use a baby brush hog and/or senko.  I would t-rig them with the lightest weight possible.  As far as color I would get junebug and pumpkin seed.  I would might even get watermelon seed.  A blk/blu jig with a blk/blu craw tailer would also benefit you.  Good luck and be sure to post some pics.

Thanks for the replies guys.  It's great to know that I have the Senkos and the jigs in the colors that you recommended.  I don't have any poppers.  Never tried them.  I hear the bait monkey calling.  

Worm

Guest bigtex
You'll wear them out with a tiny torpedo. :)

ooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!    I forgot about the tiny torpedo!!!  Man I can't believe I did that.  You can't go wrong with a tiny torpedo if your fishing top water baits.

horny toads.  it wouldn't even be fair.  if they didn't want it, senko.  watermelon cream- weightless trig

It would be easier if I was along with you showing you what would work best. How far from Missouri is this and I'll bring the beer.  ;)

try a texas rigged u-tail! HAVE SOME FUN!

Guest avid

A situation like this is great for testing lures and techniques.  I would bring everything I had, but after assuring myself that the pond was indeed loaded with bass, I would start fishing the baits and/or techniques that I have the LEAST confidence in.   What a great way to perfect a technique and gain confidence in a presentation.

Have fun dawg.   wish i was with ya'

avid

A situation like this is great for testing lures and techniques. I would bring everything I had, but after assuring myself that the pond was indeed loaded with bass, I would start fishing the baits and/or techniques that I have the LEAST confidence in. What a great way to perfect a technique and gain confidence in a presentation.

Have fun dawg. wish i was with ya'

avid

BINGO!!!!!!!!

You'll probably clean the lake out with that old fashioned,out of fashion bait,a plain ole Texas rigged plastic worm.What colors?Red Shad,Grape  shad;I used to catch more on a plain old purple or black worm.

A situation like this is great for testing lures and techniques.  I would bring everything I had, but after assuring myself that the pond was indeed loaded with bass, I would start fishing the baits and/or techniques that I have the LEAST confidence in.   What a great way to perfect a technique and gain confidence in a presentation.

Have fun dawg.   wish i was with ya'

avid

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Ditto!  8-)

I love a weightless trick worm, you can twitch them across the top or let them drop and slowly bounce them along the bottom.  White and watermelon both work well for me and provide a nice range.  I'd probably try that or a trap, but I have a lot of confidence in both.

Like avid said you can really learn a lure in this situation- I gained a lot of confidence in poppers under similar conditions, and we all know your best tool is confidence.

And always remember: tie on a white or firetiger rooster tail and you can't help but catch fish!

I agree with what Avid posted, try something different.  You mentioned your friend only fishing it a couple of times, so there can't be much pressure on the fish.  Chances are they've never seen any lures like yours, or if they have don't remember, they'll likely take just about anything. (that's been my experience in a situation like yours)  Good luck!  :)

A situation like this is great for testing lures and techniques. I would bring everything I had, but after assuring myself that the pond was indeed loaded with bass, I would start fishing the baits and/or techniques that I have the LEAST confidence in. What a great way to perfect a technique and gain confidence in a presentation.

Have fun dawg. wish i was with ya'

avid

I agree totally with you.  I can assure you that they are loaded.  I have seen the pictures of the quantity and quality of the fish in these ponds.

Watch out for the pasture patties :D :D :D

;D You're not too far off. There are ranchers out there and my Doc said the first couple of times my son and I go I should probably call him so that he can let one rancher in particular know ahead of time that we are coming out. Apparently the rancher in question....don't take too kindly to strangers in these parts ( in my best cowboy movie accent) ;D

He said that once "Phil" gets to know who I am then we won't need the Doc to call ahead and let them know we're coming. I also think it is funny that the "Doc" has to call ahead so we do not have any negative experiences. ;D

Worm