Sign in to follow this  
RODBENDER

do novice mistakes cost you fish

Got out on the lake for a while yesterday evening and noticed a good fish feeding on top ...

Couldn't get a strike on top so i picked up a jig and on the 3rd cast , wham , she took it , i set the hook

or thought i did ...Had just spooled the reel with new line and had not set the drag ...I would have had a chance except she headed straight for the boat .....couldn't tighten up the drag and reel up slack too ...

My PB is 6#14oz ....I feel this fish was bigger than that.

How many of yall make these stupid mistakes ?

this one may have cost me a new PB ..

The drag setting is a common mistake.  I still find myself setting the hook on a pre-adjusted drag.  We're all human but I will also say that by being one of those guys that actually adjust the drag during the fight (theoretically the wrong way to do it) that I leave myself open to this malfunction because of my own refusal to do it the right way.  

Old habits....

No!    The night before, I will tighten my cast control down, my first cast may only go 5 yards, this ensures I don't start my days with bad back lashes that occurs in the dark or low light conditions.   I'll go for the 40 yard cast first toss, and that is not a good thing, thus I limit my self on making early mistakes that might set the tone for one of those early comments, "not another day like this"!

After re-spooling all rods, this has eliminated the early morning, first cast backlashes.

I always ask my novice partner to test his drag on his first casts with each rod also.    Its routine for myself.

Cameras, nets, cull tags, are all set in their rightfull spots as having to search for them can make for bad day when partner is not available to assist if needed because he got his head in a box looking for camera.

Needle nose is already on deck, line clippers, any bait sprays is already on deck.

Anything in the early morning that spooks fish, like slamming lids in the quiet of the morning has hopefully been eliminated.

This is what makes team or having the same partner all the time so neat.    We move around the boat as one and know the quirks of each other.    

Practice being prepared in the boat will eliminate alot of rookie mistakes.     Having a ritual will eliminate a lot of mistakes before a fish is on.

Any one launch your boat different?  Or do you have set routine in load and unloading the boat.     Routine eliminates the simple mistakes of not checking plugs, livewells, and straps.

A few extra minutes before can make you have a safer and more pleasant day if the fish cooperate.

Matt.

Yes, dumb, dumb and dumb.

I missed a beauty because I had my drag set too tight.

I just forgot to reset it after I respooled the reel

She took the lizzard and headed west and never looked back.  The line popped and all I had were some fantastic memories of 5 seconds worth of a fun fish.

I also forgot to put the plug in the boat; cut the main line instead of the tag line and watched the lure sink to the bottom when I threw it overboard; broke my pole when I pulled real hard on a snag (and I know better); had the Motor Guide trolling motor prop fall off because I forgot to check to make sure it was tight; and had my cranking battery go dead at the dock because my on board charger had died and I did not check the voltage (with my voltage meter) before leaving home.

So, we all do dumb things so be prepared to learn from your mistakes.

It 's comforting to know that I 'm not the only one who forgot to put in the boat plug.  ::)

Guest ouachitabassangler

About a year ago during the spawn I lost a really nice bass, maybe one that would up my PB on this lake. I set the hook, it jumped (OH what a beauty), then took off out of the cove, under the boat, and towards open water. ZING. The line finished passing through the guides, leaving half a spool of line, the rod limp. WHAT? Then I remembered. The last time I used that rod the line was frayed so I cut it and just spooled the business end back on intending to splice it properly at home. I forgot. Now  I take time to take care of business when it's the best time to do it, no more procrastinating.

Not to mention all too common bad knots done in a hurry, not spitting, not stabbing the right loop. Those eat lures.

Jim

LMAO

ALL of the above, yearly.

The "cutting the tag line and throwing the lure overboard" is my forte'!  I think I've thrown more jigs overboard than I've caught fish on!

Don't forget to test the drag on a normal cast.    Testing in the boat before line has come off the spool will not be the same as testing with 20 yards of line out.   The drag will be set correctly once its has been casted out and then set.

Also, after new line has been spooled, its highly advisable to retest and set the drag after the line packs down also.

If i have time, I pay out my bitter ends behind the boat and spool them again.   The lines getting wet allows it to pack on tight and you are less likely to have any backlashes if properly adjusted on packed reel.    Plus, this eliminates any line twists that might have occured.

matt

The best advice is to learn from that mistake and get ready for the next one.Cause if you are anything like me you make another! ;D

fish and conditions will test your weaknesses and forgetfulness.i also have lost too many good fish from not having all my ducks in a row and got used like soap,...and BAM she was gone!!! :-[

It 's comforting to know that I 'm not the only one who forgot to put in the boat plug. ::)

Yeah I have a warning system in my boat.  It start to get my feet wet. ;D

J/K

all of us have little mishaps.  If someone says no its a lie.  If I listed them all I would bog down the internet.

Ditto on the boat plug..........stupid things you do that make you wish you had a hole to crawl into.  Just watch one of those Bill Dance blooper reels, it will make you feel better about yourself.

LMAO

The "cutting the tag line and throwing the lure overboard" is my forte'!  

AaHaa, mine is close. I sometimes tie mono leaders on my braid and I usually have to break out the bifocals for that. Too many times I've made the snip on the wrong "tag" after making sure the knots are smooth and tight. Aarrgghhh!!

I've had the drag thing happen before, the worst though is setting the hook and pushing down on the spool release button at the same time!  :o  doh!!

