Sign in to follow this  
Laggyman

What's a....

Sorry for being an idiot here, but I need some clarification on the terms you guys use...

So, I'll just put aside my pride and ask. What is a..

Point?

Creek?

Hump?

Channel?

Hm.....

Point: A shoreline feature where the shoreline makes a turn out into the lake and cuts back on itself forming a peninsula. These can be large main-lake features at the opening of a creek arm, or they can be as small as a boat. In natural lakes, a point may not be that obvious. It may only be discernable by weed growth outlining the point underwater. In this case, look at the weeds as if they were the shoreline. On a topo map, the contour lines of a point are shown as a V-shape.

Primary Point: A point that is on the main-lake, or is at the entrance to a large cove.

Secondary Point: A point that is inside a cove. They are always smaller than a primary point and further away from the main lake.

Creek or River Channel: In a reservoir, this is where the old river or creek used to be before the lake was inundated. All man-made reservoirs have them and they are the deepest areas. There is normally a drop-off associated with the edge of the channel and usually old tree/brush remains

Hump: An underwater island that generally rises gradually. On a topographical (topo) map, a hump will be signified by continuous contour lines that make a circle, oval, or other similar shape around the feature's contours.

The terms "structure" and "cover" often are used interchangeably by bass anglers, but it's helpful to differentiate between the two.

Cover: Cover consists of weeds, trees, branches, tulles, buck brush, stick-ups, rocks and man-made objects like docks, tires, etc. Cover is often confused with structure. The difference is cover is not geologic in nature. You can also have cover on structure. An example of this would be stick-ups (cover) on top of a hump (structure).

Structure: Geologic in nature, structure is any change in the on the bottom of a lake or river. IT may be a drop-off, rock pile, hump, hole, saddle, ledge, flat, channel trace, etc.)

Point: A small version of a peninsula in a lake

Creek: stream; smaller than a river

Hump: raised portion of the lake floor; high point in the bottom; a subsurface hill; a hill covered by water

Channel: The depression or cut where the original creek or river flowed before a reservior was built

Darn Catt you reply quick! LOL

I meant Cove as in

Secondary Point: A point that is inside a cove. They are always smaller than a primary point and further away from the main lake.

But that definition of Cover and Structure is great! I haven't given much thought to the difference...

Ok, so the posts I see regarding "fishing the main channels" only applies to reserviors??

So far all the translation into Japanese is going good. LOL. I'd like to thank you all for not making a dummy out of me ;) I really appreciate all the help!!

Laggyman the only dumb question is the on not asked   ;)

There are many anglers here who are completely willing to answer any question so fire away

Every one is gonna bail just cause I got a couple of quick answers in?

Sorry but I'm off work and have been setting at my puter writing a couple of articles.

Bass Resource pops up when someone post some thing, not trying to hog anything ::)