Sign in to follow this  
Toronto_Discus

Bass keeps juming out of the water?????

Does anyone know why sometime Bass keeps jumping out of the water?  I haven't had much luck this year where I haven't caught a single bass yet.  Over the weekend, I noticed that basses & walleyes keep jumping out of the water but they are not baiting to any lures.  I tried spinners, DT, worms, minnows but none of them seem to triggle a bait.  

Guest bigtex

I had this happen to me the other day.  They are going after the small bugs on the water.  I would use a popping type bait, ex pop-r, skitter pop, etc.  Even a tiny torpedo fished slowly will produce some hits.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest bigtex
Also the zara spooks are great. Don't be discouraged, the same happened to me as well. :'(

I forgot about the Zara Spooks.  Good point Shimano-king.

The same thing happened to me not too long ago - it was at night and I never did figure it out.  Tried senkos, surface lures, Rebel Pop'r etc to no avail.  I did not have my flyrod with me but I wonder if they would have responded to some little poppers or maybe a muddler minnow.

Hope it happens again when I DO have my flyrod.

I was fishing with a buddy of mine a few weeks ago and bass started hitting the surface just before dark.  We were fishing walleye's and panfish on a deep weed line with slip bobbers and worms.  After one of the bass cleared the water neither one of us could stand it anylonger, I just happened to bring my rod with a Mann's Hardnose frog tied on, so I tossed it into the weeds and low and behold ended up landing two keeper bass. You may want to try one of the various buzzfrogs in these situations, I truely beleive they imatate a baitfish more so than a frog.

The water temperature is actually colder than most days.  While I was fishing with 6 other boats, none of us caught anything.  All we saw were bass jumping everywhere.  Does the weather has any effects on the appetite of the bass (such as a apporaching strom)?

I've seen bass do this alot in small pond and stuff.  They are trying to eat the bugs buzzing around the surface.  The way I ended up catching them was throwing a small watermelon ribbon-tail worm rigged wieghtless.  I rigged the worm on a spinning rod with 6 or 8 lbs test line.  I just kind of swam it along the surface.  I've caught alot of fish doing this.  They generally aren't the biggest fish in the lake but I would catch a good one every now and again.

If they are hitting bugs, try some flies or poppers.

The bass in my pond do that all day long.  It drives me nuts sometimes, to the point where I will put off doing other chores to fish for a little bit.  Unfotunately, I haven't been able to use a topwater because of all the foliage, which is where the bass are burried, but, there is a solution I've found...  Try using a weightless tube worm.  I find I'm able to pitch and flip the tube very close to the edges of the plants and the tube tends to sink into the bushes and the WHAMMO!  It takes a little practice, but you'll see its a very helpful technique...at least I do...

that also happened to me about 3 days ago. i tried everything. even a rebel pop-r (which i usually have luck with ) and nothing. so i tried one of my lures which i use for big bluegill (tiny torpedo in pink with a blue back) and it worked great.

Try a small black buzzbait with a trailer hook.

For some reason they seem to it the buzzbait.

The bass are chasing minnows from the colder depths to the top water. The bass give chase and the minnows go for the surface in the hopes of getting away.

and another thing, bass aren't out for excitement. Boaters, waterskiers and wakeboarders are on the lake for fun. They jump and make noise for fun. Bass are out for survival. They are not jumping for any other reason but survival. They need to eat.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I'd say more often fish suck insects off the surface with a ploop or popping noise, not wasting energy going airborne to eat one bug. From my own observations bass jumping out of the water are chasing minnows or shad. The shad will jump out trying to escape, followed by a bass.

There are many presentation to fish for surface feeding bass. My favorites are small lipless crankbaits, spoons, inline spinners, anything I can cast beyond the action and pull through imitating a frightened baitfish. Try to match whatever forage the bass are chasing. A Boy Howdie works well this time of year off deep points around such feeding. Whatever length the bass are you can fish a lure up to 1/3 it's length and get it bit quite easily when they are in a frenzy. A magnum Spook walked over them gets well bit. I want to always cast into any wind since baitfish tend to travel with it and bass orient loking upwind, in that case using a heavy buzzbait or spinnerbait that will fly against wind, or a slim dense crankbait designed for casting in wind.

Be very careful not to spook the baitfish or the bass down. Keep yourself facing into the sun so as not to cast a shadow over the schools. Never cast into the middle of them. I always cast to the far side hoping to contain both baitfish and bass closer to me. If you are on the lake and see the boil, motor up within about 50 yards then cut the motor to idle. I've watched many a school dive as soon as I killed the outboard. They will stay around motor noise since they are accustomed to that, but if you stop the motor suddenly they hear something they don't usually hear, that of a boat continuing across them. Leave it running and troll as close as possible, then hold the boat there at the lowest speed setting.

Jim

Try using a super fluke by zoom if you are fishing shallow water compounds or ponds.  It will ride a little under the water but still near the top(rig it weedless.)  You should get hits with it.  It always catches for me.  It does take some time to get the swimming action down.....make sure you don't just reel it in.  Give it two or three little tuggs then one bigger one to make the bait roll(make it look like it is injured or going to heaven).  Many times they will strike it during this time period.  Speed of lure will vary depending on mood of bass.

Try using a super fluke by zoom if you are fishing shallow water compounds or ponds.  It will ride a little under the water but still near the top(rig it weedless.)  You should get hits with it.  It always catches for me.  It does take some time to get the swimming action down.....make sure you don't just reel it in.  Give it two or three little tuggs then one bigger one to make the bait roll(make it look like it is injured or going to heaven).  Many times they will strike it during this time period.  Speed of lure will vary depending on mood of bass.

I love the fluke when I see fish jumping, and I love it when I dont see em too!. BTW, how big is that bass in your avatar!?