Oh, and then the time or two I didn't have the reel tightened onto the reel seat tight enough!   ;D

This is a hilarious, but very legit, topic, and as everyone has said-it happens to all of us, novice or not. I've found that after respooling my baitcasters, the previous drag setting I had is way too loose for the new "sitch ee ation". I like to attach a hook/lure on the boat or tree before getting out on the wa-wa and give it a good solid hook set to help me see if the drag is set wrong. That's a lot better way of accurately getting a true feel for how the drag will perform on a big fish as opposed to just stripping line off the reel by hand which I've been guilty of doing countless times. It's a little more effort, but well worth it. I have a hard time resetting the drag while a lunker is on.

Guest the_muddy_man

My two personal favorites Tying a great po;ymar knot then clipping the tag end and wooppss winds up being the end the lure is attached to and #2 Forgetting to open the bail and going to cast Two goofiest things i do on the water

cart7 mentioned a couple of my....favorites. Hitting the release button while setting the hook-what a good time that is. :-? ;)

One time I thought it would be a good idea to leave the plastic cover on the cork handle of a new rod in order to save wear n tear. Stupid!  The first big bass I hooked yanked the rod right out of my slippery hands and into the lake... :-[ luckily I was able to grab it before it sunk out of reach.

mine would be using surface frogs like the sumo that many of the guys like, getting pounded by the bass of course haha and not waiting that 2-3 second period, i yank immediatley, then scream and get all excited while my friend and fishing buddy laughs his *** off, the other thing i have done a few times and would like to stop is, casting a soft plastic bait out about 10-20 feet and closing the bail too quickly, the bass pull on the line and start jetting the other way and yank the taught line as i frantically try to release the bail, play catch up and finally set the hook

No! The night before, I will tighten my cast control down, my first cast may only go 5 yards, this ensures I don't start my days with bad back lashes that occurs in the dark or low light conditions. I'll go for the 40 yard cast first toss, and that is not a good thing, thus I limit my self on making early mistakes that might set the tone for one of those early comments, "not another day like this"!

After re-spooling all rods, this has eliminated the early morning, first cast backlashes.

I always ask my novice partner to test his drag on his first casts with each rod also. Its routine for myself.

Cameras, nets, cull tags, are all set in their rightfull spots as having to search for them can make for bad day when partner is not available to assist if needed because he got his head in a box looking for camera.

Needle nose is already on deck, line clippers, any bait sprays is already on deck.

Anything in the early morning that spooks fish, like slamming lids in the quiet of the morning has hopefully been eliminated.

This is what makes team or having the same partner all the time so neat. We move around the boat as one and know the quirks of each other.

Practice being prepared in the boat will eliminate alot of rookie mistakes. Having a ritual will eliminate a lot of mistakes before a fish is on.

Any one launch your boat different? Or do you have set routine in load and unloading the boat. Routine eliminates the simple mistakes of not checking plugs, livewells, and straps.

A few extra minutes before can make you have a safer and more pleasant day if the fish cooperate.

Matt.

NICE PCI Matt... I am sure you novice is  like "what an anal retentive so and so" but organization WILL save lives... A soldier knows this... and in this  case saves FISH.. hahahahaha Matt I swear I can hear you on the boat giving a "convoy briefing" hahahaha

way to go brother!!!!

psssst I am the same way... not so much with the testing drag... but everything has to be layed out and in its place...

I still make rookie mistakes... but not because the tools of my trade aren't laid out correctly! hahahahaha

AL

Hmmmm. Well, the big one for me is setting the hook too early, or too late..... but then on that note, who is really to say ? If I set the hook really fast, and miss the fish, I'll probably think I set too early, and if I wait a while, then miss the fish, I will probably feel like I waited to long. But then I have to stop and remind myself, that at least with "some fish", they might not have ever taken it completely into their mouths, whether I had set to hook in .2 milli secoconds, or if I had waited until next year.

Drag settings are almost never a problem for me, as 1) my Okumas have the silkiest drags on the planet, and 2) I am am obsessive with checking my drag.... litterally like every other cast, all day, every day.

.....that, and I check my hook points a hundred times a day too.

Come to think about it, I'm pretty obsessive with all aspects of my gear.

Oh, here's one of my novice moves though; My casting accuracy is at best "inconsistent", and it kills me when I come up to a good spot, wing out my Hud, and put it right over an overhanging limb, or a boulder on a rocky point, etc, then have to move right into my hot spot to unsnag my lure :-( Doh ! I always cuss myself for those stupid moves. Probably has cost me a big fish here and there. Of course after 35 years of casting practice, I can't imagine it will ever get much better. Oh well.

Peace,

Fish

All of the above.

I think I've probably done everything that's been mentioned in this thread, at least once.

A few weeks ago I took off early from work to go fish with a friend of mine, on one of my first couple of cast, FISH ON!! and a nice fish too, I set the hook and began to reel in when I pulled the reel right off the rod!!  I didn't have my baitcaster tightened down on the rod.  I quickly had to put it back on the rod and tighten it down and then proceed to reel in the fish.  Thankfully I don't think my buddy saw it.  If he did he didn't say anything.  If he did, I'm sure that I would never hear the end of it.  LOL.

Once while night fishing I thought I was cutting the tag end off my buzz bait when instead I cut the main line and tossed the buzz bait overboard. Oops!

I've also forgot to open the bail on my spinning reel.  I feel like a "reel" idiot when I do that.  I've also casted the spinning reel and had the lure go forty feet in the air and then come back down about 5 feet from the boat.  Dork!