Sign in to follow this  
BucketmouthAngler13

Always be ready.

When i first started bass fishing, i was quite carless. If my line was nincked, or my knot wasn't good, or my drag set wrong, or somthing like that: I would just think "who cares. i probaly wont catch a fish on this lure anyway."

Well, over time i lost many lures to snags and many fish due to bad line or knots. But since i couldn't afford lures often back then, i started being more carfull for my wallets sake.

Earlier this summer i lost some big bass due to bad line, and i started being much more carfull for the fishes sake.

Now days if i have bad line, i cut it off right away. If my knot isnt perfect, i try again. If my drag is set wrong, I set it right. If my hooks are dull, I sharpen them. If my hooks are rusty, i change them ASAP. You should always be ready for the record bass, becuase you dont know when he will hit your lure.

If anything with your line isn't prefect, it will snap much more easily than you think.

As soon as i started be extra carfull, I started getting most of my lures out of snags. My line completly stopped snapping becuase of big fish. Sharping hooks meant less fish lost, and much better hook-ups. Drag settings right mean you can land 5lb fish on 2lb line.

Believe me, i save alot of money and alot of fish. If you are not carfull, you will regret it sooner or later.

So to those that need to know: If it isn't perfect, It isn't good enough.

Not to long ago i was using a crankbait, and i noticed the line was nicked. I said "I'll take just one more cast, then i'll change the line."

In the beggining of my cast, my bail acadently snapped shut, and my lure went sailing through the air. That mistake costed me $6, and it could have costed me a fish of a lifetime. The sad thing is I could have easily prevented it.

When i got my PB of 5lbs on my line, i was able to fight him in slow and steady, becuase I knew I had my line and hooks in good condition. I'm sure glad i was ready when he slammed my buzzbait, becuase he was ready to fight.

Anyone else lost big fish or exensive lures due to poor line/lure mantenice?

I'm sure everyone has.

I know i have lost several great bass..... I guess I just had to learn the hard way.

Tight lines and knots!

Matt

Excellent advice! I have a perfect example of that. Me and my buddies were fishing in this really good pike and smallie area. A good bass around here is around 4 pounds. All of a sudden this 8 pound smallie launches out of the water with my buddies lure in its mouth. It turns out he didn't tie a very good knot and he ended losing the bass and his favourite lure.

Great post, Matt!

Maybe a few guys that read this thread won't have to "learn the hard way."

There are a lot of things that happen while you are fishing than come up and cannot really be avoided, but by properly maintining and checking you equipement regularly, your tackle should not be one of them.

There are a lot of things that happen while you are fishing than come up and cannot really be avoided, but by properly maintining and checking you equipement regularly, your tackle should not be one of them.

exatly. sometimes when a bass gets of it wasnt your falt at all.

But there is no excuse to line snapping. If you do your part in keeping your tackle right, you'll have alot more confidence when fighting in fish.

Dude, for your age, you are way way far ahead of the curve! If I had been as on top of my game as you, I would have pictures of alot of fish that never made it to the net! Great advice!

Great post!  I read a similar post the other day and while fishing, I nailed a 3 pounder.  I proceeded to look at the line and thought, no need to retie!  10 casts later, my Leverage Buzzbait broke off and sailed into the middle of the lake!  Lesson learned!

Dude, for your age, you are way way far ahead of the curve! If I had been as on top of my game as you, I would have pictures of alot of fish that never made it to the net! Great advice!

thanks, your too kind. ;)

and BTW i learned most of everything i know about bass fishing from Bassholebuster14.

Great post!  I read a similar post the other day and while fishing, I nailed a 3 pounder.  I proceeded to look at the line and thought, no need to retie!  10 casts later, my Leverage Buzzbait broke off and sailed into the middle of the lake!  Lesson learned!

Dont you just hate that? i've lost more lures due to that than to fish.

another danger is stretch damage. you cant see it, but if your line has been under enough stress for long enough, it will be weakend badly.

ya i learned the hard way not this summer but last i lost a 9+lb fish in Mi! (beleive me i know the weight of fish) anyways the fish took my worm showed itself then turned ran and snapped my line like it was nothin i had my drag set to tight >:( since then ive always done the things u stated like sharpening the hooks looking for niks an always checking knots and drag.

Dont you just hate that? i've lost more lures due to that than to fish.

another danger is stretch damage. you cant see it, but if your line has been under enough stress for long enough, it will be weakend badly.

It wasn't the first time I had a lure sail across the lake! Hopefully it will be the last! I couldn't imagine losing a $20+ swimbait like that! Anyway, great advice! Thanks

Here's my story.  Just this past weekend I bought a new SPRO bronzeye frog.  I was fishing it on 30 lb Powerpro around some fall downs and other woody stuff.  I knew my line was rubbing against the wood, but, come on, it's braid after all, right? Wrong!  

I made a cast from the bank all the way across to the other side of a small inlet.  As soon as I let it go, I knew something didn't feel right.  And as I watched the $8 frog (supposedly) heading for the opposite bank, it just kept going...and going...right over the inlet and about 15 yds into the brush on the other side.  :o  I was able to walk around to the other side and after about 10 mins of digging around I found the frog.  I saved the bait AND learned my lesson.  

The problem wasn't my knot.  The line just broke right off about a foot up from the knot.  If I had hooked a fish, even a dink, it would have broke me off AND I would have lost the lure.  I definitely dodged the bullet this time.   ;)

Here's my story. Just this past weekend I bought a new SPRO bronzeye frog. I was fishing it on 30 lb Powerpro around some fall downs and other woody stuff. I knew my line was rubbing against the wood, but, come on, it's braid after all, right? Wrong!

I made a cast from the bank all the way across to the other side of a small inlet. As soon as I let it go, I knew something didn't feel right. And as I watched the $8 frog (supposedly) heading for the opposite bank, it just kept going...and going...right over the inlet and about 15 yds into the brush on the other side. :o I was able to walk around to the other side and after about 10 mins of digging around I found the frog. I saved the bait AND learned my lesson.

The problem wasn't my knot. The line just broke right off about a foot up from the knot. If I had hooked a fish, even a dink, it would have broke me off AND I would have lost the lure. I definitely dodged the bullet this time. ;)

same thing happend to me a couple weeks ago.

I had a SPRO Frog on, and a real big bass hit the lure. The line must have been nicked and i didn't know it, becuase it snapped on the hook set.

It is inportant to check your line after every few casts. because it can get damaged without yoou knowing it.

Good post!  I had a Rapala Jointed Shad Rap tied on, and just got my gear out of my truck.  On the first cast, without checking and retieing, I flung the lure halfway across the lake.  I was mad, but couldn't say anything because a family with little kids was only 20 feet away.  So much for the Shad Rap.  Some kid hopefully found it, and catches some nice bass on it.

i was the same way up till a few months ago. I remember when i was little and i'd throw buzzbaits all afternooon long and i lost alot of them to my line snapping. It was kinda frustrating just sittin at the pond having to retie, but it wasnt really a money thing to me.(me and my dad just shared lures all the time so i was throwing his stuff.) But lately i decided to devote more time to keeping my line in good shape and fresh, so i can catch more fish, ya know, whether it be in tournaments or out for fun. I have developed the habit of not using the nicest line, but i definitely change it a whole lot. Thats great that u've noticed the little things of fishing at your age man, great post.